Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Quick couple of questions, hopefully. Bit tricky/costly to test myself so hoping someone might already know.

1. On iPhone, if you try to send a picture message on iMessage and it fails, and you have 'Send As SMS' on, does it send as an MMS, or does this fall back option only apply to text-only SMS?

2. If it does send these picture messages as MMS, does disabling MMS Messaging prevent this? I know this setting prevents you sending an MMS from scratch but I'm just checking the iMessage>MMS fallback case is also prevented.

Reactions: graclarkey

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Quick couple of questions, hopefully. Bit tricky/costly to test myself so hoping someone might already know.

1. On iPhone, if you try to send a picture message on iMessage and it fails, and you have 'Send As SMS' on, does it send as an MMS, or does this fall back option only apply to text-only SMS?

2. If it does send these picture messages as MMS, does disabling MMS Messaging prevent this? I know this setting prevents you sending an MMS from scratch but I'm just checking the iMessage>MMS fallback case is also prevented.

1, yes it'll send as an mms
2, not sure but I would presume if the toggle is off it'll fail to send.

graclarkey

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
I know this is an old post, but does anyone know the answer to number 2 in the original question?

1. If “Send as SMS” is on and you send a multimedia iMessage, it definitely does ‘fallback’ to MMS. I keep “Send as SMS” off for this reason, as in the UK most carriers charge handsomely for sending MMS.

2. I suspect that the MMS setting only applies to new messages - can anyone confirm? If it applies to multimedia iMessages too, I might consider leaving “Send as SMS” on.

Apple’s official explanations of the intricacies of iMessage implementation are non-existent, and I can’t find the answer to this in any forums.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
I know this is an old post, but does anyone know the answer to number 2 in the original question?

1. If “Send as SMS” is on and you send a multimedia iMessage, it definitely does ‘fallback’ to MMS. I keep “Send as SMS” off for this reason, as in the UK most carriers charge handsomely for sending MMS.

2. I suspect that the MMS setting only applies to new messages - can anyone confirm? If it applies to multimedia iMessages too, I might consider leaving “Send as SMS” on.

Apple’s official explanations of the intricacies of iMessage implementation are non-existent, and I can’t find the answer to this in any forums.
Hi I’m the OP and in UK too.

I have Send as SMS fallback on and MMS off and I’ve never sent an MMS when an iMessage picture fails to send.

One thing to be warned of though: turning off MMS it may also disable receiving MMS. At least, the few times someone has sent me one I get a link to a website to view it because it failed to deliver. Could be for other reasons but could well be because I disabled it.
[doublepost=1507926344][/doublepost]Edit: just doing some testing and messages seems to ignore my MMS off setting when I send a picture which is worrying... this is as a new message not the fallback feature though

graclarkey

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
Hi I’m the OP and in UK too.

I have Send as SMS fallback on and MMS off and I’ve never sent an MMS when an iMessage picture fails to send.

One thing to be warned of though: turning off MMS it may also disable receiving MMS. At least, the few times someone has sent me one I get a link to a website to view it because it failed to deliver. Could be for other reasons but could well be because I disabled it.
[doublepost=1507926344][/doublepost]Edit: just doing some testing and messages seems to ignore my MMS off setting when I send a picture which is worrying... this is as a new message not the fallback feature though
[doublepost=1516740319][/doublepost]Thanks for testing GreyOS.

Decided to leave "Send as SMS" off.

I don't see much advantage in the fallback to SMS function, other than never really knowing whether the message has or ever will be delivered. All my iMessage buddies live in populated areas with reasonable mobile coverage, and I spend most of my time in London, so 99% of the time we have phone/SMS reception we probably have 3G/4G reception too.

If I'm really ever that disturbed by an iMessage sat there undelivered, I can always long (or force) press on the message, and manually select the "Send as a Text Message" option.

Reactions: GreyOS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.