Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse has been called 'the best media player for iPhone and iPad' by Cult of Mac (http://www.cultofmac.com/256655/inf...or-iphone-and-ipad-gets-redesigned-for-ios-7/), and now it's available on Apple TV!

Play just about anything
Infuse supports a massive array of video types, and is the only player on Apple TV that allows movies to be heard the way they were meant to be, with full support for Dolby (AC3) and DTS audio...with surround sound passthrough of course.
wink.png

Infuse4-1.png

Get organized, automagically
Point Infuse at where your videos are stored and it will get to work cataloging your movies, TV shows, and other videos in seconds - adding all pertinent details and artwork along the way. Now deciding what to watch has never been easier.

Infuse4-2.png

High-performance player
Enjoy silky smooth video playback with efficient HW decoding, plus intuitive options for multiple audio tracks, video zoom, and awesome subtitle support powered by OpenSubtitles with a host of customization options.

Infuse4-3.png

Native trakt.tv sync
Not only is trakt a great way to keep tabs on your watched history, Pro users can also use trakt to keep playback progress in sync between multiple devices (both tvOS and iOS). Start watching a movie on your iPad, then finish it on your TV - Infuse will keep everything in sync, automatically.

Infuse4-4.png

Stream from just about anywhere
Wherever your media is stored, Infuse can stream it. That includes a Mac, PC, NAS, wireless drive, or a server app like Plex, Kodi, or Serviio. Any local devices will be detected in seconds making setup a snap.

Infuse4-5.png

Upgrade to Infuse 4 today...for free!
Yes, your heard that right! As an early Christmas present, we're making Infuse 4 for Apple TV a free upgrade for all current Infuse for iOS users (v3 or later). Infuse 4 for iOS will also follow as a free update later this year.

There are 2 ways to download Infuse.
  1. Search for Infuse in the App Store app on Apple TV.
  2. Download Infuse or Infuse Pro on a computer or iOS device, then locate Infuse under the Purchased tab in the App Store app on Apple TV.
Note: The same features are available whether you upgrade to Pro via In-App Purchase, or purchase the standalone Infuse Pro app.

Thanks!
We're so incredibly grateful for people like you who have supported us up to this point. It's a great privilege and honor to be able to touch so many people with the things we create, and without you none of this would be possible. We think you're going to love this new release so I hope you check out everything that's new in Infuse 4. Also, this 4.0 release is just the start, and we have a whole pile of exciting additions we're working to have available very soon.

As always, we love hearing from you - so please feel free to post a comment below or drop us a note with any thoughts or questions you may have.

Full blog post announcement
http://firecore.com/blog/13592

App Store link
http://apps.firecore.com/infuse

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
So glad to see it allows audio passthrough. That is the only issue I have with the Atv 4. Excited about checking this out ;)

TrackZ

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Does the audio pass through work with lossless codecs? If not now, will it ever?

How does infuse handle Bluray video in mkv that is VC1 or MPEG2 codec? Does to decode the actual video stream or transcode internally for display?

Thanks!

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Does the audio pass through work with lossless codecs? If not now, will it ever?
James from FireCore stated on their blog that HD audio is not currently supported. Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for me since I was looking to replace my HTPC with the ATV + Infuse.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
It's OK -- no thumbnails when scrubbing, and, their is no 10 second skip ahead/back function with the remote's touchpad.

While it remembers your place if you stop and later return to a video -- it doesn't mark anything as 'watched'. The exception would be if you go down the rabbit hole of setting up a Trakt.tv account, it'll mark shows in your list there as watched. Within the ATV Infuse app itself though, there's no visual indication of what's been watched.

Reactions: coordinated

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Interesting, same bug or issue as I found on MrMc aka Kodi:

- You play a video with DD or DTS via passthrough, so via HDMI, you receiver does the decoding.
- Stop movie
- Play MP4 or AVI (don't think the container format actually matters) with stereo compressed audio like MP3 or AAC
- Result: no sound and tvOS navigation sounds in the launcher are gone as well.
- You can bring sound back by going to sleep or toggle the audio format

Wondering if it's my setup or a tvOS bug. Get the feeling that if you switch between passthrough of audio and local decode, audio out is stuck in passthrough for any source.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Been waiting a while for this. Interested to see how it compares to Plex. I will likely use both, but hate having to have my MacBook Pro running to use Plex. Would rather stream directly from Airport Extreme. If anyone can provide comparisons with Plex (performance, ease of use, set up, picture and audio quality), please do.

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
Just bought the pro Version. Promising so far. Is there any disadvantage using plex upnp/dlna to stream?

Reactions: Donfor39

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I was a beta tester for Infuse. It works well with the standard file types (mp4, mkv, srt) but is far from being the ultimate solution to all your video playing needs. Here's where it currently struggles or is completely useless for:
- I have a ton of camcorder clips in mts format. Infuse freezes the moment I start to play them.
- it does not do deinterlacing of interlaced video (e.g. DVD rips in 60i)
- I noticed jerkiness when playing high bitrate videos
- it takes several seconds to start or resume play

I will not pay for Infuse in its current state. My TV's built-in media player, although it has an ugly UI, plays everything I throw at it and streams from my NAS over dlna so I will continue to use that.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
I was a beta tester for Infuse. It works well with the standard file types (mp4, mkv, srt) but is far from being the ultimate solution to all your video playing needs. Here's where it currently struggles or is completely useless for:
- I have a ton of camcorder clips in mts format. Infuse freezes the moment I start to play them.

I will not pay for Infuse in its current state. My TV's built-in media player, although it has an ugly UI, plays everything I throw at it and streams from my NAS over dlna so I will continue to use that.

I agree completely with all this. Not playing back high bitrate files smoothly makes it useless to me. Back to Plex

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I was a beta tester for Infuse. It works well with the standard file types (mp4, mkv, srt) but is far from being the ultimate solution to all your video playing needs. Here's where it currently struggles or is completely useless:
- I have a ton of camcorder clips in MTS format. Infuse freezes the moment I start to play them.
- it does not open TS videos at all

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I agree completely with all this. Not playing back high bitrate files smoothly makes it useless to me. Back to Plex

Of course, Plex transcodes those files into low bitrate low quality ones, whereas the TV media player supports them natively.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I typically only have mp4 and mkv files so I am assuming it should work well enough for me. I am not too picky, but just want it to stream smoothly. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks for the info.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
For the life of me i cannot get the iOS app to connect to my iMac. I get “An error occurred” when trying to connect. I have a 4TB external drive connected to it. What password exactly am I punching in ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.