Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
From time to time photos that I delete will reappear in my photo library. I've heard that if you have "My Photo Stream" turned on this maybe the cause of this. I have four Apple devices: iPhone, iPad, iMac, and Macbook Pro. I've verified it is not enabled on any of the devices.

When deleted photos reappear they appear at the bottom of the album "All Photos" on my iPhone and not sorted by the date of the photo. This is really the only way I know that deleted photos have reappeared.

Does anyone know why this happens if there is a solution? I try to keep a very manicured photo library and its frustrating to have deleted photos reappear.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
question:

are you subscribed to iCloud Photos? iCloud Photos uploads yr photos automatically to iCloud.
and, at the same time, do also have My Photo Stream clicked as on?

i have never understood a scenario when a person would want to have iCloud Photos and My Photo Stream both turned on.
when i did this by mistake it led to slower syncing, duplicates, and photos that would not sync.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
question:

are you subscribed to iCloud Photos? iCloud Photos uploads yr photos automatically to iCloud.
and, at the same time, do also have My Photo Stream clicked as on?

i have never understood a scenario when a person would want to have iCloud Photos and My Photo Stream both turned on.
when i did this by mistake it led to slower syncing, duplicates, and photos that would not sync.

Yes I'm subscribed to iCloud Photos. I don't have My Photo Stream turned on. I checked all 4 devices (iPhone, iPad, iMac, Macbook Pro).

Just for fun i enabled my photo stream on all my devices and then turned int off on all. Just to see if somehow it was on one of them even though they all showed as it being off.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi

when you delete a photo on one of the 4 devices, after deletion, have you tried to go into the Recently Deleted folder in a macOS device and hit the Delete all button that should be deleting them for good without waiting for 30 days.

other than this, i can't think of anything that could be interfering with them being deleted across all devices.
other than if you have some kind of convoluted flow where your iPhotos library is also found on an NAS kind of setup that is set to restore back files somehow.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
face
hi

when you delete a photo on one of the 4 devices, after deletion, have you tried to go into the Recently Deleted folder in a macOS device and hit the Delete all button that should be deleting them for good without waiting for 30 days.

other than this, i can't think of anything that could be interfering with them being deleted across all devices.
other than if you have some kind of convoluted flow where your iPhotos library is also found on an NAS kind of setup that is set to restore back files somehow.

I've started doing that. Hopefully this mean I won't run into this issue again.

Glitchy95

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
This exact thing happened to me today after I update to the latest version of iOS. I open photo app and got weirded out because it was pictures I had deleted last week and they appeared right at the bottom as last pictures (but with the original date from couple weeks ago). I don’t have streaming photos but iCloud on iPhone and MacBook. I can only guess there was not a proper deletion from iCloud but still weird seeing them at the bottom as if recently download files.

rblue78

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
Hooker Corner, Indiana
I’m also experiencing this. With iCloud on, these three videos only appear on my iPhone. I figured disabling iCloud would do the trick but they keep reappearing and duplicating. Attached is an example of what I found yesterday. Super frustrating. I’ve got nine of them now and again, iCloud is off. If I delete and clear from recently deleted, they just come right back then duplicate.

Attachments

• D938C570-6C7B-4809-BC87-BC5687E27D04.png
    D938C570-6C7B-4809-BC87-BC5687E27D04.png
    8.4 MB · Views: 321

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
This exact thing happened to me today after I update to the latest version of iOS. I open photo app and got weirded out because it was pictures I had deleted last week and they appeared right at the bottom as last pictures (but with the original date from couple weeks ago). I don’t have streaming photos but iCloud on iPhone and MacBook. I can only guess there was not a proper deletion from iCloud but still weird seeing them at the bottom as if recently download files.
Same/similar thing happens here as well, with paid iCloud photo subscription, with the extra info that after each iOS update, only pictures in RAW format re-appear. They were deleted from recently deleted folder months ago...

rblue78

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
Hooker Corner, Indiana
Thought I'd drop my "fix" for this issue...
It was a backup and restore of the iPhone. Honestly, it's mostly psychological because this experience was such a pain in the ass in the past, but it's just so easy now. All apps drop back into place. Minimal work. Just be on wifi and leave your phone alone for a while...

It's been fine since. I'd prefer it never happened but whatever; There is a"fix." ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.