Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Totemsflare

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
London
Hi guys,

I’m waiting for my MBP and will need to install Windows for some
work applications (freelancer translator here). I’ll have 256 but don’t want to partition the drive to install Windows since I’ll need at least 100 gb for it - also want to download some of my steam games on the partition.

Is it possible to install and boot windows from an external drive via usbc? Could you guys recommend drives and give instructions on how to do this, if even possible?

Thanks!

Ashbash75

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2017
That’s how my system is setup but it’s not that straight forward ilrc. There are plenty on tutorials on the net. You still need to use your existing drive to install Windows, then again on your external drive and then you can delete your original boot camp.

I’m getting over 480mb/s on my Samsung t5

Reactions: Totemsflare

Totemsflare

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
London
I installed Parallels Desktop instead because I was getting a constant "kernel driver not installed rc -1908" when trying to install Windows 10 using bootcamp. Anyone knows how to solve it? I would prefer the stability of native Windows but can't seem to partition the drive via bootcamp.

Edit: that was actually the error I was getting on VirtualBox. :D On bootcamp I was getting a partition error and the application recommended using disk utility to check for errors. I did that but it didn't solve anything. What am I missing that I can't install Windows 10 via bootcamp on a brand new 2017 MacBook Pro?

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Guys, I am trying to install Windows 10 on an external USB drive, but am failing miserably.
I have the 256Gb drive formatted and showing up fine in File Manager, and Windows Disk Management.
When I run Rufus, it doesn't see the drive under Devices, and when I run Hasleo Win2USB, I get the attached error.
Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• W2G.JPG
    W2G.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 512

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
My last post was wrong. Although Win2USB didn't complain when I converted to MBR, it wouldn't boot on my iMac.
So, the answer was to convert back to GBT, create a FAT32 system partition (14Gb) and a NTFS main boot partition. Then, W10 installed and booted perfectly.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
An old thread this but just wondering about some advice.

I have Windows10 installed as a native install on an NTFS SSD that was installed in a SATA bay on my 5,1.
I've put the drive into the slot of an eGPU case and it shows on the desktop and also in the Startup disk prefpane.
It does not however show up if I option boot into Boot manager.
(I have no 'real' bootcamp install on this machine).
Anybody have any pointers or ideas?

TIA.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.