Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pokernut

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
I've recently ran into an annoying problem with iMessage. At first I thought it was just a network problem, but now I'm not sure what it is now.

About 90% of my messages being sent through iMessage are getting a red (!) and saying 'Not Delivered'. But my messages are being delivered. I'm currently have a conversation with someone right now, the other person is receiving all my messages, but I'm still getting the red exclamation point beside every message. Yet sometimes I'll have a conversation with someone, I'll get the red exclamation point and they won't receive my message. So I'll have to click on it and 'Send as a Text Message'.

Is anyone else having this problem?? Any help would be appreciated, its driving me crazy. I use Rogers and live in Toronto.

Thanks!

Reactions: 00hawke00

VicTheBerg

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
I've had exactly the same problem these last few days. My father as well. It's harmless but freakin' annoying.

Anyone knows what can fix it? Is it and iOS 5.1 bug, and a reinstall is necessary, or is it some kind of iMessage bug?

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Getting this all the time with only 1 person.. annoying because it takes a while before it goes "ok lets try MMS"

beady

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I had the same problem.
I signed out of my apple id in message settings, turned off imessage, restarted phone and re-signed back in. Seemed to do the trick.

Yeah maybe server issues with all the new ipad users maybe?

VicTheBerg

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
I had the same problem.
I signed out of my apple id in message settings, turned off imessage, restarted phone and re-signed back in. Seemed to do the trick.

Yeah maybe server issues with all the new ipad users maybe?

That seemed to do the trick. I actually only had to turn iMessage off and then back to on without restarting.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
That fix didn't work for me.

What's happening:

- message goes out over iMessage (BLUE), showing as sent OK. I'm left thinking 'good iMessage worked'.
- then whilst watching the screen, 3 minutes later the message turns GREEN (meaning it's actually gone as a normal SMS!!).
- the person receiving it gets it shortly after the time it turns GREEN on my device (ie. 3 minutes after it showed wrongly as a correctly sent iMessage) as an SMS not iMessage!

WTF?!
Why is it showing as sent via iMessage, when it then (after THREE MINUTES!) goes over SMS (seen changing from blue to green in the process)??

...unreliable = useless, as far as most people are concerned.

Last edited:

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I was having this problem off and on. It started when I installed the messages beta for OS X. As soon as I deleted that, everything has been working fine.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm having the same issues since yesterday. Maybe worth mentioning I'm in the uk see if this is a specific carrier problem ? If not it does seem to be a Apple server issue.

I've tried all the other suggestions above but to no avail. I have a couple of friends using iMessage and they are having the same problems. I've tried sending from iPad, iPhone, Mac. With varying degrees of send failure.

Pokernut

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
I was having this problem off and on. It started when I installed the messages beta for OS X. As soon as I deleted that, everything has been working fine.

This is the only thing that worked for me. I uninstalled Messages beta for OS X on both my macs, and now all my iMessages seem to be going though.

bconeill

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2009
Having the same problem. I also am running the Messages Beta. It had been synching fine for a few weeks, sans some minor bugs here and there. My GF has the same set up and we both starting running into problems at the same time (yesterday). People sending me texts to me are getting the same error message but I'm still having the problem.

I'm going to try to uninstall the messages beta. Apple has a long way to go on that app. Very buggy (dropping conversations, synching with iphones, etc.). Hopefully they realize these bugs and do something about it before Moutain Lion is released.

VicTheBerg

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
I just deleted the Messages beta from my computer and all the problems with messages displaying as "Not Delivered" disappeared.

beady

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Wirelessly posted

The problem has come back for me after being ok for a few days. IMessage is becoming a bit of a joke. I don't own a mac so it's nothing to do with that.

Fuzzy.Dunlop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
London
Same problem here (UK user) - will send an iMessage the status bar will crawl to 75% then fail, or will send, then will re check the phone and its down as not being sent, seems to happen more over wifi :confused:

Also have iMessage installed on my Mac

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The only times this has happened to me is when either I have a sketchy Internet connection (like at work where sometimes the wifi stops communicating with the outside Internet but still works for the intranet) or if the recipient has a suboptimal Internet connection.

If you're having trouble, try turning off wifi and resending your message. It may be your connection's firewall or limited connectivity.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I was having the same problems a few days ago. I uninstalled the OSX beta and they stopped having problem.

aoifeee

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011
I've been receiving imessages like 10 hours late the last few days. It's very annoying, I've had no problems with imessage until now.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I've been noticing the "message not sent error" a lot since 5.0. But, I don't use iMessage. I don't remember this ever happening prior to 5.0 but now I'd say I see it happen about twice a day. I text a lot, but I did before too. So it seems like the only thing that's changed in my experience is 5.0. Of course it could be an AT&T problem I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.