Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagered

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2019
I have been dealing with this for years... update after update after update. And finally, it affected me.

A couple of years ago I was using my '09 MBP that I fully upgraded to max RAM and added a 128G SSD... basically it FLIES NOW! No lie... it's really faster than it ever was. Unfortunately I was playing Diablo on it... ran great, until they required a higher O/S than Yosemite?!? But Yosemite ran flawless on my machine and the times I tried upgrading it flopped... and I went back to the stable O/S.
I eventually created an El Capitan partition and it ran fine. I thought of upgrading to it for the main drive but then some of my programs would not work unless I upgraded?!?! WTF??? I mean seriously... this MBP has worked awesome for me over the years and still does! ... so why should I have to pay to upgrade some software titles to the latest and greatest if everything works?!?!

Because THEY WANT MORE MONEY! ... can't think of any other reason. They had the capability to backward engineer compatibility but why when they can charge the public more money for a newer and supposedly better version?!?

What a crock of poo-poo!

Anyone else tired of this? I had to finally upgrade my iPad to a newer version because the iO/S slowed the damn thing down so bad that it was almost worthless.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Having to upgrade a OS to support newer software versions is not new. You where not forced to upgrade your whole OS for one game, that is something you chose to do and caused your other programs to need to be upgraded.

Reactions: OLDCODGER

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Because THEY WANT MORE MONEY! ... can't think of any other reason.

Argument from ignorance.

You don’t understand how computers work, you don’t understand how operating systems work, you don’t understand how software design works, and instead of asking, you assume your inability to come up with an answer is relevant.

Here’s some real world for you.

How much does the upgrade to El Capitan cost.

NADDA.

So you’re wrong.

How much does the Diablo update cost?

NADDA

So you’re wrong.

Your “works perfectly fine” laptop has major security flaws (vulnerabilities) in the Intel chip (look up exploits for branch prediction as an example), at the hardware level, that can’t be fixed with arm waving and logical fallacies...

It DOESN’T work perfectly fine. And because of that operating systems have had to be rewritten, which effects the software that runs on the operating system.

Next time you want to throw a temper tantrum in public, get educated first?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Isn't' t Diablo PowerPC, not Intel ?

There's ya problem. Apple stopped supporting PowerPC in 2006. And Apple dropped Rosette support.

Diablo was 1996.

Windows has the same problem,, No software developer guarantee what will work for all possible and future machines... If that ever "was" possible, no one would make any money. I thnink the only option is to upgrade/buy new game...

Half of my games "Doom 3" is no longer available either i purchased in 2013, was gonna play on Mojave, so i'm ** about that as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.