Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
What's the deal with the Survival Hunter weapon being a staff? Are we quietly going back to where hunters can wield a melee weapon and a ranged one?

No clues right now. Everybody has the same limited information, least until Sunday. Same in regards to flying and professions as well as what will happen with current classes. All up in the air.

TBH the new xpac looks interesting. They definitely are giving their players everything under the sun. The biggest question will be what they'll cut before the game goes Live. Keeping in mind their new expanded staff has finally been fully trained, therefore one would assume nothing should be cut but we all know what happened with WoD. Until then, taking it all with a bowl of salt and proceeding with caution.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
No clues right now. Everybody has the same limited information, least until Sunday. Same in regards to flying and professions as well as what will happen with current classes. All up in the air.

Have I missed something about this Sunday?

Also as mentioned before it will most likely be when you hit max level for flying, I'm sure that's what they done in the past?

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
It's the Q&A Sunday.

Flying almost guaranteed after the fiasco they created with WoD. I mean, Dalaran is in the sky and will be the major hub like it was in WotLK.

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
This was wholly disabling flight in the WoD zones, even at level 100. After huge pressure, Blizz relented and said flight would be re-introduced for WoD zones after completing certain challenges (rep stuff etc). But it's not yet been implemented.

Either way, flying (or lack thereof) never really fazed me.

----
Starting to look forward to Legion. But I'm still approaching it all with some trepidation.

Confidence has been shaken for the first time in 10 1/2 years.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
I didn't play during Wrath, but wasn't flying disabled there too until your first toon hit level 77? http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Cold_Weather_Flying

Aye. TBC was max level, then the pre-patch to WotLK introduced the tome to allow players to start flying at 77 in Northrend. (obviously couldn't get it until game went Live due to being stuck at level 70.) Cata allowed it from the get-go. MoP was max level again. WoD, they kept claiming they would look into it nonstop until they announced they wouldn't introduce flying after all and for future expansions. Players revolted, they lost a slew of subs and went back on what they stated. It's still not introduced yet but whenever 6.2.1 goes Live players will be able to fly then.

Nobody minded not flying so much as a majority kept asking and kept being strung along. Still a hot debate on wow forums but players were heard (aka/ their wallets) and I can guarantee flying will be in Legions. The one caveat is in order to get it, players will need to complete a few achievements if they stick to their word wanting to keep the same model they're using in WoD now for future expansions. Basically it'll be many months before anybody can fly...unless...

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
Nobody minded not flying so much as a majority kept asking and kept being strung along. Still a hot debate on wow forums but players were heard (aka/ their wallets) and I can guarantee flying will be in Legions. The one caveat is in order to get it, players will need to complete a few achievements if they stick to their word wanting to keep the same model they're using in WoD now for future expansions. Basically it'll be many months before anybody can fly...unless...

It's the achievement part that worries me a little. I'm still trying to finish the WoD ones on my Main. It's almost like someone at Blizzard said "Okay, you can have flying, but first you need to do everything possible in Draenor at least once."

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Flying killed the longevity of the expansions as it made most external content irrelevant. Lack of flying killed some subscriptions. And now blizzard is recycling the same things for once more in the new expansion, instead of fixing game's real problems. This is a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" case now.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Well made zones and well placed portals greatly reduce both the need and in my opinion the allure of flying. Ideally, I should never have to travel so far point to point that a flying mount at flight speed is necessary to make the trip more bearable. Maybe I am in a minority but I like ground mounts just fine and don't care much about flight myself with the above considerations kept in mind.

I doubt flying with be in before max level and they probably will have some grind for it. I doubt it will be in when the expansion launches unless the zones were designed such that flight is needed to get around in them questing in reasonable amounts of time and my guess is that isn't true.

I am of the opinion that putting flying into the game at all was a mistake. I think the developers at Blizzard feel the same way. It trivializes exploration of the zones and makes new areas seem smaller.

There is no reason portals cannot be unlocked in Dalaran with zone progression as one way of gaining easy access to the initial quest hubs. Flight is not required to get around. Considering they are placing the class halls all over the world, I am sure there are going to be portals to those places and back. Between that and setting a hearth where you want, I don't see travel times being an issue without flight, again assuming the overall design takes this into account which I'd bet that it does.

By the time we see flight in the current expansion, it will be irrelevant largely. I do not believe issues over flight had any impact on subscriptions at all. The issues underlying that were far bigger and more pervasive thoughout the WoD expansion.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I will not be buying into the new expansion, to be honest it will be another same old same old and I have really had it with their expansions :(

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
I doubt flying with be in before max level and they probably will have some grind for it. I doubt it will be in when the expansion launches unless the zones were designed such that flight is needed to get around in them questing in reasonable amounts of time and my guess is that isn't true.

Meanwhile, Aendriel of Ravenholdt, my Engineer Monk will continue to make and sell Mechano-Hogs (he heard about Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance and took the title too seriously) because they are still one of the best damn ground mounts in the game.

Seriously, though, I'm fine with no flying in the Broken Isles (at least not initially), though I prefer the MoP approach (max level then buy flying) to the WoD model (earn it as a reward for doing *everything* in the expansion). The latter feels too grind, especially the Tanaan reps and is hard on those of us who spent too much endgame sitting in our garrisons. I'm pretty much reconciled to the fact that I will never fly in Draenor.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Meanwhile, Aendriel of Ravenholdt, my Engineer Monk will continue to make and sell Mechano-Hogs (he heard about Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance and took the title too seriously) because they are still one of the best damn ground mounts in the game.

Seriously, though, I'm fine with no flying in the Broken Isles (at least not initially), though I prefer the MoP approach (max level then buy flying) to the WoD model (earn it as a reward for doing *everything* in the expansion). The latter feels too grind, especially the Tanaan reps and is hard on those of us who spent too much endgame sitting in our garrisons. I'm pretty much reconciled to the fact that I will never fly in Draenor.

Yeah. I am unlikely to do something like a rep grind to fly unless there is some really good reason to want to fly badly enough to do that. Even then I don't know if I'd bother. I've never been big on rep grinds. To give you an idea, the last time I bothered to work on rep for anything seriously was Argent Tournament because I wanted to get heirlooms that way along with certain mounts and toys. Oh, and I did do it for the fishing pole from the Walrus guys in Northrend. I didn't really mind doing that in conjunction with the Argent Tournament dailies. For a long time though, all I did was log in two characters, run those dailies and then log off. After a little over an hour of that I had no further interest in playing for the day. I wonder why? I think I had become comfortably numb.

On a bright note, now when I feel like it I have full heirlooms for all the too many alts. I got four full sets and weapons covering everybody. Just before WoD I got the Axe I think it was from the Garrosh raid too that my Pally, DK and Arms Warrior can all use leveling in WoD so that's cool. I'm glad now my characters are all winked out and will level faster. I'm pretty sure I did Garrosh twice and got a nice staff my Monk can use too when he is old enough.

Last edited:

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
For a long time though, all I did was log in two characters, run those dailies and then log off. After a little over an hour of that I had no further interest in playing for the day. I wonder why? I think I had become comfortably numb.

I was that way at the end of MoP with the farm (mostly feeding mats to one alt) and now with the Garrison doing mostly the gold missions.

(On a side note, according to the main page, this will be my 250th post.)

Reactions: Dirtyharry50

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Flying killed the longevity of the expansions as it made most external content irrelevant. Lack of flying killed some subscriptions. And now blizzard is recycling the same things for once more in the new expansion, instead of fixing game's real problems. This is a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" case now.

Blizzard is just being lazy. They just need to design with flying in mind and get content out quicker. Flying will not be an issue.

I do not believe issues over flight had any impact on subscriptions at all. The issues underlying that were far bigger and more pervasive thoughout the WoD expansion.

You don't read mmo then :D. People gave multiple reasons for people quitting but, lack of flying was near the top of the list.

I will not be buying the expansion unless I know up front there will be flying at 110. This is from someone who has been playing since 6 months after the original came out.

Last edited:

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
[QUOTE="Plutonius, post: 21685577, member: 15143"I will not be buying the expansion unless I know up front there will be flying at 110. This is from someone who has been playing since 6 months after the original came out.[/QUOTE]

Quoting from the BlizzardInsider coverage of this morning's developer Q&A:

10:21 a.m. Can we fly in Legion or are we grounded? Hazzikostas says “eventually.” The Warlords solution will be the template going forward. After you’ve explored the Legioncontent, you’ll be able to unlock it. The first steps of the achievement will be available in patch 7.0 so you have some idea of what you need to do and progress toward it from the beginning.​

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Yeah, they already stated when they first announced finally enabling flying in WoD how the model is the one they'd like using going forward for other expansions. My only beef is the fact currently it's kind of an annoying grind. Reps to Revered (not a big issue) but the 'daily' apexis quests are a pain at times. But who knows. I was also under the impressions your followers will be doing the exploring this time around, least what little tidbit I'd read last week.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Blizzard is just being lazy. They just need to design with flying in mind and get content out quicker. Flying will not be an issue.

You don't read mmo then :D. People gave multiple reasons for people quitting but, lack of flying was near the top of the list.

I will not be buying the expansion unless I know up front there will be flying at 110. This is from someone who has been playing since 6 months after the original came out.

I don't need to read anything to know that those screaming on various forums about WoW are usually a vocal minority. A lot of people I know in the game had various reactions but I never heard anyone say they were quitting over it and I never saw anyone do that in my own guild. I understand some people don't like it and some people would even leave over it but WoD had a lot of problems bigger than flight by far and in my opinion those are the real reason along with normal decline over time for the loss of subs to WoW.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
[QUOTE="Plutonius, post: 21685577, member: 15143"I will not be buying the expansion unless I know up front there will be flying at 110. This is from someone who has been playing since 6 months after the original came out.

Quoting from the BlizzardInsider coverage of this morning's developer Q&A:

10:21 a.m. Can we fly in Legion or are we grounded? Hazzikostas says “eventually.” The Warlords solution will be the template going forward. After you’ve explored the Legioncontent, you’ll be able to unlock it. The first steps of the achievement will be available in patch 7.0 so you have some idea of what you need to do and progress toward it from the beginning.​
[/QUOTE]

Well, there ya go. Those wanting it can grind for it. I think I'll probably take a pass just like this time around. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.