Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I have a chance to get a 20" iMac G5 for $15 at a local junk. It's a RevB, and when I tested it at the store it seemed to run fine. 20" is quite a big jump from the 17" model, and the screen quality is much better. But I am worried that it will fail early on me, I've heard a lot of bad stories about these G5 Macs. Anyone here have experience with these things going bad, and what to look out for?

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
Is that the iSight version?

Mine is still running today with zero issues. Upgraded the ram to 2.5GB and it runs MorphOS ( latest version works on this Mac ) and the latest MintPPC without any issues.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Is that the iSight version?

Mine is still running today with zero issues. Upgraded the ram to 2.5GB and it runs MorphOS ( latest version works on this Mac ) and the latest MintPPC without any issues.
RevB is the ambient light sensor, last one before iSight. Luckily it still has the back panel that pops off, so working on it would be easy for basic HDD and RAM swaps.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Sorry, misunderstanding. I refered to:

I just found your wording funny when refering to a 14 y.o. machine :)

Neither early nor first, though it was very early in the morning in Germany ;)
Ah I got you now. I'm actually from Bavaria and my English is not so good especially as of late lol.

I think I'm gonna take the plunge, especially since it's the one with the easy to remove back plate and stand. That should make any cap replacements or other fixes quick. I've always loved the white iMacs, IMO it was the best design they had.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Ah I got you now. I'm actually from Bavaria and my English is not so good especially as of late lol.
I think I'm gonna take the plunge, especially since it's the one with the easy to remove back plate and stand. That should make any cap replacements or other fixes quick. I've always loved the white iMacs, IMO it was the best design they had.
$15 really is a bargain. I bought three of them - they were meant as clients for RDP-connection to a Win2008Server, but after I've added terminal-client-licences to the server as a result all PPCs were kicked off by the certificate-handling of Win2008Server and forced me to switch to white intel-iMacs/Lion, which I do enjoy every day!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1042686

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
My aunt and uncle had an iMac G5 back in the day and used it until it stopped working from the caps exploding I think, but I picked one up at a garage sale a few years ago for like $25, with a keyboard and mouse. I figured if it stopped working eventually I'll at least have gotten a cheap keyboard, mouse, hard drive, and RAM out of it. :p I don't use it too often but it's been fine so far.

Reactions: z970 and 1042686

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Some thoughts;

• I have one - doesn't get used much - using it more / trying Linux is on my list
  • For $15 I'd probably pick it up, bearing in mind the below
  • PSU caps - if you can solder would be relatively straightforward. I did it - but that wasn't the whole story...Recapped PSU failed after a few months iirc
  • I guessed that the main board likely had a problem too (no visible bulging caps) and so went for an ATX PSU @ c400W it was overspec'd - failed after around 1- 1 1/2 years iirc. Replaced under warranty and went for higher spec iirc 550W - no more probs
  • My working assumption is that some problematic main board caps are putting the PSU under stress - so a beefy one is necessary to cope. Who knows if that's right...
  • Main board caps - suspect less straightforward unless you know what you're doing & have a decent soldering iron - don't think I'd attempt it
  • You can remove the Superdrive and install one of those IDE to SATA adapters to connect a 2.5" SATA HDD / SSD
  • 2G RAM max - good if 'yours' has it
  • Can format and use large >2TB HDD - although iirc it can't be the boot drive?
  • My combo WiFi /Bluetooth card has failed BT - saw them on Ebay for not much - not bought one yet
  • I have a pdf of the iMacG5 Developer note - attached. If inappropriate someone can let me know and I'll remove

Attachments

• iMacG5 Developer Note May 05.pdf
    730.8 KB · Views: 134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.