Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Can someone please make a feedback report to Apple for a checkbox that makes it so the app does NOT have to be open. That is just so stupid and moronic of Apple to take away the one reason icloud works so great all over the world for all of us. The reason - sync in the background directly without having to have an app open all the time.

True, like some sort of background refresh for the photos app. I reach home, My iOS devices connect to my wifi, and start updating themselves in the background. I would quite like that. :)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think the primary problem here is that most people will go into the photos setting app to toggle iCloud Photo Library on, then stay in the settings (makes sense, that's where the uploading progress bar is, then wonder why the uploading stalls after s few photos, not realizing they need to be in the photos app).

If you have previously used Dropbox to upload your photos, you would understand why iOS works this way, but I agree how it can be confusing for people who aren't aware of this.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
I think the primary problem here is that most people will go into the photos setting app to toggle iCloud Photo Library on, then stay in the settings (makes sense, that's where the uploading progress bar is, then wonder why the uploading stalls after s few photos, not realizing they need to be in the photos app).

If you have previously used Dropbox to upload your photos, you would understand why iOS works this way, but I agree how it can be confusing for people who aren't aware of this.

Why not use the dropbox analogy fully then if that is what ICloud Photo Library is shooting for. I have dropbox as autostart on login on os x and it is there in the finder always. In the background and in the finder that is always open. No need to have to think of having a program or app open. It's an apple software, no reason to not have in in play by standard.

My preferred analogy would be the over the air sync that is already in play. And we have a perfect setting in iOS to restrict high data by app use over 3G and 4G if that is the fear when using mobile appliances with iOS.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Why not use the dropbox analogy fully then if that is what ICloud Photo Library is shooting for. I have dropbox as autostart on login on os x and it is there in the finder always. In the background and in the finder that is always open. No need to have to think of having a program or app open. It's an apple software, no reason to not have in in play by standard.

My preferred analogy would be the over the air sync that is already in play. And we have a perfect setting in iOS to restrict high data by app use over 3G and 4G if that is the fear when using mobile appliances with iOS.

I was referring to how the dropbox app on iOS works. You need to leave the dropbox app open and active if you want to continue uploading photos. Minimise the app or lock your phone and the uploading process halts.

This works on a desktop because applications continue running even when minimised. Not the case on iOS, where Apple is very conservative when it comes to battery life and system resources.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
I was referring to how the dropbox app on iOS works. You need to leave the dropbox app open and active if you want to continue uploading photos. Minimise the app or lock your phone and the uploading process halts.

This works on a desktop because applications continue running even when minimised. Not the case on iOS, where Apple is very conservative when it comes to battery life and system resources.

Ahh ok. Learning something new everyday. Facebook messenger checks for uppdates in the background though so i know there are different ways to have a heartbeat for the apps. But you are with me on the usefullness of an over the air sync? That is so good with icloud as it is now, it just works as Apple used to say.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Ahh ok. Learning something new everyday. Facebook messenger checks for uppdates in the background though so i know there are different ways to have a heartbeat for the apps. But you are with me on the usefullness of an over the air sync? That is so good with icloud as it is now, it just works as Apple used to say.

Technically, Facebook messenger isn't supposed to do that. It's considered by some as an abuse of the background API and has been found to have an adverse impact on battery life.

I am not sure what you mean by OTA sync? Care to elaborate?

Faraco

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
For over a week iCloud Photo Library on iOS 8.1 has not uploaded anything.

It says "Uploading 230 items". If I take a new picture, the number increases.

Yesterday I got a notification saying iCloud Photo Library has not updated in 7 days. :roll eyes:

No idea how to fix this, and it's really bugging me.

Any ideas appreciated. It's truly shoddy what Apple have done here. And I don't care if it's a beta.

I've spent the whole afternoon helping a friend of mine with the same problem with one detail: no photo or video show up on web iCloud Photo client.

Is there any known solution for this issue?

Shanaz Mohamamed

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
Hey Everyone, I have a question as well....

I recently switched from an Iphone 4s to a 6s and used my iCloud to get back my apps and photos etc, however when loaded and I check my photos, I'm seeing the albums saying I have 800 pictures, however when I click into the album, I'm seeing like only 20 of the pictures and where the rest of the pictures supposed to actually be It's gray :(! Help please, any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thats a picture of what I am seeing

Attachments

• IMG_5087.jpg
    IMG_5087.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 503

IAmCorendez

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2017
When mine gets stuck (often) I open the photos app and click on the photos icon on the bottom left. This will open moments. At the bottom is a statement that says how many photos and videos you have and how many and when for sync. If I keep this screen open, the upload will normally happen.

In some ways it stinks in others its nice that it waits until I manually open the app and this tab so that it does not use my mobile data for large videos or a bunch of photos.

Thanks you so much, even 2 years later, your method works perfectly!

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
its iOS 11 and its worked fine for me for a very long time now.
Works on my mini 4, never has worked in my SE. Does utterly nothing. As reported by others.

Having upgraded one device to iOS 11, not going there just for iCloud Photo Library. My 2 primary devices stay on iOS 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.