Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumoursofrain

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
SL Server gone

Well, Apple have discontinued sale of Snow Leopard Server. Why would they do that? So now eBay or a dmg download anywhere?:eek:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Are you in the United States?

Try calling Apple again and if you encounter resistance ask to speak to another representative.

jhessco

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
Install Snow Leopard Server in Parallels 10

I just purchased Parallels 10.2.0 and installed it it a Mac i5 3.2Ghz with 8gb memory running osx 10.8.4. I purchased Snow Leopard Server from Apple(10.6.3)
I followed your instructions and when the operating systems found screen appears it
shows: “osx Mac OSX Server Install Disc” as the only option
However there is the grey wheel spinning. I waited over 30 minutes but it never stopped.
I hit the continue button and the installation began but ended with a black screen with the message:
Boot failed
EFI Hard Drive
EFI DVD/CD ROM

Any suggestions?

PS: it took about 30 minutes and 3 CSR’s to purchase Snow Leopard Server from Apple

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I have installed SLS about a half a dozen times and never ran into this problem.

I just suggest that you throw out the PVM file and start fresh all over again.

PS: it took about 30 minutes and 3 CSR’s to purchase Snow Leopard Server from Apple

More and more I am hearing this problem. I guess it is a surprise to the Customer Service Reps that Snow Leopard Server still exists and is sold by them! The cure is to be persistent, as you have already discovered!

rumoursofrain

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
Outside US

No Michael, in Botswana, Africa. I'll try and find a number I can Skype Out with. And maybe I can persuade a distant American relative to make a .dmg and put it in my Dropbox. Thanks for all the great stuff and your time on this and the Apple site.

sabato64

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
Freehand mx and opening its files

:(:(:(:(Hello to you all of the Forum, I have a big problem with freehand mx.
In the office I have updated the mac with latest model with the system installed on osx 10.9.5.
I have thousands and thousands of files in freehand mx, 25 years of my working life that I can not give up.
I then installed parallel 10 and on it osx 10.6 server, everything went well.
I installed then freehand mx, fully functional even at high resolution.
Only huge problem that freehand mx does not see me all my files in freehand if I do not add extension fh11.
This to me is a huge problem, because it does not see them ???
I should perhaps add something to the server system is lacking compared to the original ???
I also tried to install osx 10.6 normal parallel but does not accept it !!!
I ask you kindly help ......:(:(:(:(

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
In theory, you should be experiencing this problem even if you were running Freehand MX in Snow Leopard natively on an older Mac.

It sounds like some of your files were created with an older version of Freehand that the one you have now.

First of all, be sure that you have updated Freehand MX for Snow Leopard:

Go to this link on the Adobe website for instructions to update to Snow Leopard.

If that does not fix the problem highlight one of the offending files in Snow Leopard Server in Parallels. Do a "Get-Info" by typing Command-I or go under the Files Menu to Get Info.

Where it says "Open With" select Freehand MX and click on CHANGE ALL.

Let us know if this solves the problem for you.

jimmueller

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
NJ
That's Snow Leopard "desktop", not server. You need to call the Apple Store to get Server, so it may actually be discontinued.

damn. well spotted.
on the phone now with Apple trying to cancel but it's already shipped and they don't take returns on software - even unopened.

edit - Supervisor authorized the return, so now I just have to order SL SERVER...

SL Server IS still available under the part number listed in the first post. It just took them (phone person and her Supervisor) a long time to find it.

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Thank you for the confirmation that Snow Leopard Server is still available by telephone order.

jimmueller

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
NJ
Thank you for the confirmation that Snow Leopard Server is still available by telephone order.

Quite welcome. The phone person was very helpful and persistent. There was none of the "I don't see it on my list so it's not available goodbye *click*" that I've experienced with other computer and software vendors.

jimmueller

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
NJ
couple of issues with Parallels 9 on Yosemite

While waiting for my real copy of Snow Leopard Server to arrive, I thought I'd try the tricky install in Parallels 9 on my Mac Pro running Yosemite.
I found two bits to share - one a pause, one a boon:

1 - Parallels 9 does not recognize the .cdr extension of the tweaked SL DVD/CD Master image file but changing the extension to .dmg in the Finder let me drag it to Parallels' "manually locate" field with no problems.

2 - Parallels 9 shares the system Clipboard so copying the text in Yosemite and pasting it into TextEdit in the virtualized SnowLeopard worked. A great boon to non-typists like me.

Col Legno

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
Well I spoke too soon, about all being well with the installation of 10.6 on parallels 8 on my 10.8 machine. Yesterday and this morning it seemed to be working almost fine. Problem with command-click for multiple select, in the finder and in an app. But more or less working.

Now I seem locked out of parallels. The symptoms are no cursor, which I can briefly restore by hitting control-option. But then when I click something it reverts to locked out.

Did a restart of parallel-8 and am getting a message that an invalid Mac OS version is installed; Mac OS X virtual machines can have onlythe Mac OS X Server Leopard or Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard opeating system installed. But yesterday and this morning it was working.

Suggestions please.

Thanks

----------

Hello again, I see my comment just appeared. But the comment that I entered yesterday did not appear. So I guess it is lost in the ether. I will try to recap.

I had offered praises to MichaelLax for this thread which has been ongoing for three years now.

I installed parallels-8 on my 10.8 machine with the intent of operating 10.6.8 inside that wrapper. With a few pitfalls the installation worked and I was able to install Eudora 6.2.4 on it and get it to work.

This evening it all went south, per my previous comment.

Again Thanks to MichaelLax for maintaining this thread and to others who helped along the way.

Col Legno.

Col Legno

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
An invalid Mac OS version is installed

I discovered message 67 in this thread and followed the instructions. But once I got to the start up, it went back to the message stating invalid mac os version.

So now I am flummoxed.

using parallels 8 on macos 10.8. I had gotten the 10.6.8 to work, but evidently the system hung and I needed to follow the instructions on message 67.

any suggestions?

thanks Col Legno

and my big motivation is Eudora 6.

rumoursofrain

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
It works – Parallels and SL Server, thanks MichaelLAX

After a struggle I got everything working and have Office 2004 up and running here in Botswana, Africa! Thanks very much MicheaelLAX.:rolleyes: Now my contribution...

I got SL Server off eBay (at a hefty price) as no way would Apple store would ship outside US. Sellers wouldn't send here so sent to my brother in England – expensive. So rather than risk a shipping loss (DHL 'lost' my iPhone replacement being shipped here!!) my brother made a .dmg disc image 7.3Gb! and I got it via ftp with a bit of sweat due to breakages - use FileZilla (free) if you want to do this as it resumes if there's a break.

Meanwhile I'd bought Parallels 10. On trying to install from the .dmg file I got a spinning 'circle of death'. (I checked out the .dmg by burning a DVD and setting up install on on an older machine running SL and it was fine.) So I sent a support request to Parallels and after a long while (on Logmein123 and phone call from them - great service) they worked out that there was a problem and asked me to try and install from the DVD I'd made! And bingo, all was fine, installed! They said an .iso file would also (may?) have worked. So don't try and install from a .dmg for now.

Apple :apple:, I love you to bits since 1988 (Mac SE), but why did you make all this so difficult? :confused: You should be giving SL Server away by now for all of us who NEED to run Rosetta-based (or is it Carbon?) old applications to retrieve old files, if nothing else. Instead you need to be in the US, and know who to call – wow, that's dark ages stuff, who you know and all that.

Now, where are those Pagemaker files again? :) Running 10.9 btw.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Well I spoke too soon, about all being well with the installation of 10.6 on parallels 8 on my 10.8 machine. Yesterday and this morning it seemed to be working almost fine. Problem with command-click for multiple select, in the finder and in an app. But more or less working.

Now I seem locked out of parallels. The symptoms are no cursor, which I can briefly restore by hitting control-option. But then when I click something it reverts to locked out.

Did a restart of parallel-8 and am getting a message that an invalid Mac OS version is installed; Mac OS X virtual machines can have onlythe Mac OS X Server Leopard or Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard opeating system installed. But yesterday and this morning it was working.

Suggestions please.

Thanks

----------

Hello again, I see my comment just appeared. But the comment that I entered yesterday did not appear. So I guess it is lost in the ether. I will try to recap.

I had offered praises to MichaelLax for this thread which has been ongoing for three years now.

I installed parallels-8 on my 10.8 machine with the intent of operating 10.6.8 inside that wrapper. With a few pitfalls the installation worked and I was able to install Eudora 6.2.4 on it and get it to work.

This evening it all went south, per my previous comment.

Again Thanks to MichaelLax for maintaining this thread and to others who helped along the way.

Col Legno.

It sounds like you are installing Snow Leopard client into Parallels. For an additional $20 to Apple you should purchase Snow Leopard Server, which will install into Parallels much more easily and will maintain without the errors you are now noticing.

Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels 7 & 8

Thank you for your praises!:)

----------

While waiting for my real copy of Snow Leopard Server to arrive, I thought I'd try the tricky install in Parallels 9 on my Mac Pro running Yosemite.
I found two bits to share - one a pause, one a boon...

Thanks for your input!

----------

After a struggle I got everything working and have Office 2004 up and running here in Botswana, Africa! Thanks very much MichaelLAX.:rolleyes: Now my contribution......

Good news and thanks for your contributions!

Col Legno

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
Hello again Michael. I had followed the instructions to convert 10.6 to the 10.6 server using the terminal. It worked for a while (about a day) but then failed on me. I will try again. -Col

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
These original instructions were written when Snow Leopard Server costs $499+!

Now that SLS is only $20, you are much better off to use Snow Leopard Server.

Where are you located?

Col Legno

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
hello Michael, eastern time zone.

I have once again made a server using instructions in message 67. That is easy. Isn't this the same as the server that I would buy and wait for it to come by mail?

I was able to get 10.6 up and going the other night, but it failed evidently because parallels quit before I logged out of 10.6.

I was unsuccessful in your recovery act.

So I figured to start all over again.

But now Parallels 8 is not recognizing the file SuperDrive-Server.cdr as a server.

From the terminal window:

MacBook-Pro:Desktop @@@@$ hdiutil convert -format UDTO -o SuperDrive-Server.cdr SuperDrive.cdr -shadow
Reading Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…
Reading BOOTCAMP (Apple_ISO : 1)…
Reading Apple (Apple_partition_map : 2)…
Reading Macintosh (Apple_Driver_ATAPI : 3)…
Reading (Apple_Free : 4)…
Reading Mac_OS_X (Apple_HFS : 5)…
Elapsed Time: 5m 35.431s
Speed: 23.0Mbytes/sec
Savings: 0.0%
created: /Users/@@@@/Desktop/SuperDrive-Server.cdr
MacBook-Pro:Desktop @@@@$

so it seems as if it successfully made a server cdr. It sees Superdrive-server.cdr in the new installation windoe. But when I go through configurations and than ask it to boot up, it gives me the window that says it needs a server.

I do have a string of virtual machines (from multiple attempts) in a window that opens when I restart parallels. could it be getting confused by these?

I would welcome any suggestions. Col

----------

sorry, mis spoke; It was the instructions in message 413 that I followed.

col

--

In the meantime I sprung $19.99 for the CD of the server, which will arrive in a week. Arrgh, in this age of instant gratification.

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
hello Michael, eastern time zone.

I have once again made a server using instructions in message 67. That is easy. Isn't this the same as the server that I would buy and wait for it to come by mail?

In the meantime I sprung $19.99 for the CD of the server, which will arrive in a week. Arrgh, in this age of instant gratification.

The answer to your question is, of course, a big NO!

I am glad to hear that you have purchased Snow Leopard Server. Apple will surprise you and it will arrive sooner than you think!

You mention that you are using Parallels 8, so I assume you are also using OS X Lion, Mt. Lion or Mavericks. I believe that Yosemite requires Parallels 9 or 10.

Be sure you have updated to the most current version of Parallels 8 and use the specific instructions for installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels 8 that I have linked to you previously.

You will avoid all of the pitfalls that you previously encountered when you use the actual official version of Snow Leopard Server. Yes, quitting Parallels before shutting down Snow Leopard is one of those problems that you will no longer have to worry about!

Keep us posted! :)

Col Legno

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
The answer to your question is, of course, a big NO!

Perhaps when you get a chance you could elaborate on that. I had thought that the lines of code in terminal did the trick.

You mention that you are using Parallels 8, so I assume you are also using OS X Lion, Mt. Lion or Mavericks. I believe that Yosemite requires Parallels 9 or 10.

10.8. Much of the motivation for this is that I have been holding out on 10.6.8 on my machine at work so that I can run Eudora. But our IT folks are getting restive; insisting I up(?)grade to 10.8 for security reasons. So I am doing this on my computer at home as a stalking horse for doing it at work. I have 10.8 at home because I mistakenly thought I could downgrade it to 10.6 after I bought it. I used to love my mac but now I put up with it.

I really rely on eudora. It is so fast, so sleek. option click on a name in the from column and you get all the messages from that person. Option click on a subject and you get all the messages in that thread. I could go on and on about all the great features in eudora that I have not seen elsewhere. I typically have 8 or 10 mailboxes open for projects I am working on. Get done with the project, close the mailbox. But it is there when I need it. Reopen the project, reopen the mailbox. Click and drag messages from one mailbox to another. Click and drag attachments from one message to another. Leave messages on server for 28 days in case I inadvertently delete. Option paste for quote. command option r for reply all. command d to delete. Really speeds my workflow.

I have all my emails from circa 1992 on my machine (except of course the ones I deleted). And from time to time I need to refer to an old email; there it is.

Be sure you have updated to the most current version of Parallels 8 and use the specific instructions for installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels 8 that I have linked to you previously.

You will avoid all of the pitfalls that you previously encountered when you use the actual official version of Snow Leopard Server. Yes, quitting Parallels before shutting down Snow Leopard is one of those problems that you will no longer have to worry about!

well that will be a relief. Well worth the $20. Plus $20 for parallels 8 on ebay. (times 2, because they are fussy at work).

Keep us posted! :)

Sure to. And again thanks for maintaining this blog and for your personal attention to folks with problems.

Col

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
The elaboration you desire is outside the scope of this thread. The moderators have assisted me in keeping distracting posts from narrow-minded trolls off of this thread. If you want to point me to another place or thread to have this discussion, I would be happy to elaborate.

The main purpose of this thread is to help those with orphaned powerpc software with no valid intel replacement continue to operate their software. With the addition of more time, these users can determine how best to deal with their future needs, while concurrently operating their software. Such examples are Freehand MX, Appleworks databases and some graphics and college students needing to run PowerPC CD-ROMs on their modern day Macs.

To a limited extent, your need, running Eudora, can fall into this category, as well. But at some point, you must face the fact that you need to move to a different email client.

Always happy to help out! :)

Col Legno

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
The elaboration you desire is outside the scope of this thread. The moderators have assisted me in keeping distracting posts from narrow-minded trolls off of this thread. If you want to point me to another place or thread to have this discussion, I would be happy to elaborate.

The main purpose of this thread is to help those with orphaned powerpc software with no valid intel replacement continue to operate their software. With the addition of more time, these users can determine how best to deal with their future needs, while concurrently operating their software. Such examples are Freehand MX, Appleworks databases and some graphics and college students needing to run PowerPC CD-ROMs on their modern day Macs.

To a limited extent, your need, running Eudora, can fall into this category, as well. But at some point, you must face the fact that you need to move to a different email client.

Always happy to help out! :)

Hello again Michael, I certainly do not wish to hijack this thread, but I rather object to being characterized as a narrow-minded troll, if that is what you meant by your comment. I had thought you wanted to know why various folks wanted to continue to run 10.6, and I presented my reason, namely to run Eudora.

You seem to be tolerant, yea supportive, of other folks who wish to run power pc software; why do you suggest I "face the fact that you need to move to a different email client", when I am so fond of Eudora, for the reasons that I briefly elaborated? I would be more than happy to move to a different email client if I could find one that had all the great features of Eudora. But isn't that for me to decide, especially if I can (with the help of yourself and others on this thread) get Eudora working in a 10.6 window in a parallels wrapper on a 10.8 machine?

I also inquired whether you might elaborate as to what were the differences between the server that one made using terminal on the 10.6 system disk versus the server disk from apple. Seemed like a fair question for this thread.

In any event, thank you again for maintaining this thread; I found it very helpful, and I would hope to come back to it if I have trouble getting 10.6 to work once I have obtained the server disk from apple, and if I run into problems, would hope that I might make further inquiries here. And if you wish, report on my experience. Isn't that what this thread is all about?

all the best

Colonel Legno (Col Legno)

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Hello again Michael, I certainly do not wish to hijack this thread, but I rather object to being characterized as a narrow-minded troll, if that is what you meant by your comment. I had thought you wanted to know why various folks wanted to continue to run 10.6, and I presented my reason, namely to run Eudora.

You misunderstood: I was referring to others whose comments were deleted by the moderators after they attempted to divert this thread into a discussion of a tangential issue. So I try to stay focused on the actual issues of utilizing SNow Leopard in Parallels and not get into discussions (here) about why using Terminal does do or does not do something else.

I will be back to you about the remainder of your post later...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.