Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
hey im back and i got a new problem i got yosemite installed on my macbook late 2006 some time like idk in march and now something has come up it says their is an update in the mac app store and i was to update it but i can't because if i do then my mac will become unbootable. yes i know i can use the recovery partition to fix it but that is another problem their was an update that installed even though i have updates for it disabled or at least i think i do. is their a way that i can fix it so that i can make a os x hackers macpostfactor recovery usb or can i use the installer and restore the hacked bootloader or what ever it is called for mac that way? Please help me i want to update but i can't without having a unbootable machine on my hands
try to search on youtube, check this guy video,, he probably will help you,
[doublepost=1463995502][/doublepost]This is the video he speaks about Updates,, check it out,,good luck,,

Dudefoxlive

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2014
NO
try to search on youtube, check this guy video,, he probably will help you,
[doublepost=1463995502][/doublepost]This is the video he speaks about Updates,, check it out,,good luck,,
thanks but this is not that helpful to me. I will admit it is a good tutorial but it did not work for me and he did not use os x hackers macpostfactor to make the installer. as of right now I might be fine but I will need to defenetally update os x but until that day comes I will be fine using what I have now

Reactions: Wolwerine

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
thanks but this is not that helpful to me. I will admit it is a good tutorial but it did not work for me and he did not use os x hackers macpostfactor to make the installer. as of right now I might be fine but I will need to defenetally update os x but until that day comes I will be fine using what I have now
Please read my post on page 8. Do it the easy way. Ive read this thread many time getting nowhere but found the easiest way to get Yosemite on unsupported mac. Give it a try.

guialvim

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2016
Brazil
Anyone could help me here? I have a Macbook white 3,1 Santa Rosa 4GB ram 120gb SSD. Did all the sfott thing, booted via usb and when trying to install Yosemite, I get this message. Thanks.

P_20160807_095046.jpg

All the steps https://1drv.ms/f/s!Al4uSCTFES2DgbZjxQHNit7F5dcznA

Last edited:

Dudefoxlive

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2014
NO

guialvim

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2016
Brazil
i would be glad to help you. First thing i would like to know is where did you get your copy of yosemite from? Also what version is the image? like 10.10.X (X being any number)
I got it from macdrug.com
Where do I see the .X? Opened package content, 'get info', also where I downloaded, can't find the version.

Dudefoxlive

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2014
NO
I got it from macdrug.com
Where do I see the .X? Opened package content, 'get info', also where I downloaded, can't find the version.
for the .X i mean is it 10.10. or 10.? their is a number after the 10.10 and i have found that it helps to use just plain 10.10
i started a private conversation so that i can help you better.

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
Anyone could help me here? I have a Macbook white 3,1 Santa Rosa 4GB ram 120gb SSD. Did all the sfott thing, booted via usb and when trying to install Yosemite, I get this message. Thanks.

View attachment 643852

All the steps https://1drv.ms/f/s!Al4uSCTFES2DgbZjxQHNit7F5dcznA
ok,,
did you follow the process step by step? did you patch your PlatformSuport.plist File correctly?
I don't now what you have done, but, when we make correctly the SFOtt Usb Install, he should run like one regular OS,,your's seem's to be different,,

guialvim

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2016
Brazil
ok,,
did you follow the process step by step? did you patch your PlatformSuport.plist File correctly?
I don't now what you have done, but, when we make correctly the SFOtt Usb Install, he should run like one regular OS,,your's seem's to be different,,

Probably good news happening. It is installing right now. I will let you guys know the procedure if it works. Had to use some information found here and in other threads.
[doublepost=1470678120][/doublepost]
Here is a Link to a pre-patched ready to install Yosemite img.
This img has worked well for me and many others, YMMV.

Thanks. Let me just finish the procedure I finally got to work, I hope.et you guys know.
[doublepost=1470681550][/doublepost]Good news. Finally succeeded installing Yosemite 10.10. So far, the graphics are not ok, of course, also no sound. I will look for some help on this. If you know, please send me the link. Replying directly from Yosemite.
So, find below what I had to do to make it work. I would like to thank everyone who helped me here and with pm.

I have a Macbook white 3,1 Santa Rosa 2007
Latest OSx Lion 10.7
4GB Ram
SSD 120gb Kingston uv400

Used latest MacPostFactor, 2.0.1
Yosemite 10.10 install app

The ONLY way I got to work was doing this, and only this:
Steps:

1) MacPostFactor installed on my current ssd, Yosemite 10.10 install app file moved to Applications
2) USB stick 32gb Sandisk (no extension needed) plugged in
3) Run MPF, selected Yosemite (it will only be selectable if the install file is at Applications folder), chose usb stick to be installed at. At customize screen that shows up, selected Clean Install and as my macbook has EFI64, had to chose that. Then install. MPF will not ask to reboot.
4) Do not reboot. Run MPF again, this time chose current macbook, clean install, etc. After procedures, MPF will reboot automatically. PAY ATTENTION. RIGHT AFTER REBOOTING HOLD OPTION KEY UNTIL IT SHOWS YOUR MACBOOK DISK AND USB STICK.
5) do not chose your main disk. select the usb and go.
6) That's it. The installation will show up and you are good to go.

It only worked for me, if I did the MPF install on both drives, first on usb.

After installation, login screen, your password, it took some time, then it looked freezed but I just hit any key and I'm here, happy, with Chrome updated.

Thanks again for all the support. Whenever you come to Brazil, the beer is on me.

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
i don't get it,, the SFOTT script creator as said how to patch the Platformsupport plist,,i did this process with 2 macbooks,, and i've patched the Platform support plist by my own, didn't get any files from internet,,,i don't get what did you follow,,
[doublepost=1470755700][/doublepost]
for some reason, i don't now how do you follow SFOTT Methode,, he don't speak about any pre patched image, to create the USB Sfott you need 1 8G USB (minimum), Yosemite APP from Apple store and some time to do it,,,somethings should be replaced, things like BOOT.EFI and you had to patch your PlatformSupport Plist by yourself,,it mean's you need to put your ID and Model on that Platform Support Plist file,,simple as that,, using Text edit,,and in the end, don't forget to chose " plist ", other way, he will save on TXT, that won't work,,,to change to Boot.EFI usually with a Pad, you need to unlock,,oh,, i forgot,, to do this, is better to have other system running, Snow Leopard/Lion, to be able to finnish install,,,,,i got some videos where i show how to do it,,
[doublepost=1470755940][/doublepost]
Probably good news happening. It is installing right now. I will let you guys know the procedure if it works. Had to use some information found here and in other threads.
[doublepost=1470678120][/doublepost]

Thanks. Let me just finish the procedure I finally got to work, I hope.et you guys know.
[doublepost=1470681550][/doublepost]Good news. Finally succeeded installing Yosemite 10.10. So far, the graphics are not ok, of course, also no sound. I will look for some help on this. If you know, please send me the link. Replying directly from Yosemite.
So, find below what I had to do to make it work. I would like to thank everyone who helped me here and with pm.

I have a Macbook white 3,1 Santa Rosa 2007
Latest OSx Lion 10.7
4GB Ram
SSD 120gb Kingston uv400

Used latest MacPostFactor, 2.0.1
Yosemite 10.10 install app

The ONLY way I got to work was doing this, and only this:
Steps:

1) MacPostFactor installed on my current ssd, Yosemite 10.10 install app file moved to Applications
2) USB stick 32gb Sandisk (no extension needed) plugged in
3) Run MPF, selected Yosemite (it will only be selectable if the install file is at Applications folder), chose usb stick to be installed at. At customize screen that shows up, selected Clean Install and as my macbook has EFI64, had to chose that. Then install. MPF will not ask to reboot.
4) Do not reboot. Run MPF again, this time chose current macbook, clean install, etc. After procedures, MPF will reboot automatically. PAY ATTENTION. RIGHT AFTER REBOOTING HOLD OPTION KEY UNTIL IT SHOWS YOUR MACBOOK DISK AND USB STICK.
5) do not chose your main disk. select the usb and go.
6) That's it. The installation will show up and you are good to go.

It only worked for me, if I did the MPF install on both drives, first on usb.

After installation, login screen, your password, it took some time, then it looked freezed but I just hit any key and I'm here, happy, with Chrome updated.

Thanks again for all the support. Whenever you come to Brazil, the beer is on me.
well,, good for you, you have made it,, graphics can be tune with some extra things, don't remembe r at the moment,, sound unfurtunatly haven't got any solution, everytime you boot your mac u should setup your sound,,have fun,,

guialvim

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2016
Brazil
i don't get it,, the SFOTT script creator as said how to patch the Platformsupport plist,,i did this process with 2 macbooks,, and i've patched the Platform support plist by my own, didn't get any files from internet,,,i don't get what did you follow,,
[doublepost=1470755700][/doublepost]
for some reason, i don't now how do you follow SFOTT Methode,, he don't speak about any pre patched image, to create the USB Sfott you need 1 8G USB (minimum), Yosemite APP from Apple store and some time to do it,,,somethings should be replaced, things like BOOT.EFI and you had to patch your PlatformSupport Plist by yourself,,it mean's you need to put your ID and Model on that Platform Support Plist file,,simple as that,, using Text edit,,and in the end, don't forget to chose " plist ", other way, he will save on TXT, that won't work,,,to change to Boot.EFI usually with a Pad, you need to unlock,,oh,, i forgot,, to do this, is better to have other system running, Snow Leopard/Lion, to be able to finnish install,,,,,i got some videos where i show how to do it,,
[doublepost=1470755940][/doublepost]
well,, good for you, you have made it,, graphics can be tune with some extra things, don't remembe r at the moment,, sound unfurtunatly haven't got any solution, everytime you boot your mac u should setup your sound,,have fun,,

Just installed the kexts for my graphic card, booted using command + S, did the terminal command thing, rebooted, now it identified my graphic card and the sound, didn't need to use kextutility to add applehda.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_8_9_16__12_39.png
    Screenshot_8_9_16__12_39.png
    443.8 KB · Views: 495

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
Hi,

Thanks for this awesome hack!

But I'm confused on the third step. :)

Thanks!!!

Hello RichFinch,

i am having the same problem - have you found a solution to this?

Everytime on MacPro 1.1 it says that Yosemite is already installed, no matter what Harddrive i use.
[doublepost=1470766277][/doublepost]
I have now managed to create a bootable Yosemite USB stick.

However i've now booted up from the USB and it says I am already running Yosemite on this mac?

Could this be to do with the fact I am already running Tiamos hacked 10.9 ?

Thanks

Hello i am on Mavericks 10.9.5 using Sfott - having the same issue on macpro1.1

get this message also when i remove the harddrive and boot a blank hdd. any ideas why?
[doublepost=1470766406][/doublepost]

Does this DMG. need to be edited? Can i use it on MacPro1.1?

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
Hello RichFinch,

i am having the same problem - have you found a solution to this?

Everytime on MacPro 1.1 it says that Yosemite is already installed, no matter what Harddrive i use.
[doublepost=1470766277][/doublepost]

Hello i am on Mavericks 10.9.5 using Sfott - having the same issue on macpro1.1

get this message also when i remove the harddrive and boot a blank hdd. any ideas why?
[doublepost=1470766406][/doublepost]

Does this DMG. need to be edited? Can i use it on MacPro1.1?

I got this problem cleared by putting the SFOTT installer directly onto a blank HDD partition. Don't know why it did complain with USB Drives. Maybe both USB i used were somehow corrupted...thanks for this aweseome installer!

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
Just installed the kexts for my graphic card, booted using command + S, did the terminal command thing, rebooted, now it identified my graphic card and the sound, didn't need to use kextutility to add applehda.

Thank you.
yeah you use single user mode to install something, and so,, did you create a USB bootable drive? how? with Yosemite App dmg from apple store? or you download some DMG distro changed by some guy?? those are two diferent things,, but have fun,,
[doublepost=1470871253][/doublepost]
I got this problem cleared by putting the SFOTT installer directly onto a blank HDD partition. Don't know why it did complain with USB Drives. Maybe both USB i used were somehow corrupted...thanks for this aweseome installer!
buy a new mac,, really,, don't pay for the time and final result,,he will boug a lot,,probably have some issues,,, i did it with MacBook 4.1 and it was limit,,so,,

spencerdevere

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
UK
Hi, MacRumors newbie here! (So go easy!)

I've just spent several days trying to install either Mavericks or Yosemite on my Mac Pro 2.1 (2007) running Lion OS X 10.7.5. I've finally managed to create the a SFOTT USB key (Yosemite) and am now able to select it as start up disk.. but after re-boot, it just returns to the original 10.7.5 OS X. Am I missing something here?

Specs:
Mac Pro 2.1 running OS X 10.7.5 (fresh install)
2 x 3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
28 GB RAM
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

NB I've tried all the different USB slots plus have also tried creating a partition on an internal drive instead of using the USB (as suggested on oemden's SFOTT page in the troubleshooting bit)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
Hi, MacRumors newbie here! (So go easy!)

I've just spent several days trying to install either Mavericks or Yosemite on my Mac Pro 2.1 (2007) running Lion OS X 10.7.5. I've finally managed to create the a SFOTT USB key (Yosemite) and am now able to select it as start up disk.. but after re-boot, it just returns to the original 10.7.5 OS X. Am I missing something here?

Specs:
Mac Pro 2.1 running OS X 10.7.5 (fresh install)
2 x 3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
28 GB RAM
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

NB I've tried all the different USB slots plus have also tried creating a partition on an internal drive instead of using the USB (as suggested on oemden's SFOTT page in the troubleshooting bit)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
[doublepost=1487545512][/doublepost]ok,,you have successfull install Yosemite, so, you need to reboot on Lion and there, navigate to your Yosemite partition, here surf to system/library/coreservices and copy the platformsupport.plist to your desktop - Lion ( create a folder is better), then deleted from your Yosemite system, if i remember well is that you need to do, and is the main reason to have another system running to install it,, good luck

spencerdevere

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
UK
[doublepost=1487545512][/doublepost]ok,,you have successfull install Yosemite, so, you need to reboot on Lion and there, navigate to your Yosemite partition, here surf to system/library/coreservices and copy the platformsupport.plist to your desktop - Lion ( create a folder is better), then deleted from your Yosemite system, if i remember well is that you need to do, and is the main reason to have another system running to install it,, good luck

Thanks for your reply!

Hi, thanks for your response. However, I don't quite understand what you mean: my Yosemite SFOTT 'partition' is a USB key. If I click on the SFOTT USB key, I can only see an 'Applications' folder and I cannot find the system/library.coreservices and/or platformsupport.plist file any where on this (USB) 'partition' so I cannot copy it onto the Lion desktop! What do you suggest?

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
you should check the terminal output - with sfott + yosemite i sometimes had to manually copy the kernel onto the usb. it would say kernel not found etc. in the sfott-process. then you woiuld have to extract it manually
if so, then you can do so with following steps

first type in terminal
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
then restart Finder (KillAll Finder)
then
- would have to create manually a folder "Kernels" in /System/Library on the USB
- with pacifist (program) you would extract the kernel from the installation dmg from Essentials.pkg >> there it is in / System / Installation >> into >> /System/Library onto USB

if the Sfott has copied the Boot.efi exactly to where it should be, then now you should be able to select Yosemite Starter as Booting device - otherwise probably also the Boot.Efi got not copied correctly (this happened also sometimes, don't know why though) - you could find Boot.efi here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-yosemite.1740775/
don't forget to install PikeYose.fix after installation and reboot so that you can apply all the updates if so wished.

a guide that helped me understand how to copy the boot.efi manually is from this great here

Boosted98

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
I've been trying to get this set up, but for some reason every time I open SFOTT it shows:
Creating working directory /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo
Moving to working directory /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo
no zip no icon
ditto: Couldn't read PKZip signature

I went through the process a second time after using the method in the OP by going with option 3 "Patch existing SFOTT key with current config" and everything appeared to work smoothly as it should, and it said Yosemite was ready to install.
When I go to start up from that disk though, it doesn't show up. I don't have it when I hold option on startup and I can't select it in system preferences.
The only thing I can see wrong is the "Couldn't read PKZip signature" error. What can I do about that?

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
Hey guys, its 128keaton. I wanted to make a quick guide for those who are stumbling through getting Yosemite on your unsupported Macs, namely Mac Pros and Mac Minis which are perfectly capable with some upgrades. Before you begin, if you have a Mac Pro, get a better graphics card, your default one will suck, thanks to Yosemite. The one that I am using as a stop-gap actually works fine for Yosemite, it is currently $35 (USD) on Newegg, if you want it, here is the link. Now on to the guide!

NOTICE: I am not responsible for erasing or breaking your Mac! Continue at your own risk!

This works on the public release with some 'shoe-horn'ing.

Prerequisites:
* An unsupported Mac, your choice if you deem it capable or not.
* SFOTT Beta [download] [mirror]
* A USB Drive (8GB).
* OS X Yosemite.app

Pre-install:

1. Download and install SFOTT from the link/mirror above.

2. Download Yosemite either from a suspicious location or from the Mac App Store (try using Mavericks Download Enabler if on unsupported Mac).

3. Rename 'Install OS X Yosemite.app' to 'Install OS X Yosemite Beta.app'.
Hopefully that will not need to happen in newer versions of the script.

4. Plug the USB drive into your Mac and format it as 'Mac OS Extended' and name it SFOTT.

(photos will be added later)

Note: 12a only needs to be done if your Mac Pro's graphic card doesn't have EFI boot. If it does, you can still use 12a, but you can also use 12b.

SFOTT:

1. Open SFOTTBeta and follow the instructions until you get to a numbered Terminal menu.

2. Go to the Extras menu (7) and then the Yosemite menu (9).

3. Select Yosemite Public Beta (2), since the official option is a placeholder, lol.
4.Go back to the main menu (1) and go to settings (3).

5. Select 'Choose USB/media for the sfott key' (2) and select the SFOTT usb key you made earlier.

6. Return to the main menu (5) and then go to settings (3) then select option 'Select the computer to use' (3).

7. Use option 'Choose current computer' (1) and then select 'Select OS X System Version' (4).

8. Select 'OS X Yosemite Beta' (1)

9. Select 'Select OS X Installer' (5) and select 'In the default /Applications Folder location (Faster)' (1) It should work if you renamed your installer specified above.

10. Go back to the main menu and select 'Create / Patch SFOTT Key' (4).

11. Select 'Create a New key in Autorun' (2). Follow the directions there.

12a. If you have a graphics card that doesn't support EFI boot, open System Preferences on the target Mac, plug in the SFOTT USB key, and open the 'Startup Disk' preference pane. Select the SFOTT key and reboot from the panel.

12b. If you are using a Mac with built-in graphics or your graphics card supports EFI boot, just reboot and hold down option after the chime.

13. Your install should continue as expected.

Troubleshooting:

1. The installer says 'OS X Cannot be Installed on this Machine':
Make sure you set your machine/board-id in step 6-7.
[doublepost=1499885439][/doublepost]if this can be usefull for anybody, in the pass, i've installed Yosemite on macbook 4.1 late 2007 if i'm not wrong, '" unsupported ",, i used SFOOT script too,https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rted-macs-guide.1761432/page-31#post-21502033
[doublepost=1499885545][/doublepost]
I've been trying to get this set up, but for some reason every time I open SFOTT it shows:
Creating working directory /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo
Moving to working directory /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo
no zip no icon
ditto: Couldn't read PKZip signature

I went through the process a second time after using the method in the OP by going with option 3 "Patch existing SFOTT key with current config" and everything appeared to work smoothly as it should, and it said Yosemite was ready to install.
When I go to start up from that disk though, it doesn't show up. I don't have it when I hold option on startup and I can't select it in system preferences.
The only thing I can see wrong is the "Couldn't read PKZip signature" error. What can I do about that?
i've done this before, but i've made things a litle bit different, check it out, maybe can help,https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rted-macs-guide.1761432/page-31#post-21502033

cakey

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2018
I have downloaded this twice (takes over 5 hours due to its size and Mega's restrictions) and both are corrupted and do not open.

I found this.

Could I use that with the OP method?

Cheers

Last edited:

McPro1-1

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2018
Just wanted to let people know about a successful graphics card install.

I have a 2006 MacPro 2.66 dual core that I successfully used Tiamos boot loader to install Mavericks 10.9.5. Theres a known bug that reduces the nVidia GeForce 7300 GT with 256 MB to only 2MB. I am not a gamer and don't care much about graphics but I successfully installed the 35$ Asus 210 Silent 1Gb DDR3 without having to flash it or do anything other than drop it in. Just wanted to make this known since the only info I could find was for very expensive graphics cards for serious gamers and video editors. It was a bit of a tight fit but it works fine. Before this I tried an MSI GeForce GT 710 2GB Low Profile Video Card and it did not work. Please note that with the Asus card you will only get a white boot screen, but it boots fine. Also I only use the DVI port so I'm not sure if the HDMI or VGA port work.

msramalho

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2019
Hello,

Thank you for your post. Does anyone know where to find a 10.10 yosemite version?
I am only allowed to download the 10.10.5 from the app store, unless there is a trick to it

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.