Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I have been using Capto Screen Capture utility for several years now to record tutorial video segments on the web.

I never had a problem with it on my 2012 Mac Pro all the way up through Sierra, but last week I upgraded to High Sierra and all my other software seems to be working but Capto? Capto launches and will record "video" fine, but no "computer audio". When I select that audio option in Capto it gives me a message that I have to install their Device Driver with instructions to go to System Preferences>Security&Privacy>General and click on "Allow" in "Allow apps downloaded from:" section, but it does not even show up?

I am able to still record audio and video in Capto on my 2015 MacBook Pro even in Catalina, so I would think it is not a Capto problem and I was always able to use it in High Sierra on my MacBook last year.

Is anyone having a similar problem?

Does anyone know where the Capto Device Driver is installed in High Sierra - maybe I can just manually copy it from my old Sierra folder to the new location?

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I finally found a solution as a Hail-Mary after at least 20 failed attempts!

All I had to do was restart my Mac in Safe Mode. Then I opened - System Preferences>Security&Privacy>General and clicked on "Allow", but in Safe Mode a new dialog appeared that said something to the effect of "The following apps/resources have been blocked" and there was a scrolling list of several application developers with empty checkboxes next to each one of the listings (including Wacom, Duet, and Global Delight (the Capto Developer). It was a bit confusing since it did not clearly indicate what checking a box would do as the dialog just had a DONE button? Anyway I checked the box next to Global Delight, closed the System Preferences and launched the Capto Device installer while still in Safe Mode and SUCCESS!

Restarted the Mac and am now able to record computer audio in Capto now.

Not sure why the High Sierra install trashed the device driver, but it is interesting that I had about 12 resources listed that were blocked? I never would have been able to access them without Safe Mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.