Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WoW Classic Day One: :D

World Of Warcraft Classic's Rocky Launch Is Kind Of Nostalgic, Sure
Overcrowded starting areas, login queues in the tens of thousands, rampant lag, server disconnects—oh yeah, I am feeling that old school MMO vibe in World of Warcraft Classic.

16D781B9-1EC4-479E-B53C-F65712130819.jpeg

World of Warcraft Classic players are standing in long lines to finish quests

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah, my old WoW buddies signed back up for Classic and were all enthusiastic.

They sent me this screenshot last night:

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-26 at 7.00.46 PM.jpeg

Yeah... I'm not going to pay $77/6 mo for this. lol. I REALLY wanted to.

Did you see the youtube video they posted? Pretty cool - they have the Leeroy guy in there along with Hodor (GOT) too.

Reactions: Huntn

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Having joined in BC back in the day --- kinda sad to know there is no way I can play a hpally as Horde (played one for 7+ years). :(. I'll sign up for Classic someday soon.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

View attachment 854959

Did you see the youtube video they posted? Pretty cool - they have the Leeroy guy in there along with Hodor (GOT) too.

Now that video is cool! :D
I think if you give it a week, the starter areas will calm down. I’m traveling, get back on Thursday and I’ll see what it looks like then.

Last week to get up to speed, I played some WoW Starter Edition (free to L20) and it was so nerfed and abbreviated ( missing quests) I was very disappointed. I remember in the beginning (Beta) the starter areas were no walk in the park solo. Some of the mini-bosses if you can call them that required at least a couple of players in a party,

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Now that video is cool! :D
I think if you give it a week, the starter areas will calm down. I’m traveling, get back on Thursday and I’ll see what it looks like then.

Last week to get up to speed, I played some WoW Starter Edition (free to L20) and it was so nerfed and abbreviated ( missing quests) I was very disappointed. I remember in the beginning (Beta) the starter areas were no walk in the park solo. Some of the mini-bosses if you can call them that required at least a couple of players in a party,

Thanks - I'll look forward to hearing your report.

Agreed - that video was cool. :)

Having been a BC player, I got The Explorer achievement before we had flying mounts. lol. Kids these days have it too easy. :p
[doublepost=1566937447][/doublepost]They'll never experience the joy going to Target to get a World of Warcraft BC box and try to redeem the code on the box only to have it .... already have been used. lol.

Reactions: Huntn

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I've been playing classic for the last couple of days. It's just as painful as I remember! People have been more than willing to group up to make life a lot easier. It's been great fun!

The first night I logged in, I had a queue of 7000 and waited about 2.5 hours. Last night, the queue was around 4500, and I waited about an hour. At this rate, by the weekend there'll be no wait to get in.

And yes, the video is great!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks - I'll look forward to hearing your report.

Agreed - that video was cool. :)

Having been a BC player, I got The Explorer achievement before we had flying mounts. lol. Kids these days have it too easy. :p
[doublepost=1566937447][/doublepost]They'll never experience the joy going to Target to get a World of Warcraft BC box and try to redeem the code on the box only to have it .... already have been used. lol.

Got back from my trip on Thursday, logged in about 7pm Central (-6GMT) to Mankrik Server and there was about 500 in queue with a 5 minute wait. Very doable. Once I got in, no lag, smooth as silk and people were friendly, waxing about the nostalgia of it.

In beta, a Night Elf was my first character, and the atmosphere is perfect, the setting is the perfect realization of a fantasy setting MMORPG. However I also remember Elwynn Forest outside Stormwind City as perfect too, along with many other perfect zones! :)

I played for 5 hours, got to Level 10, finished up with the Gnarlpine Corruption Quest, where you go into a den and collect 4 items then wake up a Druid from sleep by fighting Rageclaw and using Vodoo charm on his inert body. Fortunately for that one, I ended up partied with 2 others. It would be tough solo just because there are so many mobs to wade through, however it was busy enough.

A couple of years ago I tried the WoW Starter Edition for fun, and Teldressel was empty. No matter, in that hand holding version, you could solo everything, but it was lonely. Here at least there are players to keep you company. Tonight, I’ll log in and get an invite from my guild.

Ok, so it is nostalgic and fun so far.
  • How seriously will I take this? Not very.
  • How hard will I work? Not very hard.
  • How long will I last? I have a 3 month subscription. Unless something significant happens, I think I’ll quit before then.
  • Will I raid? No way in hell! ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
From Retail, when I played it, I remember a map addon that allowed you to mark the world map. I used it extensively for marking ore nodes. Is there anything like this for Classic?
Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve got 3 characters around level 10 am still enjoying this, wondering how long I’ll last. :) Mulling if I should bother with professions or not, while understanding that professions can supplement the income needed to buy a mount at level 40. Skinning is a no brainer because there are animals all over, and you’ll frequently see the landscape strewn with carcasses.

Already saw some drama in the guild regarding dedicated characters, and say that if you want to play a dedicated character with someone else, as in only play that character when you are playing with a particular friend, do this with a secondary character. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
...wondering how long I’ll last, famous last words. I think I’m done. :oops:

I am reminded that this is a leveling game or get left behind. I’m in a guild and there is a group of players I normally play who hit the ground running on day one. I was traveling for the first 3 days, and I am so far behind, I’m basically on my own. Sure they or guild members will come help if I need help and if anyone is close by, but I’m finding this to be a grind. Yes, a fond trip down memory lane, but still a grind. I know exactly where I’m going, have seen it all before, and know if I had stuck with it, I’d be done at L60.

Because of the levels and questing structure, this is much more unforgiving from a coop standpoint than games like ARK: Survival Evolved and Conan Exiles, because there, there is no significant questing structure so you can come into a joint game weeks after your friends are playing, and be right in the middle of it.

Also I’m concurrently playing a replay of Fallout 4, a most excellent solo game, and am finding it to be about 10x as compelling and satisfying as Classic Wow. I can almost believe I am part of an effort to retame the Commonwealth ;) (the location in Fallout 4, if you are not familiar).

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co

View attachment 854959

I wouldn't want to pay $776/month either. No game is *that* good!

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
...wondering how long I’ll last, famous last words. I think I’m done. :oops:

I am reminded that this is a leveling game or get left behind. I’m in a guild and there is a group of players I normally play who hit the ground running on day one. I was traveling for the first 3 days, and I am so far behind, I’m basically on my own. Sure they or guild members will come help if I need help and if anyone is close by, but I’m finding this to be a grind. Yes, a fond trip down memory lane, but still a grind. I know exactly where I’m going, have seen it all before, and know if I had stuck with it, I’d be done at L60.

Because of the levels and questing structure, this is much more unforgiving from a coop standpoint than games like ARK: Survival Evolved and Conan Exiles, because there, there is no significant questing structure so you can come into a joint game weeks after your friends are playing, and be right in the middle of it.

Also I’m concurrently playing a replay of Fallout 4, a most excellent solo game, and am finding it to be about 10x as compelling and satisfying as Classic Wow. I can almost believe I am part of an effort to retame the Commonwealth ;) (the location in Fallout 4, if you are not familiar).
Can you play through solo or join random groups that are the same level as you?

I'd play but my gaming sessions are pretty sporadic. I'll play a few days, then take a long break for a few weeks, and then play some more. Pretty random.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Can you play through solo or join random groups that are the same level as you?

I'd play but my gaming sessions are pretty sporadic. I'll play a few days, then take a long break for a few weeks, and then play some more. Pretty random.
Yes, I can, but friends you have regularly played with are much more fun than strangers when you are typing vs talking, and for myself people you know help mitigate the grind greatly, which for the 7th or 10th time though the starter and low level zones with alts, has become a noticeable grind solo for me. I think what pushed me out the door was listening to a group of friends having a great time in Scarlet Monestary on Discord. They are all about 20 levels higher than me.

The interesting thing is that you can argue that there is no difference between the quests in WoW vs Fallout 4, but in direct comparison, F4 is more dynamic, with a deeper story, and better A.I. interactions that strike me as more meaningful dialog. The routine in WoW of kill/collect, turn in, just got repetitive for me really fast this time and having friends involved might have mitigated that. Just an opinion.;)

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
anyone else have an odd issue where the game seems pause/not update unless you use movement keys/etc during combat/trade skill usage? I can press A/D back and forth and them combat flows naturally but if I just let it go on its own it just sits there. Retail does not have this issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.