Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SparklyApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Does anyone use iOS solely for development? If you do, how do you debug CSS and HTML?

I know you can debug remotely by enabling settings and connecting the iOS device to a Mac with a cable, but what do you do if you can’t do that and need to debug on the device itself?

I’ve found some apps but they appear to have been abandoned or (in the case of Firebug Lite) built into a desktop-only app instead.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Apps like Textastic have a rudimentary devtools but I can't imagine doing any serious web dev on an iPad. Ignoring the lack of full devtools and inability to run a VM locally so you'd be having to use a remote server of some kind (unless we're talking about super-basic HTML/CSS only) the screen size would be enough to make me run screaming for the hills.

SparklyApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
I’ve got Textastic, thank you for the suggestion.

Sadly I can’t use a regular computer due to eyesight problems. New eyesight problems at that, so I am still massively irritated by the screen size and lack of stuff I’m used to. (I’d kill for BBEdit!) I’ve experimented with Apple’s accessibility settings but I find them even worse than using an iPad due to the magnification I need. The iPad at least lets me hold it close and type on screen where I can see what I type.

iPaintCode

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Metro Detroit
It is a long shot, but you could try cloud-based services like https://codesandbox.io/. It feels like the editor is based off or using some form of VSCode and you can link to a GitHub repo to commit and also deploy on ZEIT. I would give that a try and see if it may work for you.

Reactions: smithnovel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.