Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Hi, I don't have the device yet in my possession (AppleTV 1st gen) but I was wondering would it be possible to install OS X 10.5 to Apple TV when I don't own a Mac so I can't execute any command line commands which are required according to instructions?

I do have laptop-IDE to USB adapter. With MacDrive I should be able to read/write to the drive on Windows but those commands might be unavailable and Mac is needed? Or maybe if I get vmware image and direct USB to the drive in VirtualBox then I could apply commands using it?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
OP
Apple TVs have their own operating system.
the only "thing" or action a computer with iTunes can perform on an TV is restore the device.
Im trying to install older programs today on my tv 3 gen. but not expecting any success.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
When googling the original AppleTV has removable IDE hard drive and it boots from it so original OS can be replaced, people have installed OS X 10.4, 10.5 and even 10.6 to it but 10.5 apparently has the best functionality, altough 256mb of ram isn't a good thing.

Unofficial install image of OS X was used by modifiers.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
OP
Apple TVs have their own operating system.
the only "thing" or action a computer with iTunes can perform on an TV is restore the device.
Im trying to install older programs today on my tv 3 gen. but not expecting any success.
The original Apple TV was essentially a stripped down Mac. It used a Intel processor and Nvidia GPU. It ran Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger locked to running Front Row. You can install a full blown version of Mac OS X Tiger on that box. It's not practical or really useful, but it's fun to play around with.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I now have owned the device for couple days, so far I have tried how to restore the original AppleTV OS in case nothing else works. I tried it because for some reason automatic update couldn't update past 1.0 version so I found 3.0.2 as complete download.

Currently the device is running OSMC, a Linux-based mediacenter. I have not actually used it for anything useful, just installed it and connected online. Remote works fine with that OS. I haven't even tried playing movies from external disk but probably it can do it. Apparently OSMC does have add-ons which should enable some new functions and it could also be converted to regular desktop Linux installation with some terminal commands.

If I could enable GPU acceleration in Tiger that would probably be the most reasonable OS X option because of low RAM.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.