Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Before iOS 13 you could see every photo sent to your contact in iMessage by opening the text clicking their name at the top and then clicking Info. Now that doesn't work. Am I missing something?

Reactions: !!! and OttawaGuy

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Should still work. Looks like this on mine.

Attachments

• 5BA5F964-1FFD-4445-B283-889D1A52B889.png
    5BA5F964-1FFD-4445-B283-889D1A52B889.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 954
Reactions: BigMcGuire

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Mine shows some photos for the message/person, but says "More photos will be shown once Messages finishes indexing."

It's been two days. Something is wrong with this new iOS when restoring to a new phone. Photos take FOREVER to download originals and now this.

My new iPhone feels incomplete.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
i have a different, but related problem that is still not fixed in 13.1.1...

one some of the photos there is a "time" labeled on it, as if they were a video. in many cases, they are not videos...which is a pain because i often like to go through and trim the videos out, but i am getting photos incorrectly labeled as videos which is not clear until i tape on the thumbnail and realize its a photo, not a video.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta

one some of the photos there is a "time" labeled on it, as if they were a video. in many cases, they are not videos...which is a pain because i often like to go through and trim the videos out, but i am getting photos incorrectly labeled as videos which is not clear until i tape on the thumbnail and realize its a photo, not a video.
I see this bug too...Glad someone else is having this issue, that tells me its a bug and not my photos being broken

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Bug has been there for a while. Again, much of 13 regarding messages, mail and restoring is buggy AF!

Starboy786

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
Same issue here upgraded to 13.1 then 13.1.1 no fix. No messages of indexing or anything. Apple care is no help. Ive backed up and restored the phone 4 times now with no fix.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Do a hard reset of phone. Vol+, Vol-, then press and hold til you see the Apple logo, Release power button

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I'm experiencing this issue and it's quite maddening. I'm unable to see all photos/attachments history in my iMessage conversations that were sent and received, only the ones ever since whatever most recent restore I've done, which so far has been two.

The first day iOS 13 came out, I updated and it seemed to be fine, after a day or so the pics and attachments in iMessages history were all there eventually after the phone sat overnight. Update then to 13.1, the stuff is gone, only showing stuff sent/received since 13.1. Then Apple releases 13.1.1 which says it will resolve the issue, but it doesn't. So I completely wipe the phone and restore from my iCloud backup. All goes well with the restore except for this same issue. I let it sit overnight, again nothing the next day.

At any rate, I was encountering an unrelated issue where I sort of messed something up so I decided to wipe and restore the phone again. When all is said and done, everything else is perfectly fine except for, again, the iMessage conversations not having any photos/attachment history.

The weirdest thing in all of this? My phone seems to know all the stuff is there, it just won't show it. What I mean is, the following morning after both restores, when it's done downloading iCloud photo library and iCloud messages, when I look at the iPhone Storage setting, it's suggesting to review the 15.9GB of attachments in messages in order to save space. And this suggestion matches the same iPhone storage suggestion on my iPad. It's almost like the phone has everything on it but some sort of indexing/database/interface issue is happening and it just won't show it.

I hope Apple resolves this soon.

Starboy786

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
I'm experiencing this issue and it's quite maddening. I'm unable to see all photos/attachments history in my iMessage conversations that were sent and received, only the ones ever since whatever most recent restore I've done, which so far has been two.

The first day iOS 13 came out, I updated and it seemed to be fine, after a day or so the pics and attachments in iMessages history were all there eventually after the phone sat overnight. Update then to 13.1, the stuff is gone, only showing stuff sent/received since 13.1. Then Apple releases 13.1.1 which says it will resolve the issue, but it doesn't. So I completely wipe the phone and restore from my iCloud backup. All goes well with the restore except for this same issue. I let it sit overnight, again nothing the next day.

At any rate, I was encountering an unrelated issue where I sort of messed something up so I decided to wipe and restore the phone again. When all is said and done, everything else is perfectly fine except for, again, the iMessage conversations not having any photos/attachment history.

The weirdest thing in all of this? My phone seems to know all the stuff is there, it just won't show it. What I mean is, the following morning after both restores, when it's done downloading iCloud photo library and iCloud messages, when I look at the iPhone Storage setting, it's suggesting to review the 15.9GB of attachments in messages in order to save space. And this suggestion matches the same iPhone storage suggestion on my iPad. It's almost like the phone has everything on it but some sort of indexing/database/interface issue is happening and it just won't show it.

I hope Apple resolves this soon.
Same issue man. Reporting it to apple is the best thing we can do at this point so they are aware that a lot of us are having this issue and push out a fix for it soon

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Same issue man. Reporting it to apple is the best thing we can do at this point so they are aware that a lot of us are having this issue and push out a fix for it soon
Indeed, I reported my issue twice now, both with when it happened with 13.1 and 13.1.1. They seemed quick to come out with 13.1.1 so hopefully 13.1.2 or whatever is right around the corner!

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Did this work for you? I mean it’s just a restart.

It did. Had the indexing error for a day. Had phone on charger w/WiFi and didn’t budge. Did the reboot and within minutes all my photos, links, attachments, etc showed.

(messages saved w/iCloud - XS Max)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
It did. Had the indexing error for a day. Had phone on charger w/WiFi and didn’t budge. Did the reboot and within minutes all my photos, links, attachments, etc showed.

(messages saved w/iCloud - XS Max)
I have no indexing message. I’ve restarted, plugged in, toggled messages in the cloud. Nothing. I can see photos in the messages themselves but not in the info section. When I toggle messages in the cloud it says downloading messages at the bottom of the message list for a while but eventually goes away and nothing changes. No new photos show up.

I had hundreds of photos going back 6+ years. They’re definitely still in the cloud because I see them on my Mac and on my iPad. Frustrating.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
And Ridiculous! All I can think is plug in cable and have on WiFi overnight and see. Other than that another FUBAR thing with ios13 lol

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
FWIW this forced a reindex for me

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
FWIW this forced a reindex for me

In trying to deal with this issue since 13.1, I have never received any sort of indexing error, though I went ahead and tried this suggestion and it did not work for me. :(

• Sad
Reactions: arn

Starboy786

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
In trying to deal with this issue since 13.1, I have never received any sort of indexing error, though I went ahead and tried this suggestion and it did not work for me. :(
Same here man no indexing or anything. Spoke to a guy on reddit with this same issue who spoke with an apple engineer and they said that they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. All your pictures are still there its just an issue with iCloud trying to get them back.

Randalpaul

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2019
I have no indexing message. I’ve restarted, plugged in, toggled messages in the cloud. Nothing. I can see photos in the messages themselves but not in the info section. When I toggle messages in the cloud it says downloading messages at the bottom of the message list for a while but eventually goes away and nothing changes. No new photos show up.

I had hundreds of photos going back 6+ years. They’re definitely still in the cloud because I see them on my Mac and on my iPad. Frustrating.
I have the same problem and have contacted tech support over 15 times they act like they are hearing this for the first time. Sr. Level, downloading analytics etc. Nothing. This is getting ridiculous. Also my 52000 photos have been downloading at the rate of 1 per min in my photos..... The message thing is more bothersome as I have them on my other devices etc and don't want to do my 6 reinstall.....

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I love how none of this ever makes news at any of the major tech blogs. So many people are suffering from it and most don’t even know. Yet Apple gets away with this ******** on the regular. Swept under the carpet as usual.
I was on the beta and I reported this multiple times throughout and it STILL made it to the master release and still hasn’t been resolved.

Reactions: Ipadfever
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.