Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
I'll be maxing out my imac RAM (see sig below) and was wondering if I could throw the 512 I'll be removing into the ibook. Does someone know if they are compatible, or how I could find out myself? I feel dumb for not knowing, but I am not even sure how many RAM slots the iBook has . . .

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
kwajaln said:
I'll be maxing out my imac RAM (see sig below) and was wondering if I could throw the 512 I'll be removing into the ibook. Does someone know if they are compatible, or how I could find out myself? I feel dumb for not knowing, but I am not even sure how many RAM slots the iBook has . .

iMac G5 20-inch ~ 2.0 GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 250 GB HD
iBook G4 12-inch ~ 1.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 30 GB HD
No, they are completely different. The iBook uses one 200 pin PC2700 SODIMM, the iMac uses two 184 pin PC3200 DIMMs.

Specifications are available online at support.apple.com

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
kwajaln said:
but I am not even sure how many RAM slots the iBook has . . .

It only has 1 slot, which is located under the keyboard for easier, user accessible access. The iBook 1.2Ghz will take most PC2700, which is extremely easy to find.

If you're in the US, I recommend datamem.com. They even have a search tool to find the correct RAM for your model iBook, and guarantee it's compatibility.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
I noticed your sig says your ibook has 512 ram, which means you will only be able to remove 256megs or ram since your model ibook has 256 soldered to the logicboard.
Just buy new ram for your imac, ram isint that expensive if you know where to look.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
No, the 14" 1.42 is the new revision with 512 on the motherboard.

His signature says he has a 12" 1.2Ghz iBook...what are you guys looking at? lol.

EDIT: Meaning Laser47 is right. You must have added a 256MB chip to it (or ordered it that way), correct? You can only remove the 256 that was added, the other 256 is soldered on to the motherboard out of reach.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
Laser and ITASOR were correct - I got the iBook with the extra 256 installed and that is what I was going to replace with the iMac's 512 to give me 768. The vast majority of my Apple work and time is spent on the iMac so for what I do use the iBook for the 512 is really sufficient. If I could have dropped in a 512 that I already had I would have but it isn't worth spending money on to me. I'd rather spend the cash on goodies for the iMac. (I really want DVD Studio Pro 4!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.