Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm the co-developer of iFont, an app which we think is the best Font Book alternative for iOS. iFont lets you install your own fonts for use in apps such as Pages, Word and Affinity Photo, as well as including a whole host of comparison and messaging tools. We originally had a thread about iFont 1.0 here, but iFont 3 is such a big rewrite I thought it appropriate to start another to explain all the new things the app can do.

We began creating iFont at school when me and the my friend were both aged 15, and released it about 6 months later. We've learned so much over the past three years, from the intricacies of creating a LLP and filing tax forms, to useful things like using size classes and auto-layout...

What started as a way to get a simple handwriting font onto our phones has turned into something I would, without wanting to sound hubristic, call the best (and cheapest!) app for managing fonts on iOS. I'm proud of what we've achieved (there are three of us now, and we all juggle other part-time jobs as well as each doing a full-time undergraduate degree completely unrelated to computer science), and can't wait to share it with everyone.

The new features for iFont 3 include:
+ Complete redesign of the iPad UI, with support for split-screen multitasking
+ .zip import support (this was requested in 2014... we got there in the end), along with bug fixes for .otf files. This also allows you to see associated files included in the zip, for example a 'read me' or licence, right from within iFont.
+ Download and install fonts from Google Fonts within the app
+ Much better UI for 5.5" iPhones, especially in landscape
+ A new Waterfall view designed for comparing fonts at different point sizes
+ New UI and icons for iOS 11
+ Drag and drop support for installing fonts on iPad
+ Ability to send a copy of the font profile to a friend to install on their device
+ Redesigned detail pages for all fonts, with new written descriptions
+ A new Technical view, for seeing advanced information about each font
+ Fuzzy matching when using search
+ Keyboard shortcuts for iPad when connected to an external keyboard
+ Ability to customise the home screen icon
+ Toggle to show hidden fonts, for example the font Apple uses for the lock screen clock, or for the titles in videos in Photos' Memories
+ Bug fixes, including error handling for unsupported fonts and issues when exporting images from Notepad
+ Speed enhancements

...and that's just the new stuff. It still has .ttf support, a Notepad for sending messages in different fonts, a Compare view for seeing which font is most suitable for your use,

It will be available from next Wednesday, 20th December as a completely free upgrade. Download iFont 2.1.2 here in the mean time, then just update in a week's time: Download Here

7hLVfc0.png
qLMbuMX.png
ZpFWNbT.png
B3DjolC.png
sgZkDXh.png

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iFont 3.0 is out now. Download here: bit.ly/iFont3App

To celebrate, here are three promo codes to remove the adverts. Here you go:
J49HRYPRXN44
R67PWYWYHMTJ
6T79FLHEFX7N

Merry Christmas! Any questions, leave a comment below, PM me directly or contact us on email/Twitter/Facebook.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iFont has been updated again today, with support for password protected .zips, Wikipedia page links for many fonts, refreshed theme, ability to sort and search Google Fonts, as well as fixes for numerous bugs.

Any feedback, please drop us an email, message me or contact us on Facebook (/CodingCornerLLP) or Twitter (@CodingCornerLLP)!

greattrika

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2017
multiple selections under files for the deletion not possible.

why? I have 50 fonts file imported to Files. But 13 fonts dont need more. searching and deleting every single one of them takes forever and annoyingly.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

why? I have 50 fonts file imported to Files. But 13 fonts dont need more. searching and deleting every single one of them takes forever and annoyingly.

Thank you for your feedback! I've passed it on and we will look to implement this in the near future, hopefully in iFont 4.1.

Reactions: greattrika

greattrika

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2017
Thank you for your feedback! I've passed it on and we will look to implement this in the near future, hopefully in iFont 4.1.
When supports ttc font + ttc font in zip file or passoword protected zip?

Attachments

• simsun.zip
    299.2 KB · Views: 433

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
When supports ttc font + ttc font in zip file or passoword protected zip?
Hi, unfortunately the "easy" way to install fonts doesn't support .ttc. It's in the pipeline, and for 4.1 we may implement a way to view the font, but won't be able to install it.

I've spoken to my co-developer today, and 4.1 should also bring quicker loading times for users with large font libraries. Thanks for your support :)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

This feature is now being tested, we anticipate it should be released in the next couple of weeks.

k0U7NRt.png

Thanks for helping make iFont better for everyone!

Reactions: greattrika

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I hope the update will come soon
Sorry for the rather extensive delay - we found a lot of bugs when implementing .ttc viewing, and we are also all full-time undergraduate students so haven't had much spare time lately.

I don't like making excuses, but I thought I should be open as to why this has been delayed for so long!

iFont 4.1 is now in review with Apple and should be released imminently - includes .ttc viewing, bug fixes and bulk install and delete as requested by @greattrika .

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iFont 5 is now available for free! Averages 4.4/5 from over 1,000 ratings.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ifont-install-any-font/id1173222289?mt=8

The latest version includes a way to add sources such as Dafont to iFont, a new 'Zoom View', better installation options (e.g. install multiple fonts via email), some refreshed icons, a more prominent Wikipedia link for some fonts with an integrated browser, and more!

As always, your feedback is much appreciated. You can contact me here, @CodingCornerLLP on Twitter, or email us at hello(at)codingcorner(dot)co.uk

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iFont is more popular than it's ever been, and has recently been mentioned in the New York Times, Cult of Mac, How-To Geek, and more: THANK YOU!

We are currently looking for beta testers to participate in our TestFlight programme. If you are interested, please PM me or contact us at hello [at] codingcorner [dot] co [dot] uk.

bendikha

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2018
Is there a way to install fonts without having to install profiles for every single one?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Sorry for the delay, my MR notifications seem to be a bit buggy.

Is there a streamlined method via the app, of uninstalling fonts?

Unfortunately we can't delete system profiles, so you will have to delete the profile from Settings to completely uninstall the font.

Is there a way to install fonts without having to install profiles for every single one?

You can install multiple fonts with just one profile! Just select the ones you want to install, and a bulk install option will appear.

We are testing new grouping and sorting controls in iFont 5.1 beta - you can sign up with the link above.

Reactions: martyjmclean

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
To celebrate Apple finally coming to the fonts on iOS party, the remove adverts IAP in iFont is now just 0.99$ - get a taste of iOS 13 a little early!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iFont 5.4 is nearly ready and is being submitted to Apple as we speak - it includes Dark Mode compatibility and other changes to ensure it continues working on iOS 13.

2SM84UP.png

The new font management features in iOS 13 are great, and it's good to finally see Apple taking fonts more seriously. But you still can't install fonts from sources like Dafont or Google Fonts, as every font file has to be bundled in the app at the time of upload. Not great if you need to install one specific font that isn't bundled in an app.

So, we'll stick around to plug that gap for a little while longer! To celebrate the launch of iOS 13, I've posted some promo codes to remove adverts in the code sharing subforum. They also unlock, as Phil Schiller might say, a new 'really Pro' dark icon...

Feel free to contact me with any feedback/questions!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iFont 5.6 is out now, and includes integration with our sister app, Notepad by iFont, to make sending messages in different fonts and colours as easy as possible. Both apps are free!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.