Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
For over a week iCloud Photo Library on iOS 8.1 has not uploaded anything.

It says "Uploading 230 items". If I take a new picture, the number increases.

Yesterday I got a notification saying iCloud Photo Library has not updated in 7 days. :roll eyes:

No idea how to fix this, and it's really bugging me.

Any ideas appreciated. It's truly shoddy what Apple have done here. And I don't care if it's a beta.

indefinitekarma

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
For over a week iCloud Photo Library on iOS 8.1 has not uploaded anything.

It says "Uploading 230 items". If I take a new picture, the number increases.

Yesterday I got a notification saying iCloud Photo Library has not updated in 7 days. :roll eyes:

No idea how to fix this, and it's really bugging me.

Any ideas appreciated. It's truly shoddy what Apple have done here. And I don't care if it's a beta.

Toggle iCloud Photos on and off, that usually works for me. Make sure you are connected to Wifi.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
My 5000 + photos uploaded in a couple of days.

Perhaps there's a problem with your wifi?

AnimAlu

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Long Beach, CA
For me it took 4-5 days to upload about 1700 photos. I did notice later that if I had the photos app open on my iPhone, things seemed to upload at a quicker rate. I could log into iCloud on my PC and watch the thumbnails being generated as they uploaded. The final 400 or so uploaded within 1 hour with the app open.

blindside217

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Mine is the same way. Stuck with absolutely no progress. I have signed out and back in and turned everything off and on. It is working correctly with the same Apple ID on my iPad. New pictures upload in a few seconds but the iPad does not have any pictures from the iPhone and the iPhone has none from the iPad.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I love your bold red text. You should care that it is beta.

Nope.

It's an absolute disgrace that a public product is this pathetically rubbish. This is even worse than Maps as it's my ********** camera roll. :mad:

Worse still, the hard copies aren't even included in iCloud Backups so I can't even backup my device, disable iCloud Photos and restore it, there is no obvious way to disable iCloud Photos without fear of losing photos.

I don't even know what's safe on my device now and Apple have seriously upset me. And believe me I'm as much of an evangelist as the people who leap to the defence of Apple and constantly say "don't you know its a beta?"

Just because it's a beta doesn't mean it should literally not work AT. ALL. I would be cool with it if it was a private beta, but this is a public beta and these sorts of kinks shouldn't exist.

The sort of thing I'm okay with are edits and rotation not propagating to iCloud.com or other devices. That's what "it's a beta stupid" applies to. But not the failure to even upload photos, getting stuck, no way to manually request an update or upload, different counts on different devices on different settings screens, it's absolutely completely and utterly, TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

I can't import my pictures to my computer unless they're totally unedited and with today's date as their metadata a feature which existed before this crap update. I either have to import the pictures unedited and even unrotated, all dated the date of import rather than date of capture, or just surrender to Apple's god-awful beta product to keep the photos safe. It's a lose lose and it's my memories.

The lack of a Photos.app for Mac added to the barebones nature of the product on the web, makes it all the more of a disaster. And to think a once great application like Aperture is being canned for this heap of junk.

And when exactly is it going to be fixed? It's delay after delay after delay. iCPL didn't make the iOS 8 launch, now it's kept its beta tag and is a shoddy joke of a product. End users will be losing photos left right and centre over this.

This is the worst software launch in at least 10 years. There are problems with extensions, share sheets and more even after a x.1 update.

Anyone who defends this record really just needs to get a grip.

Apple suck at the cloud. Completely and utterly.

MobileMe, Ping, iTunes Match, iCloud Photo Library - they need to invest some of their billions into making it work. Not to mention iCloud.com Settings shows my old iPhone 5, 5S and iPad Mini, all of which have been long sold to other people after a full restore, with no way to remove them.

"It just works" ... what an absolute joke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
Read the GODAMN BETA SIGN AND UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS it's your own fault if you looses all your photos. if you are so afraid of loosing don't use the godamn thing!! how hard can it be?? I recall it's actually gives you a warning before turning it on that's its BETA and you should take a backup of your photos before you start using it.

And i see in another post you are hoping that apple are giving out the beta of the Mac Photos app. geez. and you will just bash that as well like it was not a beta app

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
The issue with uploads stalling is real and it has to do with how the photos were added to the phone's photo library.

I had to fix it by clearing out my camera roll and re-importing them with a third party app.

This is a real issue, and saying "It's just a beta, don't complain!" is idiotic.

iOS 7 betas sucked hard and everyone who complained got the "IT's JUST A BETA!!!11" responses. Then iOS 7 came out and still sucked. Buggy pile of garbage until 7.1.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Yes it's a beta, but even a beta should be able to handle the basics, which is uploading your photos to the cloud.

Being a beta is not an excuse for something that is the CORE functionality and distributed to ALL iOS users.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Read the GODAMN BETA SIGN AND UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS it's your own fault if you looses all your photos. if you are so afraid of loosing don't use the godamn thing!! how hard can it be?? I recall it's actually gives you a warning before turning it on that's its BETA and you should take a backup of your photos before you start using it.

And i see in another post you are hoping that apple are giving out the beta of the Mac Photos app. geez. and you will just bash that as well like it was not a beta app

There's no way the iCloud Photo Library in its current "beta" form should be available to the average idiot with an iPhone.

Literally, there is no way to justify it. Yes they should have released a decent beta for Mac to work alongside the iOS beta which should have a higher base quality; OR they should have made iPhoto support it. Instead Mac users are in the ether, unable to even import photos the normal way if they want their edits and metadata for the date attached.

It shouldn't be too much to ask for my library to upload rather than, ya know, not being backed up even in iCloud device backups. Perpetually uploading pictures that will never get there. And the number increasing every time I take one. Photos that would be totally lost if my phone was stolen and I restored an iCloud backup to a new device. Because the photos didn't upload to iCloud Photo Library. THIS IS DISGUSTING. On a public iOS seed millions and millions and millions of of iDevices use every day.

To think it's excusable by some people is actually pretty astonishing. :mad:

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX

I agree. It's not like people went to some beta site and downloaded it, It was distributed to everyone. It wasn't just open to beta testers.

I fixed mine, I shut it off and am staying with onedrive and dropbox until it's at least as good.

xmlninja

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
Just chill man, photos.app will be out early next year. you have lived without it up until now so it can't harm you that much....

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
My iPad has been trying to upload 2 pictures for over a week. I didn't activate iCloud photo library on my iPhone to make sure it was working first. Restarting, disabling/enabling ipl, switching wifi networks, etc, hasn't helped. Not sure what else I can try.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
There's no way the iCloud Photo Library in its current "beta" form should be available to the average idiot with an iPhone.

Literally, there is no way to justify it. Yes they should have released a decent beta for Mac to work alongside the iOS beta which should have a higher base quality; OR they should have made iPhoto support it. Instead Mac users are in the ether, unable to even import photos the normal way if they want their edits and metadata for the date attached.

It shouldn't be too much to ask for my library to upload rather than, ya know, not being backed up even in iCloud device backups. Perpetually uploading pictures that will never get there. And the number increasing every time I take one. Photos that would be totally lost if my phone was stolen and I restored an iCloud backup to a new device. Because the photos didn't upload to iCloud Photo Library. THIS IS DISGUSTING. On a public iOS seed millions and millions and millions of of iDevices use every day.

The average "idiot" doesn't explore the settings menu and even if they did the word "Beta" would scare them off.

You're getting all worked up over a feature that most users aren't even aware of.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
When mine gets stuck (often) I open the photos app and click on the photos icon on the bottom left. This will open moments. At the bottom is a statement that says how many photos and videos you have and how many and when for sync. If I keep this screen open, the upload will normally happen.

In some ways it stinks in others its nice that it waits until I manually open the app and this tab so that it does not use my mobile data for large videos or a bunch of photos.

Reactions: nas4146

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
And I don't care if it's a beta.

Well, that's too bad for you. That's what beta means. It's a work in progress. There are bugs. Not everything works. Stuff breaks. You're at fault for depending on beta software. There are tons of other backup systems you can use while iCloud Photo Library is in beta, yet YOU chose not to use any of them.. and it's Apple's fault? Okaaaay. :rolleyes:

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
My iPad has been trying to upload 2 pictures for over a week. I didn't activate iCloud photo library on my iPhone to make sure it was working first. Restarting, disabling/enabling ipl, switching wifi networks, etc, hasn't helped. Not sure what else I can try.

At least I figured out my issue. IPL requires documents and data syncing turned on in iCloud settings. My company has that disabled through our MDM so we can use Pages without sending confidential data to iCloud. That's the trouble with BYOD I guess. Unforunate that Apple hasn't provided more granular settings.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Mine is the same way. Stuck with absolutely no progress. I have signed out and back in and turned everything off and on. It is working correctly with the same Apple ID on my iPad. New pictures upload in a few seconds but the iPad does not have any pictures from the iPhone and the iPhone has none from the iPad.

Same here, reboots, sign outs do nothing. I'm still being told "uploading 342 photos".

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I realize this is an old thread, but are you leaving the photos app open?

I recently managed to upload all my photos to iCloud Photo Library, and it was a fairy smooth process taking just a few hours.

You just have to ensure that the photos app is open so the uploading process can continue, otherwise, it will just time out after a while.

Also, if you had turned it off, you may need to wait for all your photos to delete themselves (about a month) before trying again.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
I realize this is an old thread, but are you leaving the photos app open?

I recently managed to upload all my photos to iCloud Photo Library, and it was a fairy smooth process taking just a few hours.

You just have to ensure that the photos app is open so the uploading process can continue, otherwise, it will just time out after a while.

Also, if you had turned it off, you may need to wait for all your photos to delete themselves (about a month) before trying again.

Can someone please make a feedback report to Apple for a checkbox that makes it so the app does NOT have to be open. That is just so stupid and moronic of Apple to take away the one reason icloud works so great all over the world for all of us. The reason - sync in the background directly without having to have an app open all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.