Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I"m thoroughly contemplating installing a Mac mini in my van, just to see if I can. Maybe this fall I can do it. This front-end system seems to be a good step in the right direction.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
That looks like a cool interface for an in-car Mini install. If I ever had enough money to get a 2nd Mini and a touch screen, I would go for a car install. Can you create your own interface as well?? Seems like it to me but I didn't feel like reading the whole site.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
cool interface,

someone needs to work on a guide for installation, at least a general one and then we would see this explode

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I'll be interested to see how the MacJeep turns out! If I had a £2k-£5k sitting around I'd definately do it to my car!

What I'd really love is totally dashboard integration, dunno how a touchscreen panel would look like in my little corsa! What I have right now is the standard Vauxhall integrated stereo system, with buttons to control volume and change tracks on the steering wheel.

"Total Integration" would mean being able to use a touch screen, but also being able to use the buttons on my steering whee.... Although I would be just as happy removing the entire centre console and replacing it with a touch-screen! Some funky GPS would be great too :)

Hob

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
PlaceofDis said:
yes i was reffering to a hardware installation guide, a general purpose one to get people started on their own cars, thanx for the links too :)
I'd be really interested to see this! Hopefully the blog will suffice!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
hob said:
I'd be really interested to see this! Hopefully the blog will suffice!

same here, i know that i am clueless where to start with such a project, but am certianly interesting, a guide the explains what is needed, why, and where to look for said parts would be invaluable in helping people get started with projects like this

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
install guide:

even if it was just a map out of what is wired to what, and what components are needed.

a component list (shop at your own store)

and a basic wiring map

emdub

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2005
Sintra, Portugal
settledown said:
even if it was just a map out of what is wired to what, and what components are needed.

a component list (shop at your own store)

and a basic wiring map

Did you see this:
http://macjeep.blogspot.com/2005/01/chunky-spaghetti.html

It's an older post at the blog but it's still basically what I'm using. Feel free to ask me questions whcich I'll try to answer asap if I know or have the answers!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.