Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avalon74

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Has anyone tested CandyBar (or any other icon changing apps) in Mavericks? Do they still work?

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
CandyBar runs and seems to work otherwise, but it disables changing system icons. It puts a large yellow caution banner across the top that reads "Unqualified system! CandyBar must be updated to change system icons."

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
CandyBar runs and seems to work otherwise, but it disables changing system icons. It puts a large yellow caution banner across the top that reads "Unqualified system! CandyBar must be updated to change system icons."

I've managed to update it myself to remove the banner and add backup files to be used for 10.9,
the trick is though is that the new IconServicesAgent process has to be killed and then the Dock to see the results.

Last edited:

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I've managed to update it myself to remove the banner and add backup files to be used for 10.9,
the trick is though is that the new IconServicesAgent process has to be killed and then the Dock to see the results.

Could you tell us how you did this? :)

I mean how you removed the banner and add backup files. Killing IconServicesAgent and the Dock I know how to do.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom

Thanks, is there a way for the candy bar app to remember the serial number. Every time i launch the app it asks me for a serial number. Slightly off topic, but is there a way to fix the spotlight icon so it shows up white instead of black in your black menubar mod over on deviant art. thanks in advance

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
Thanks, is there a way for the candy bar app to remember the serial number. Every time i launch the app it asks me for a serial number. Slightly off topic, but is there a way to fix the spotlight icon so it shows up white instead of black in your black menubar mod over on deviant art. thanks in advance

I put this at the end of the installation help but no one reads that so here it is again.

If Spotlight is still black upon logging back in, open System Preferences, General and switch your appearance from blue or graphite and back.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I put this at the end of the installation help but no one reads that so here it is again.

If Spotlight is still black upon logging back in, open System Preferences, General and switch your appearance from blue or graphite and back.

Yes I've done exactly that, but it doesn't seem to work. Is there a menu extra file I could exchange, like there is for the sound, wifi and bluetooth?

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
Yes I've done exactly that, but it doesn't seem to work. Is there a menu extra file I could exchange, like there is for the sound, wifi and bluetooth?

The WhiteUIServer.menu file works for spotlight, and the above method does work i just tested it on 13A603, by any chance you are on a retina display?

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
The WhiteUIServer.menu file works for spotlight, and the above method does work i just tested it on 13A603, by any chance you are on a retina display?

Edit. Thanks, I managed to fix the issue, but I couldn't get your method to work under mavericks GM2. I found the offending file in the core types search bundle and changed the file for a white version I had made for 10.8.5 Works ok with that. Ps is there any way to stop candy bar asking for a serial upon launch. I have a serial and the app accepts it, but every time i launch the app it asks me for the serial again as if it's forgotten it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
Edit. Thanks, I managed to fix the issue, but I couldn't get your method to work under mavericks GM2. I found the offending file in the core types search bundle and changed the file for a white version I had made for 10.8.5 Works ok with that. Ps is there any way to stop candy bar asking for a serial upon launch. I have a serial and the app accepts it, but every time i launch the app it asks me for the serial again as if it's forgotten it. Thanks.

Not that i know of cause i haven't encountered this issue.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Not that i know of cause i haven't encountered this issue.

I do apologise, never mind, the candy bar thing is not that big an issue and it's liveable. I'm not sure what was causing the spotlight menubar icon to stay black, even after following your instructions. The only thing that fixed it for me as to track sown the MDsearchIcon.pdf in the search bundle in core types and manually swap out the file for another I made back in 10.8

Dexter12345

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, same here! Can't open the app. Is this something to do with Mavericks?

I can't live without CandyBar:p

Got it to work, just need to change your system settings to allow for installing of all apps

----------

I can't seem to change my folder icons, somebody else experience this?

Or have a fix for it?

The folder icons are the most important ones I think:D

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Got it to work, just need to change your system settings to allow for installing of all apps

----------

I can't seem to change my folder icons, somebody else experience this?

Or have a fix for it?

The folder icons are the most important ones I think:D

Open your new folder image in Preview and Cmd-A to select and Cmd-C to copy. Right-click on the folder you want to change and choose Get Info. Then highlight the icon at the top left of that window and Cmd-V to paste your new folder image there.

Dexter12345

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
Open your new folder image in Preview and Cmd-A to select and Cmd-C to copy. Right-click on the folder you want to change and choose Get Info. Then highlight the icon at the top left of that window and Cmd-V to paste your new folder image there.

Yeah, I know how to do that but i can't do that for all my folders, I want it to work through candybar, so new folders get the new icon to^^

koesherbacon

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
I've got it run without encountering the unqualified system thing, however there's no option to apply changes once I've made them. Any advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.