Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Ok Yesterday I turned on iCloud photo on all 3 of my devices - my iMac, iPhone X, and iPad Pro. Never used it before, but decided to try it out. It says I have like 4000+ photos which some I am sure I deleted long ago, but whatever. All 3 of my devices now have duplicates of everything. I went though the painfull task of deleting the duplicates on my imac and see they are still on the others!! WTF! Why is iCloud photos such a pain? I signed in to iCloud via the browser and started deleting the duplicates there thinking and hoping that's the "master location" and hopfully it'll eventually sync down to all my other devices. Will that work? All of my devices have different totals on the number of photos and my iMac fans are running full speed for some reason. Any ideas?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
iCloud Photos is weird. When I first started using it on all of my devices, it seemed to take a few days to upload everything from everywhere, and get everything in sync. I'd recommend just leaving it for a day or two and see what happens.

The part I find most annoying is when I go to look at some recent photos or videos, I almost always have to wait a minute for it to get retrieved from the cloud. When I'm at home, it's not very noticeable as I have a really fast connection, but when I'm out and using the cell network, it's bad. Like I couldn't even show someone a 30 second video today that I shot on Saturday because it had already uploaded to iCloud and the cell signal in my office is terrible.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I think it finally synced up correctly after a couple days. lol. But now for some strange reason, I can't upload photos from my iMac to eBay when creating an eBay listing. I can do it just fine from my iPhone via the eBay App, but for some reason when I try to upload from my photos database on my iMac I always get this error message...

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 1.48.33 PM.png

Now I have iCloud Photos turned on on my iMac and this never happened until I turned iCloud Photos on. I did figure out a quick work around by exporting the pictures I want to use in Photos to another folder on my HD and then it uploads to eBay just fine. It's kind of a pain to go through that extra step and I never had to before. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
eBay doesn't support HEIC images - I found this out the other day. Easiest thing I found was to highlight a whole bunch of images, open them in Preview, select all and do an export to JPEG. Annoying as hell, but anyway.

Failing that - use the eBay app on your phone which seems to support this format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.