Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eurasian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Hi! i have a iMac 2008, with a headphones beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm.. Do you think I need a DAC?

Thanks!

Regards.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hi! i have a iMac 2008, with a headphones beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm.. Do you think I need a DAC?

Thanks!

Regards.
Do you think you need a DAC? Are you unhappy with the quality of your sound? Do you listen to lossless codec's and can hear the difference between say MP3 and FLAC or ALAC?

If you really want high quality sound, a DAC and headphone amp are a good investment, but if you're listening to low quality codec's then you might be wasting money on a DAC/amp.

Reactions: eurasian

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden

Thanks!

Regards.
The impedance shouldn’t be too much for the iMacs headphones port. So if you just need headphones for Apple Music / Spotify and YouTube you should be fine.
If you listen to more dynamic movies and uncompressed audio a headphone amp with DAC would make sense.
There is also a 32 ohm version of the 770 pro but it sounds a bit harsher compared to the 80 and 250 ohm version.

Reactions: eurasian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.