Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
The new 2019 iMacs eliminate most of the problems you have except slimmer bezels. There's zero space at the top of the new iMacs for them to get hot. My fans only spin up when I'm rendering 4k footage, and even though it doesn't get hot like the pre-2011 machines did. RAM is still easier than ever to install on the 27", and an SSD is only a $90 upgrade. We aren't going to see Face ID on any desktop computer for a long time. I wouldn't count on an upgrade in 2020. If you need a Mac, buy it now.

I also need a desktop workstation, but will keep using a laptop until they update the iMac line.

Reasons:
1. T2. It's the only mac without it. It future proofs the machine in my opinion in regards to handling peripheral devices and encryption.
2. SSDs in the stock configuration. Can be a 256GB, but I won't touch a computer with a spinning hard drive.

Everything else would be a bonus. Honestly I really don't care about slimmer bezels and I find the design to be rather timeless.

The only catch is, if they decide to go with RAM not being upgradeable anymore. I can easily see them doing something like that. :)

Reactions: bpeeps

Fried egg on toast

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
The new 2019 iMacs eliminate most of the problems you have except slimmer bezels. There's zero space at the top of the new iMacs for them to get hot. My fans only spin up when I'm rendering 4k footage, and even though it doesn't get hot like the pre-2011 machines did. RAM is still easier than ever to install on the 27", and an SSD is only a $90 upgrade. We aren't going to see Face ID on any desktop computer for a long time. I wouldn't count on an upgrade in 2020. If you need a Mac, buy it now.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I really don’t see why there wouldn’t be Face ID on the next iMacs. It’s so much easier and convenient to unlock your device and for inputting saved passwords etc when trawling the net.

I have just ordered a 16” Macbook Pro, but will certainly order the next iMac when it comes out. Hopefully it has the Face ID :)

edit: to add what the chap above said: replaceable/removable RAM is a must

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I would be very surprised if there was not an upgrade in 2020. Perhaps buying a used 2017 to tide one over before the redesign might make sense if there's truly a need. However sounds to me like @Fried egg on toast would ultimately end up disappointed if they were to now buy a brand new 2019.

I tend to agree. Although what constitutes and upgrade and what is a true redesign. I’m of the opinion that Apple is not interested in reinventing what an iMac is. In other words, you’re not going to see some pivoting or articulating display like the MS Surface. That while cool, is a very niche product with limited reach.

Back in the day, the G4 iMac was an example of what Apple could do if they had the desire to push the envelope. Of course, they also didn’t sell as many Macs. Today, it’s more about profit margins and simplifying manufacturing (glue). Something as complex as the G4 design today would never see the light.

Instead Apple’s next iMac will simply be iterative in design. Larger, brighter displays with faster CPU and GPUs, SSDs and smaller bezels. Nothing really innovative unless you count improving thermals or FaceID.

Reactions: MandiMac

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I would be very surprised if there was not an upgrade in 2020.

In terms of component upgrades (CPU, GPU, etc.) I agree. And I think we will see the T2 chip arrive.

But a redesign? I would be surprised if they did. They really seem to feel this is the optimum design aesthetic for an all-in-one.

I really don’t see why there wouldn’t be Face ID on the next iMacs. It’s so much easier and convenient to unlock your device and for inputting saved passwords etc when trawling the net.

I think the issue is the thinness of the bezel - the iMac and MacBook Pro / MacBook Air are much thinner at the top then an iPhone so I expect the FaceID hardware doesn't fit. It's also possible it's too expensive (so adding it would add a couple hundred to the retail price like the TouchBar did to the 2016 MacBook Pro), but I would like to think the production scale by now should be high enough to drive that down significantly compared to what it cost when it launched on the iPhone X.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have just ordered a 16” Macbook Pro, but will certainly order the next iMac when it comes out. Hopefully it has the Face ID :)

edit: to add what the chap above said: replaceable/removable RAM is a must

Face ID will come to the iMacs after it comes to the Macbooks. Until we see it on notebooks, we will not see it on desktops. This is been Apple's design MO from the beginning. iPhone gets new feature, then iPad, then notebooks, and sometimes that will extend to the desktops. The desktops don't even have Touch ID yet.

I would be very surprised if there was not an upgrade in 2020. Perhaps buying a used 2017 to tide one over before the redesign might make sense if there's truly a need. However sounds to me like @Fried egg on toast would ultimately end up disappointed if they were to now buy a brand new 2019.

Since 2015 the iMacs have been on a 2 year upgrade cycle. Don't count on a new one in 2020. If you need a computer, buy one now. There's always going to be a new model in the future, basic principal of technology. My 2019 iMac will not be inferior just because something newer comes along.

Last edited:

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Since 2015 the iMacs have been on a 2 year upgrade cycle. Don't count on a new one in 2020. If you need a computer, buy one now. There's always going to be a new model in the future, basic principal of technology. My 2019 iMac will not be inferior just because something newer comes along.

Well...naturally your 2019 will still work and be a very useful computer for years to come...but it will very likely be inferior (spec wise) to the new one.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Because it doesn’t work securely . FaceID functional distance requirements .

” ... Face ID works best when your iPhone or iPad is approximately an arm’s length or closer (10-20 inches ) from your face ...”
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208109

In others words optimized to be held . Don’t really want FaceID to unlock if pointed at you by someone else outside your personal space . That is not secure .

versus what you are suppose to do with a desktop monitor ( that is much bigger screen ) from Apple ergonomics article .

“ ... Move your screen a comfortable distance away from your eyes, between 20-30 inches (50-75 cm). Adjust the screen’s angle to be comfortable for you. ...”
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205655

The screen range starts where the FaceID ends . Technically Apple could use a denser and/ wider dot projection system or some other high fidelity, 3D mapping . Doubtful Apple would do two different tech modules for FaceID.

TouchID would probably be better match . ( need a secure channel between sensor and T-series security . )

PS “ but Windows Hello works “ .... not as securely . This isn’t some feature checkbox not going to help if toss securi to get there ( similar to touch sensors that toss fidelity to put under display . )

Reactions: askunk

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It appears Apple is holding all Mac Redesigns at this point until they overhaul the lineup to arm. my guess is we will see that at the same time, more incentive for people to switch to the arm based macs.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I think the issue is the thinness of the bezel - the iMac and MacBook Pro / MacBook Air are much thinner at the top then an iPhone so I expect the FaceID hardware doesn't fit. It's also possible it's too expensive (so adding it would add a couple hundred to the retail price like the TouchBar did to the 2016 MacBook Pro), but I would like to think the production scale by now should be high enough to drive that down significantly compared to what it cost when it launched on the iPhone X.

Wait....what? The iMac bezel is thinner than the iPhone bezel? If you meant the thickness of the display (depth) then that makes much more sense.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Well...naturally your 2019 will still work and be a very useful computer for years to come...but it will very likely be inferior (spec wise) to the new one.
As will every newer piece of tech. You will never have the best, something newer will always come out. This is a non-issue.

_Skyfire_

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
In terms of component upgrades (CPU, GPU, etc.) I agree. And I think we will see the T2 chip arrive.

But a redesign? I would be surprised if they did. They really seem to feel this is the optimum design aesthetic for an all-in-one.

I see a redesign as a perhaps a 32" & iMP thermal management with SSDs & with upgraded components. The current model already has a good design aesthetic

Yep except 2019 was only a CPU bump. Your comment is funny tho. It's like you are assured the next model will be just a spec bump as well. Most people would disagree

• Haha
Reactions: bpeeps

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

To be fair, even an "inferior" system can still be completely useful. I used to replace my iMac 5K every two years even though it worked fine for me because I could and since I did use BootCamp for a handful of games, the GPU upgrades were useful. And with one year of AppleCare left, the resale was pretty decent.

But I am holding on to my 2017 for the duration because I just bought an Alienware with a 1070Ti which will level any iMac family GPU (including the Vegas) in terms of Windows gaming specifically for less than the depreciation of my iMac over two years. And the 2017's Core-i7 and AMD 580 are more than enough for the macOS side.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I see a redesign as a perhaps a 32" & iMP thermal management with SSDs & with upgraded components. The current model already has a good design aesthetic

Yep except 2019 was only a CPU bump. Your comment is funny tho. It's like you are assured the next model will be just a spec bump as well. Most people would disagree
If you head over to the iPad forums, most people thought a new iPad Pro was coming in October. While completely ignoring the buyers guide that showcases iPad Pros get updated every 14 - 16 months and not every year. Most people doesn't mean anything.

_Skyfire_

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
If you head over to the iPad forums, most people thought a new iPad Pro was coming in October. While completely ignoring the buyers guide that showcases iPad Pros get updated every 14 - 16 months and not every year. Most people doesn't mean anything.
We are not talking about iPads here. Besides I trust my own judgment and the overall consensus much more than the words of someone who has dubbed themselves "The voice of reason".

• Haha
Reactions: Wolf1701

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
We are not talking about iPads here. Besides I trust my own judgment and the overall consensus much more than the words of someone who has dubbed themselves "The voice of reason".
Of course we aren’t talking about iPads. But if you can’t understand context and correlation, that’s on you. Deflecting with ad hominem really shows the worth of your argument in the end. Cheers captain!

_Skyfire_

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Of course we aren’t talking about iPads. But if you can’t understand context and correlation, that’s on you. Deflecting with ad hominem really shows the worth of your argument in the end. Cheers captain!
Do you actually understand what context and correlation mean or are you just bandying them about?
Not exactly ad hominem when that's your signature.. ;) You know when someone shouts from the hilltops how good of a person they are , usually it's the exact opposite...

Cheers buddy

Last edited:

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The iMac and iMac Pro both need an update, with the 16" MBP uncomfortably close in performance (not to the many-core versions of the iMac Pro).

Right now, the MBP is significantly ahead of all iMacs except the 9900K and the Pro in any benchmark you can name. It's very, very close to the 9900K and the base Pro (within 10%), and it is the cheapest of the three when you equalize configurations. The 9900K looks cheaper than the MBP, but once you get a comparable-size SSD in it and replace the ancient Polaris GPU, it's not.

Apple could either do a minor redesign or a major one... If relatively minor:

The 27" will stay similar in appearance and lose the spinning rust - SSD only and probably the super fast T2 driven variety. 512 GB standard, 1 TB in upgraded model, 4 and maybe 8 TB CTO.
The space saved will go into some version of the iMac Pro cooling system
New Comet Lake CPUs, topping out at a 10-core.
Hopefully 2 TB3 buses (4 ports)
10 GB Ethernet option (or standard)
Navi GPUs (fairly small Navi standard, some version of a 5700 available as an upgrade option).

The iMac Pro will get a CPU bump to the new Cascade Lake Xeon W series and a Navi GPU bump instead of Vega (same design). To differentiate it from the "standard" iMac, only 2 CPU options - either 12 or 14 core (probably not both) and 18 core. Priced about like the 8 core iMac Pro for the 12 or 14 core model, like the 10 core for 18 cores. Standard SSD 2 TB, Navi GPUs with the "little" option just a bit bigger than the upgraded GPU in the standard iMac, "big" option whatever can fit in the cooling envelope.

If they go big there are two options. One is a redesign while staying Intel, the other goes to AMD CPUs.

If they stay Intel, it'll be the same Comet Lake CPUs above in the 27", because they're the only choices.
The only real difference in specs from the above is that it'll be a new chassis, lose the bezels and at least part of the chin. Styled like the XDR display.

The iMac Pro goes to 32", 6K (detuned version of the XDR display).Styled like the XDR display. Same specs as above (12 or 14 and 18 core Cascade Lake Xeon W), except that the GPUs are bigger because the 6K display needs it and the extra room allows for plenty of cooling. Gains 8 RAM slots that the processor already supports, allowing for a reasonably economical 256 GB RAM configuration and a very expensive 512 GB configuration. Standard SSD goes to 2 TB, gains 8 TB and maybe even (very expensive) 16 TB options.

The really new possibility is AMD. This requires AMD-compatible Thunderbolt 3 (which exists, but is very new, with kinks still being worked out). If they go to AMD, they probably redesign everything, likely inspired by the XDR display. Any redesign gets rid of the spinning rust.

21.5" gets relatively low-power Ryzens up to 8 cores, with smallish (possibly integrated) Navi. SSDs start at 256 GB (with the higher CPU option starting at 512 GB of SSD). Options to 2 TB, RAM starts at 8 GB, options to 32 GB.

27" gets big Ryzens up to 16 core 3950X (probably something like 3700X, 3900X, 3950X), with medium Navi GPUs. RAM starts at 16 GB, options to 128 GB. SSD starts at 512 GB (upgraded model starts at 1 TB), with options to 4 or possibly 8 TB, (8 TB option is frightfully expensive, but 4 TB is somewhat reasonable).

iMac Pro becomes a 32" 6K machine, gets Threadrippers (24 and 32 core options - probably not 64 core - both because of the price and because it would be faster than any Mac Pro). This is a significantly thicker machine, because it's cooling a 280W Threadripper and a big GPU. RAM 32-256 MB (Threadripper doesn't support 512), SSDs 2-8 TB (maybe frightfully expensive 16 TB).

LA2051

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2007
2019-12-05-repairing-the-new-old-computer.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.