Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
When I send text messages I often send them to multiple recipients at the same time - jokes etc.

When I send regular SMS messages to multiple recipients it sends them fine.

When I send a single a text to multiple iMessage recipients, it sends it as a group message - but each of the recipients can see who I sent it to etc.

I don't want this. The idea of sending to multiple recipients at the same time for me is so that I don't have to repeat the same process individually for each iMessage recipient.

How do I prevent iMessage from using grouping? I still want to be able to send one text, to multiple iMessage recipients, but I don't of course want them to know who else I've sent it to.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Where is that on the iPhone 4S?

If I go into Settings, I only have Messages. I there, no options for turning off Group messages.

Am I looking in the wrong section?

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Settings > Messages > [scroll down to bottom of page] > turn off Group Messaging under "SMS/MMS"

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,840

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I've checked and double checked that screen.

No option for group messaging on or off.

Running latest firmware.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The bigger problem is that even if you have that setting and have it set to off you still end up sending group messages when sending an iMessage to multiple recipients. It seems like there might be a bug of some sort when it comes to being able to control group messaging and iMessage.

Some have mentioned that disabling MMS in addition to group messaging does the trick, but I'm not completely sure if that's the case.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
The bigger problem is that even if you have that setting and have it set to off you still end up sending group messages when sending an iMessage to multiple recipients. It seems like there might be a bug of some sort when it comes to being able to control group messaging and iMessage.

Some have mentioned that disabling MMS in addition to group messaging does the trick, but I'm not completely sure if that's the case.

iMessage is always sent as a "chat like" group text, there's no option to change this, it's how Apple designed the system.

The problem that is solved turning off MMS is that even without iMessage, if you send a group text it will be a "chat like" group text unless you turn off both MMS and Group Messaging (if available in your country). On iOS4 only Group Messaging had to be off.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iMessage is always sent as a "chat like" group text, there's no option to change this, it's how Apple designed the system.

The problem that is solved turning off MMS is that even without iMessage, if you send a group text it will be a "chat like" group text unless you turn off both MMS and Group Messaging (if available in your country). On iOS4 only Group Messaging had to be off.
So, iMessage aside sounds like the bug for regular messaging needs to be fixed where group messaging should only be controlled by the Group Messaging option (and unrelated to the MMS option).

As for iMessage, since it basically defaults to that when you message those with an iOS 5 device (unless you completely turn it off), it would be good to have that Group Messaging option there too so that it could be disabled if needed/desired (just like regular messaging).

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
AT&T has been forcing this as well, since the end of 2009 at least (when they first allowed MMS on the iPhone).

Group Messaging disabled, if you send a multiple SMS message, it gets sent as multiple, separate messages. (GOOD)

Group Messaging disabled, if you send a multiple MMS message, it gets sent as a single group message, where everyone can see everyone else you sent it to. (BAD)

Turning off MMS is the only way to prevent Group Messaging.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
AT&T has been forcing this as well, since the end of 2009 at least (when they first allowed MMS on the iPhone).

Group Messaging disabled, if you send a multiple SMS message, it gets sent as multiple, separate messages. (GOOD)

Group Messaging disabled, if you send a multiple MMS message, it gets sent as a single group message, where everyone can see everyone else you sent it to. (BAD)

Turning off MMS is the only way to prevent Group Messaging.
At least there's a solution there for regular messaging...too bad none of that seems to apply to iMessage which essentially has group messaging enabled by default and without the ability to change that (permanently or temporarily), short of disabling iMessage itself and using regular messaging.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
Apple needs to implement broadcast message functionality into the messages app - it could be as simple as holding down the "compose" button to get a popup that says "send as broadcast". Or alternative, when you enter multiple addresses in a new message, once you hit send a popup asks if you want to send the message as a chat or as a broadcast.

That, and the ability to leave a group chat are two major features missing from iMessage.

basketball13

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
i have an ipod white 4g and i dont like group message!!!! i want to turn it off can

:):mad::rolleyes::apple:
When I send text messages I often send them to multiple recipients at the same time - jokes etc.

When I send a single a text to multiple iMessage recipients, it sends it as a group message - but each of the recipients can see who I sent it to etc.

I don't want this. The idea of sending to multiple recipients at the same time for me is so that I don't have to repeat the same process individually for each iMessage recipient.

How do I prevent iMessage from using grouping? I still want to be able to send one text, to multiple iMessage recipients, but I don't of course want them to know who else I've sent it to.

wildcat629

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
Hi, I had the same problem, where the group messaging option was not there so all I did was turn on MMS messaging and it appeared! Good Luck :)

Bellocalifa

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2018

[doublepost=1517843643][/doublepost]Get WhatsApp. Setting the group messaging to Off in the iPhone does not work unless the people you’re texting too have iPhone set the same way. I have a brand new iPhone 7plus. I’ve used iPhones since the iPhone 4. The problem is the iPhone sends group messages to androids and other non Apple devices even if the phone has Group Messaging off. I’ve dealt with this problem for so long, that I use WhatsApp almost exclusively unless I have no choice. Not all my friends and family have iPhone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1517843643][/doublepost]Get WhatsApp. Setting the group messaging to Off in the iPhone does not work unless the people you’re texting too have iPhone set the same way. I have a brand new iPhone 7plus. I’ve used iPhones since the iPhone 4. The problem is the iPhone sends group messages to androids and other non Apple devices even if the phone has Group Messaging off. I’ve dealt with this problem for so long, that I use WhatsApp almost exclusively unless I have no choice. Not all my friends and family have iPhone.
They probably figured something out in the past 6 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.