Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
10.8. Much of the motivation for this is that I have been holding out on 10.6.8 on my machine at work so that I can run Eudora. But our IT folks are getting restive; insisting I up(?)grade to 10.8 for security reasons.

Keep in mind that while running a virtualized version of 10.6.8 may help to isolate some of the vulnerabilities from your computer, it really does very little, if anything, to improve network security and consequently, your employer's IT people should rightly be concerned about even a virtualized instance of 10.6.8 on their network.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Hello again Michael, I certainly do not wish to hijack this thread, but I rather object to being characterized as a narrow-minded troll, if that is what you meant by your comment. I had thought you wanted to know why various folks wanted to continue to run 10.6, and I presented my reason, namely to run Eudora.

As noted before, you misunderstood what I was saying

You seem to be tolerant, yea supportive, of other folks who wish to run power pc software; why do you suggest I "face the fact that you need to move to a different email client", when I am so fond of Eudora, for the reasons that I briefly elaborated?

Indeed, that is what this thread is all about: it allows the user of PowerPC software a longer timetable for them to decide if and when it is time to move to Intel software. Originally, in 2011 with the release of Lion, it was thought that there was no alternative to the loss of Rosetta in Lion.

I would be more than happy to move to a different email client if I could find one that had all the great features of Eudora. But isn't that for me to decide, especially if I can (with the help of yourself and others on this thread) get Eudora working in a 10.6 window in a parallels wrapper on a 10.8 machine?

Yes, it is absolutely your decision and again that is what this thread is all about: giving you an alternative to a Rosetta-less environment of Lion, Mt. Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite.

I just note that the day will come where even this solution can no longer be sustained on a modern Mac, so that you should consider a future where you will not longer be able to run Eudora and plan for that future.

As noted by the last poster, there are serious internet security issues posed by your use of Eudora, especially on an enterprise machine. Most of the people on this thread do NOT use SLS for internet purposes: Freehand MX, Appleworks databases and some graphics work and students who must read educational PowerPC CD-ROMs on their modern day MacBooks.

These users have the ability to concurrently use Yosemite, Mavericks, Mt. Lion or Lion to access the internet for those needs and obtain the full security available on those environments.

I also inquired whether you might elaborate as to what were the differences between the server that one made using terminal on the 10.6 system disk versus the server disk from apple. Seemed like a fair question for this thread.

The Server version of Snow Leopard includes "server" functions that are not needed for the running of Rosetta and PowerPC software. I advise most people to remove those "server" icons from the Dock, so as to not be confused by them. The Terminal version is merely the client version of Snow Leopard dressed in "server" clothing and hence does not have these additional functions.

In any event, thank you again for maintaining this thread; I found it very helpful, and I would hope to come back to it if I have trouble getting 10.6 to work once I have obtained the server disk from apple, and if I run into problems, would hope that I might make further inquiries here. And if you wish, report on my experience. Isn't that what this thread is all about?

all the best

Colonel Legno (Col Legno)

I look forward to your feedback about your experiences with SLS once it arrives!

Col Legno

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
I look forward to your feedback about your experiences with SLS once it arrives!

Hello again Michael

Perhaps I have done something wrong; Perhaps I just need to start all over. Or perhaps the travails I am experiencing with 10.6 Snow Leopard Server/Parallels 8/MacOs 10.8 are the norm.

I acquired the 10.6 Snow Leopard Server (5 business days from Apple) and followed the installation procedures for Parallels 7/8. Upgraded 10.6.3 from the server disk to 10.6.8 The good news is that the installation seems stable, in the sense that the Shared Folders disk icon appears on my Parallels/10.6 desktop. I can go back and forth between the parallels/10.6 and the native 10.8. Folders in 10.8 have a gray band across the top stating "Shared Folder". Clipboard works text and images both ways. That's nice.

However in Parallels/10.6 I have extremely limited access to the folders on my 10.8 machine. At most one or two levels deep, but mostly no contents showing, for example I have several external hard drives attached to my 10.8 machine and in most of them, in list view (command-2) I can click the open triangle; it points down but no contents shown. Desktop, no contents; Documents I see all 50 items in the folder, but most of them when I click the triangle, I see no contents whatsoever, and on those where I do see contents, I can only go down that level and no further. If I try to drag a file that I do see from a sub folder in the Shared Windows folder of Parallels/10.6 onto the Parallels/10.6 desktop I get a message

One or more items can’t be copied to “Desktop” because you don’t have permission to read them. Do you want to copy the items you are allowed to read?

So all of this is of course a real problem in any potential work flow involving Parallels/10.6.8 and native 10.8.

Apps seem to work ok in Parallels/10.6.8 so far as I have tried them: Safari, TextWrangler. I have installed Eudora and it works, but I can't keep the files on the native 10.8 machine (where they would be regularly backed up by time machine) because the file system in Parallels/10.6 can't see them, so that is a problem.

So I guess my question is whether what I am experiencing is norm or out of the norm. And if what I am experiencing is the norm, then of course it is not workable. And if (as I hope) not the norm, I would welcome suggestions how to proceed.

Thanks once more

Col Legno

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Not sure why you are experiencing these problems, but two ideas:

Use File Sharing instead of the Shared Folder. Use the GO menu in Snow Leopard Finder to Connect to Server... and enter your 10.8 Network IP (System Preferences:Network). I use DHCP with a manual address on my Mac and then I always know the IP to enter.

Maybe you need to upgrade to Parallels 10?

Col Legno

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
Not sure why you are experiencing these problems, but two ideas:

Use File Sharing instead of the Shared Folder. Use the GO menu in Snow Leopard Finder to Connect to Server... and enter your 10.8 Network IP (System Preferences:Network). I use DHCP with a manual address on my Mac and then I always know the IP to enter.

Maybe you need to upgrade to Parallels 10?

thanks michael, but not real helpful. Are you telling me that my experience is what one would expect from parallels 8; this is the sort of experience others have had? Or are you as puzzled over this as I am? Why would I need to go either of these routes? I don't imagine you know, but I am assuming my experience is far from the norm. yes? or is this more or less the norm, and hence the above suggestions?

Right now, I would have to say that 10.6 on parallels 8 on 10.8.5 is totally unworkable.

sincerely, col

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
thanks michael, but not real helpful. Are you telling me that my experience is what one would expect from parallels 8; this is the sort of experience others have had? Or are you as puzzled over this as I am? Why would I need to go either of these routes? I don't imagine you know, but I am assuming my experience is far from the norm. yes? or is this more or less the norm, and hence the above suggestions?

Right now, I would have to say that 10.6 on parallels 8 on 10.8.5 is totally unworkable.

sincerely, col

DID YOU TRY FILE SHARING?

When Lion was released in 2011, I was heavily invested in two PowerPC applications: Quicken Deluxe 2002 and Excel 2004. I used Quicken on almost a daily basis and I needed to revise a spreadsheet I had first built in 1993 on a weekly basis. The spreadsheet had become corrupted when I attempted to update it in Excel 2011, so, at least at that time, I needed to access it weekly in Excel 2004. Later an associate rebuilt that spreadsheet for me in Excel 2011 from the ground up and solved that problem. And then in March, 2012, Intuit released Quicken 2007 for Intel Macs, essentially eliminating my daily needs to access Rosetta to run PowerPC applications.

My continuing experience to do so was to help others, such as yourself, who need to buy more time with the absence of Rosetta before making their final decisions on how to deal in a future without Rosetta.

I do not think that Parallels 7 in 2011 had the Shared Folders folder; my recollection is that feature was added to Parallels 8. So in my initial use of Snow Leopard in Parallels 7, the only solution was to use File Sharing. Quicken has a separate data file that I also had to access from within the virtualized environment, yet I wanted to keep it on my native environment so that Time Machine would continue to update it automatically; just like your hope with Eudora.

Quite honestly, even with the introduction of the Shared Folders folder in Parallels 8, I continued with what I found worked best for me: File Sharing.

I am not an expert at Parallels and I use it very sparingly. Perhaps you need to contact Parallels about your experiences with the Shared Folder folder, if you are wedded to that solution. However, given that you use a version of Parallels two versions older than the current version, I am not sure how helpful they will be. They do have a user forum that has moderators (I was asked to become a moderator, but declined because I have a very narrow experience with Parallels).

I have no doubt that whatever initial problems were encountered with the Shared Folders folder in version 8, Parallels has spent quite a bit of research to update this feature in version 9 and then version 10.

When friends ask for my assistance on a Mac problem, quite often after I give them a solution, they inquire as to what was wrong with their original situation. I often tell them I have the time to explain the solution to the problem or just implement the solution to their problem, but not both!

My best advice is try File Sharing! I will bet dollars to doughnuts that it will solve the Shared Folders problem.

Col Legno

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
DID YOU TRY FILE SHARING?

When Lion was released in 2011, I was heavily invested in two PowerPC applications: Quicken Deluxe 2002 and Excel 2004. I used Quicken on almost a daily basis and I needed to revise a spreadsheet I had first built in 1993 on a weekly basis. The spreadsheet had become corrupted when I attempted to update it in Excel 2011, so, at least at that time, I needed to access it weekly in Excel 2004. Later an associate rebuilt that spreadsheet for me in Excel 2011 from the ground up and solved that problem. And then in March, 2012, Intuit released Quicken 2007 for Intel Macs, essentially eliminating my daily needs to access Rosetta to run PowerPC applications.

My continuing experience to do so was to help others, such as yourself, who need to buy more time with the absence of Rosetta before making their final decisions on how to deal in a future without Rosetta.

I do not think that Parallels 7 in 2011 had the Shared Folders folder; my recollection is that feature was added to Parallels 8. So in my initial use of Snow Leopard in Parallels 7, the only solution was to use File Sharing. Quicken has a separate data file that I also had to access from within the virtualized environment, yet I wanted to keep it on my native environment so that Time Machine would continue to update it automatically; just like your hope with Eudora.

Quite honestly, even with the introduction of the Shared Folders folder in Parallels 8, I continued with what I found worked best for me: File Sharing.

I am not an expert at Parallels and I use it very sparingly. Perhaps you need to contact Parallels about your experiences with the Shared Folder folder, if you are wedded to that solution. However, given that you use a version of Parallels two versions older than the current version, I am not sure how helpful they will be. They do have a user forum that has moderators (I was asked to become a moderator, but declined because I have a very narrow experience with Parallels).

I have no doubt that whatever initial problems were encountered with the Shared Folders folder in version 8, Parallels has spent quite a bit of research to update this feature in version 9 and then version 10.

When friends ask for my assistance on a Mac problem, quite often after I give them a solution, they inquire as to what was wrong with their original situation. I often tell them I have the time to explain the solution to the problem or just implement the solution to their problem, but not both!

My best advice is try File Sharing! I will bet dollars to doughnuts that it will solve the Shared Folders problem.

Hello Michael, thank you for your very considered reply, especially so as I seemed to turn you off by my statement "not helpful"; perhaps I was rash, for which I apologize.

I have thus far had a very unsatisfactory experience with Parallels 8 on 10.8.5. Perhaps you and others have had better experiences. I was hoping that you or others might have elaborated on their experiences.

Based on your recommendation I went out and bought the Server version of 10.6 and did all the installations.

I bought Parallels 8, as from what I had read in this thread I had thought that would work and it was not very expensive.

I will give file sharing a shot and report back.

It may well be that you or others who have used parallels 9 or 10 on 10.8.5 with 10.6.8 server have had more satisfactory experience than I have had with parallels 8. If that is the case I would like to hear about your or their experiences; if they are positive, then I am motivated to go out and buy a more recent version of parallels.

In any event I thank you for your further suggestions and apologize again for intemperate language. You have done quite a service on this thread.

col

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Your apology is accepted.

To summarize my posts, I have been using Lion with Parallels 7 then 8. I upgraded first to 9 and then 10 to help others who had problems with those versions.

I have always used File Sharing instead of the Sharing Folder. I prefer it that way and File Sharing was easy to setup and use.

It is interesting that you have now responded twice without even trying File Sharing...

Good luck!

Last edited:

Col Legno

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
Hello again Michael, thank you for accepting my apology. I must apologize again. I have been very much distracted by a demanding mistress, my work. But I will give file sharing a shot and report. I just can't say how soon. Sincerely Colonel Legno.

rumoursofrain

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
It works – Parallels and SL Server, thanks MichaelLAX

After a struggle I got everything working and have Office 2004 up and running here in Botswana, Africa! Thanks very much MicheaelLAX.:rolleyes: Now my contribution...

I got SL Server off eBay (at a hefty price) as no way would Apple store would ship outside US. Sellers wouldn't send here so sent to my brother in England – expensive. So rather than risk a shipping loss (DHL 'lost' my iPhone replacement being shipped here!!) my brother made a .dmg disc image 7.3Gb! and I got it via ftp with a bit of sweat due to breakages - use FileZilla (free) if you want to do this as it resumes if there's a break.

Meanwhile I'd bought Parallels 10. On trying to install from the .dmg file I got a spinning 'circle of death'. (I checked out the .dmg by burning a DVD and setting up install on on an older machine running SL and it was fine.) So I sent a support request to Parallels and after a long while (on Logmein123 and phone call from them - great service) they worked out that there was a problem and asked me to try and install from the DVD I'd made! And bingo, all was fine, installed! They said an .iso file would also (may?) have worked. So don't try and install from a .dmg for now.

Apple :apple:, I love you to bits since 1988 (Mac SE), but why did you make all this so difficult? :confused: You should be giving SL Server away by now for all of us who NEED to run Rosetta-based (or is it Carbon?) old applications to retrieve old files, if nothing else. Instead you need to be in the US, and know who to call – wow, that's dark ages stuff, who you know and all that.

Now, where are those Pagemaker files again? :) Running 10.9 btw.

Oh no, everything crashed and I've had to start over!!! Installed Parallels 10 and Snow Leopard no problem. Now I couldnt't read any files from the 'mother' drive. So I installed Parallel Tools and now I'm being asked for a password and name – which I've never set. So I installed another Snow Leopard VM and I can't install the MS Office dmg although my VM sees it - Devices>CD/DVD1>Configure, click on 'Open' but nothing happens. On dead deadline away fro home now so going nuts! Hope you can help MichaelLAX or anyone.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I just read your post and given your time crunch, are you available to "chat?"

I can use iChat as MichaelLAX.

UPDATE: I must go offline now for a few hours; let me know your schedule. It is now 17:17pm here in Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Headrush69

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2007
After upgrading to Parallels 11, my 10.6 virtual system stopped working with the following message: "An invalid Mac OS version is installed"

I checked that the ServerVersion.plist file was intact and it was.

To fix the problem I had to add vm.bios.efi=0 into the Boot Flags section of Advanced Settings in the Boot Order Settings screen.

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
You are the 2nd post I have read of this potential problem. The other is on the Apple Support Forums.

I have not upgraded to version 11 yet, but I cannot imagine that Parallels would drop this capability and if so, without much notice!

Have you contacted their technical support and/or posted on their support forum?

Headrush69

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2007
You are the 2nd post I have read of this potential problem. The other is on the Apple Support Forums.

I have not upgraded to version 11 yet, but I cannot imagine that Parallels would drop this capability and if so, without much notice!

Have you contacted their technical support and/or posted on their support forum?
It doesn't look like anything was dropped, maybe just changed.
I think it was the Parallels forums where I found that solution.

Edit: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122932

Obviously we are talking SL client and not server, and I never saw those messages, but the solution solved the issue.

thredpro

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
Colorado
BIG NEWS UPDATE: Apple is now selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping costs at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only). Here is virtualized SLS in action! Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels is a much simpler process and recommended to all who have access to purchasing SLS (apparently USA & Canada, Australia and some European countries for now).

Full installation instructions for Snow Leopard Server into Parallels 10 are here

This thread remains for historical perspective and for those who cannot gain access to purchasing Snow Leopard Server (although try real hard - have a friend in the USA or Canada purchase it for you and ship it to you).

Someone actually went to the bother of posting a YouTube instructional video of this process

Preliminary Notes:

A. This post #1 is being constantly updated to reflect users comments. It is self-contained, in that you do not need to read the remainder of this thread to properly accomplish the Snow Leopard install; however, I do suggest that you read post #3: Cautionary Notes and Troubleshooting Steps.

B. These instructions were originally written for use with Parallels 7 in Snow Leopard or Lion.

C. UPDATE FOR MOUNTAIN LION: Two users have contributed this modified STEP ONE for use in Mountain Lion and multiple users have confirmed it works - Thank you! Mountain Lion requires Parallels 7 Build 7.0.15106 or Parallels 8.

D. Parallels 8: These instructions will work for Parallels 8. In STEP THREE #1: Parallels Tools is built into the main program in Parallels 8, so there is no need to install any ISO file as a CD/DVD, as instructed. Instead use: "Update Parallels Tools" from the Virtual Machine menu.​

What is needed:

• Installation of Parallels 7 in your Lion computer - I will expect this step has already been completed.

• A fresh copy of the Snow Leopard Installation DVD (and not a machine specific, nor restore disk that may have come with your computer).

• Use of the programs Disk Utility and Terminal, both of which are in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and Text Edit from the Applications folder and Terminal from the /Applications/Utilities/ folder within Snow Leopard once it is installed.

Step One - Preparing the Snow Leopard Installation DVD

1. Insert a fresh Snow Leopard Installation DVD into your drive and launch Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/). Since the release of Mountain Lion, you can obtain this DVD for $19.99 from the Apple Store or call their telesales agents [1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753)] or Customer Service and Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 or 1-800-275-2273 (ask for a Sales Representative). Do not use a grey, machine-specific Install DVD: see the attached photos.

2. Select the device for your optical drive (note that this is NOT the Mac OS X Installation disk, but rather the device that has mounted it; in this example the device is named "SuperDrive”). BE VERY CAREFUL HERE!

[See Disk Utility Image attached below; click on any image to enlarge.]

3. From Disk Utility’s File menu, choose “New > Disk Image from [device]” from the File menu, set the image format to “DVD/CD master” and Encryption to none and create the disk image on your Desktop. When the creation of the disk image file is complete, quit Disk Utility and eject the Snow Leopard Install DVD from your drive.

4. Mount the new disk image by double-clicking the file. You will now have two separate items on your Desktop: the image file and the container named Mac OS X Install DVD.

5. Launch Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/); cut and paste or carefully type the following command into Terminal and then hit Return/Enter:

touch '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist'

6. Quit Terminal

Step Two - Installing Snow Leopard into Parallels 7 in Lion

1. Launch Parallels 7 from your Applications Folder

2. From the File menu go to New… and enter your account password when requested.

3. From the New Virtual Machine window select Install Windows or another OS from DVD or image file and click Continue:

[See Install Windows image attached below]

4. In New Installation, in the Install From box, select Choose an Image File… then find, select and open the Snow Leopard image file (for example SuperDrive.cdr) created in Step One above, and then click Continue.

5. If Automatic Detection fails, in the next window select Mac OS X and click OK.

6. The default name will be Mac OS X. I like to make it more descriptive by naming it Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Also check the box at the bottom - Customize Setting Before Installation (you can leave the box Share WIth Others Users of This Mac unchecked) and click Continue.

7. At the Virtual Machine Configuration window, click Hardware, then Boot Order and check Select Boot Device on Startup, close the Hardware window (click the red button) and then click Continue.

8. OS X Snow Leopard will now start to be installed into the Parallels Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file located at ~/Documents/Parallels/. As with all Snow Leopard installations, the following selections need to be made, as they come up:

a. Use English for the main language (click on the right arrow).

b. Install Mac OS X (click on Continue).

c. Agree to the terms of the software licensing agreement by clicking Agree.

d. Select the disk where you want to install Snow Leopard by clicking on the Macintosh HD, but DO NOT YET CLICK ON INSTALL
9. In the Utilities Menu to the right of the Mac OS X Installer Menu (at the top of the Snow Leopard installation screen), Launch Terminal; see attached image below.

10. Type the following command (including the quotation marks) in Terminal and then click RETURN/ENTER:

mkdir -p '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/'

11. Now type this command (including quotation marks) in Terminal and hit RETURN/ENTER:

touch '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist'

12. Quit Terminal and go back to the installation of Snow Leopard; BUT FIRST: Click Customize and select Rosetta and optionally Quicktime 7 and all printer drivers. Click on OK.

13. Click on Install and the process will take upwards to 30 minutes or more as Snow Leopard is installed into Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm.

14. As it initiates Snow Leopard be sure to remember the Account Name and Password you establish.

15. Upon completion the installation process will reboot and you will now have a Snow Leopard Parallels window -- Cancel ANY attempt by Software Update at this time. I recommend the following optional settings in the Snow Leopard environment:

a. Go to Preferences in the Finder menu and make sure that Hard Disks and Connected Servers are selected.

b. Launch System Preferences and go to Date/Time and then Clock and select show seconds.​

16. Shut down Snow Leopard. In Lion go to ~/Documents/Parallels/ and make an Alias of the file Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm and place the Alias on your desktop to easily double click to launch Snow Leopard. Optionally make a duplicate copy of the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file (Command-D) for protection.

Step Three - Updating the Snow Leopard Parallels environment

1. Installing Parallels Tools

a. Double click the Snow Leopard Alias to start Parallels, but do not click to start Snow Leopard.

b. In the Parallels menu - Virtual Machine, go down to Configure… Select Hardware and select CD/DVD1. In the Connect to - box go down to Choose an Image File. Migrate the Open window to /Macintosh HD/Library/Parallels/Tools/ and select the file: prl-tools-mac.iso. Click the red button to close this window and Click Snow Leopard to start.

c. Open the Parallel Tools icon on the Desktop and double click Install and follow the installation instructions. When complete, quit the Installer, eject Parallel Tools and Restart Snow Leopard.
2. Preparation for updating Snow Leopard

a. Open TextEdit in Snow Leopard. NOTE: The first time you open TextEdit in the Snow Leopard Parallels environment, go to the TextEdit Menu, down to Preferences and under Format, instead of the default Rich Text, click Plain Text; then close the Preferences window.

b. Copy the following xml code into a blank open document in TextEdit (NOTE: if you open Safari in Snow Leopard and type in the following URL -- https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14799174 -- you can then easily copy and paste the following xml text into TextEdit):​

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.rectalogic.vmware</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
            <string>/bin/bash</string>
            <string>-c</string>
            <string>/bin/rm -f /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist; trap "/usr/bin/touch /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist; exit" SIGINT SIGTERM SIGHUP; sleep 999999 & wait $!</string>
    </array>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <true/>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

NOTE: the 12th line in the middle of the text above to be entered into Text Edit, runs off the screen here on MacRumors. BE SURE to get the complete line; either copy and paste the whole text or be sure you are properly entering this COMPLETE line:

<string>/bin/rm -f /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist; trap "/usr/bin/touch /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist; exit" SIGINT SIGTERM SIGHUP; sleep 999999 & wait $!</string>​

c. Go to Save As in the File Menu of TextEdit.
(1) Enter the file name: "com.rectalogic.vmware.plist" (without the quotation marks) in the Save As box (delete: ".txt"). You will see the correct default - Plain Text Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)

[If you do NOT see "the correct default - Plain Text Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)" when you try to Save As, it is probably because, when you pasted in the code, it pasted as Rich Text. You can fix this easily by going to Format > Make Plain Text, after which the UTF-8 option (and .txt option) will be available.];​
(2) Uncheck the box "If no extension is provided, use '.txt'." and save it to the Desktop. If it asks which extension, choose .plist.

(3) Quit TextEdit.

(4) Go to the Desktop and move the file to /Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/ and when it asks - click Authenticate and then enter your Snow Leopards account password.​

d. Open Terminal in Snow Leopard from /Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/. Enter the following text in Terminal and then hit RETURN/ENTER:​

sudo chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist

e. It will ask you for your Snow Leopard account password; enter it (nothing will appear on screen as you type the password) and hit RETURN/ENTER.

f. Enter the following text in Terminal and then hit RETURN/ENTER:​

sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist

g. Quit Terminal​

3. Updating Snow Leopard and other software updates

a. In the Apple Menu in Snow Leopard go to Software Updates...

b. After it Checks for New Software, it will tell you updates are available:
(1) Click the Show Details button.

(2) My advice is that at this time (May, 2012) all updates should be accepted except for the Apple Software Installation Update 1.0 (which has had some problems and probably only fixes installation problems of software that you would preferably be installing into Lion anyway).

(3) You will most likely have to restart after the Software Installation and there may be additional software updates that will appear after a restart.

(4) Repeat this process until all recommended updates are complete.​
c. In System Preferences, go to Sharing and turn on File Sharing. NOTE: you may have to turn on printer sharing in your Lion environment to access your printers in Snow Leopard.​

4. Congratulations: you now have a completely functional Snow Leopard environment in Parallels 7 operating in Lion!

Step Four - Backup your Snow Leopard Parallels file

1. Shut Down Snow Leopard.

2. Make a backup of the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file. If you decide to do further backups of this file as you make changes within Snow Leopard, BE SURE to keep this original backup separately, so that you can always go back to this initial state.

END OF INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

NOTE: I never save important files in a virtualized environment; even in Windows XP. I use the Shared Folder or File Sharing to access all of my important files from my Macintosh HD and/or my many external HDs connect to my Mac and all saved files are also saved there.

Thank you to all of the Internet sources that contributed to this solution.

thredpro

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
Colorado
Hello. This is GREAT and believe me I appreciate all the hard work you've done to compile all of this in a step by step process because I've done similar work BUT..... when I got to this part:
---------------------------------------
d. Open Terminal in Snow Leopard from /Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/. Enter the following text in Terminal and then hit RETURN/ENTER:

e. It will ask you for your Snow Leopard account password; enter it (nothing will appear on screen as you type the password) and hit RETURN/ENTER.

f. Enter the following text in Terminal and then hit RETURN/ENTER:

g. Quit Terminal

I followed it all VERY carefully, now keep in mind I already have my Snow Leopard up and running and have a backup of the virtual machine saved.

After the "sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist" command was entered and I hit return as instructed I got this:

Last login: Tue Sep 15 12:27:06 on ttys000
Mac-Users-Mac-Pro:~ macuser$ sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist
launchctl: no plist was returned for: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist
launchctl: no plist was returned for: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist
nothing found to load
Mac-Users-Mac-Pro:~ macuser$

Of course I went right to /Library/LaunchDaemons/ and the "com.rectalogic.vmware.plist" IS there, the one created with the above instructions and it IS a Plain Text Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) file.

Soooooo I thought, well I'll try the software update and it says my software is all up to date??? My Genuine Apple Snow Leopard installer that I purchased from Apple a few years ago is 10.6.3 I'm trying to get up to 10.6.8!!!

Sooooo I downloaded the 10.6.8 server updater directly in the VM environment and tried to install the update BUT now I get this error: "Mac OS X Server Update Combined can't be installed on this disk. An error occured while evaluating JavaScript for the package" ??? JavaScript Oh Noooooooo!!!!

So then I spent about 9 hours on https://java.com/en/download/ TRYING to figure out the correct version to re-install Java for OS X 10.6.3. There are about 25,000 different downloads on that site (probably more). I can't find Java SE6 (The version the Java Preferences panel says I have) anywhere on the net. Apples website only has one that says you have to have Lion to install it.

Any ideas how I can upgrade to 10.6.8? (I tried re-installing the OS from that original VM Environment - boy was THAT a mistake, had to re-load my backup copy)

Thanx for any help you can give me, I need to have 10.6.8 up and running on this VM ASAP.

Tom

fatmousemacs

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
Sydney AU
Hello. This is GREAT and believe me I appreciate all the hard work you've done to compile all of this in a step by step process because I've done similar work BUT..... when I got to this part:
d. Open Terminal in Snow Leopard from /Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/. Enter the following text in Terminal and then hit RETURN/ENTER:

f. Enter the following text in Terminal and then hit RETURN/ENTER:

g. Quit Terminal

I followed it all VERY carefully, now keep in mind I already have my Snow Leopard up and running and have a backup of the virtual machine saved.

After the "sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist" command was entered and I hit return as instructed I got this:

Mac-Users-Mac-Pro:~ macuser$ sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist
nothing found to load

Of course I went right to /Library/LaunchDaemons/ and the "com.rectalogic.vmware.plist" IS there, the one created with the above instructions and it IS a Plain Text Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) file.

Soooooo I thought, well I'll try the software update and it says my software is all up to date??? My Genuine Apple Snow Leopard installer that I purchased from Apple a few years ago is 10.6.3 I'm trying to get up to 10.6.8!!!

Sooooo I downloaded the 10.6.8 server updater directly in the VM environment and tried to install the update BUT now I get this error: "Mac OS X Server Update Combined can't be installed on this disk. An error occured while evaluating JavaScript for the package" ??? JavaScript Oh Noooooooo!!!!

So then I spent about 9 hours on https://java.com/en/download/ TRYING to figure out the correct version to re-install Java for OS X 10.6.3. There are about 25,000 different downloads on that site (probably more). I can't find Java SE6 (The version the Java Preferences panel says I have) anywhere on the net. Apples website only has one that says you have to have Lion to install it.

Any ideas how I can upgrade to 10.6.8? (I tried re-installing the OS from that original VM Environment - boy was THAT a mistake, had to re-load my backup copy)

Thanx for any help you can give me, I need to have 10.6.8 up and running on this VM ASAP.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I got to the same point as you and was unable to update SL 10.6.3 to 10.6.8. I'm using VMWare Fusion 5 instead of Parallels but I don't think that matters.
My work around was this:
  1. Copy the ServerVersion.plist (Macintosh HD/Server/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist) onto the Desktop.
  2. Delete the original ServerVersion.plist file.
  3. Run "Software Update..." and let it download all the update files BUT DO NOT DO A RESTART when you are asked. Your Mac will not reboot if you do and will have to revert to a backup.
  4. Copy the ServerVersion.plist back to the original location. (Authentication required).
  5. Restart your Mac.
  6. Manually update your OS by using the files downloaded to the following directory: Macintosh HD/Library/Updates. In the Updates folder there will be a number of subfolders depending on the updates. One of them will have the Mac OSX Update Combo 10.6.8 as 12 parts (MacOSXCombo10.6.8Part0.pkg etc.). There will also be a 031-13071.English.dist file. You will not be able to run the .dist file and don't bother about it.
  7. Manually install the MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.Part0.pkg first BUT DO NOT DO THE RESTART at the end of the install when asked. Move the window to one side and run all the other .pkg files in the same folder.
  8. When you have finished all the 10.6.8 files you can then do the Restart. There will be other .pkg installers such as iTunes 10, Rosetta, QuickTime 7 in the other folders. You will get an error if you try and install some of them while the OS is still 10.6.3. Do the restart to get 10.6.8 loaded then you can go back and install iTunes.
I did this over a few days and am relying on memory for steps 3 to 5 but I think it should work for you.
Don't forget to run a Repair Permission at the end of all the updates using Disk Utility.
Good Luck

Also many thanks to MichaelLAX who started all this.
David

SeasonBeats

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2015
BIG NEWS UPDATE: Apple is now selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping costs at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only). Here is virtualized SLS in action! Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels is a much simpler process and recommended to all who have access to purchasing SLS (apparently USA & Canada, Australia and some European countries for now).

Full installation instructions for Snow Leopard Server into Parallels 10 are here

This thread remains for historical perspective and for those who cannot gain access to purchasing Snow Leopard Server (although try real hard - have a friend in the USA or Canada purchase it for you and ship it to you).

Someone actually went to the bother of posting a YouTube instructional video of this process

Preliminary Notes:

A. This post #1 is being constantly updated to reflect users comments. It is self-contained, in that you do not need to read the remainder of this thread to properly accomplish the Snow Leopard install; however, I do suggest that you read post #3: Cautionary Notes and Troubleshooting Steps.

B. These instructions were originally written for use with Parallels 7 in Snow Leopard or Lion.

C. UPDATE FOR MOUNTAIN LION: Two users have contributed this modified STEP ONE for use in Mountain Lion and multiple users have confirmed it works - Thank you! Mountain Lion requires Parallels 7 Build 7.0.15106 or Parallels 8.

D. Parallels 8: These instructions will work for Parallels 8. In STEP THREE #1: Parallels Tools is built into the main program in Parallels 8, so there is no need to install any ISO file as a CD/DVD, as instructed. Instead use: "Update Parallels Tools" from the Virtual Machine menu.​

What is needed:

• Installation of Parallels 7 in your Lion computer - I will expect this step has already been completed.

• A fresh copy of the Snow Leopard Installation DVD (and not a machine specific, nor restore disk that may have come with your computer).

• Use of the programs Disk Utility and Terminal, both of which are in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and Text Edit from the Applications folder and Terminal from the /Applications/Utilities/ folder within Snow Leopard once it is installed.

Step One - Preparing the Snow Leopard Installation DVD

1. Insert a fresh Snow Leopard Installation DVD into your drive and launch Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/). Since the release of Mountain Lion, you can obtain this DVD for $19.99 from the Apple Store or call their telesales agents [1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753)] or Customer Service and Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 or 1-800-275-2273 (ask for a Sales Representative). Do not use a grey, machine-specific Install DVD: see the attached photos.

2. Select the device for your optical drive (note that this is NOT the Mac OS X Installation disk, but rather the device that has mounted it; in this example the device is named "SuperDrive”). BE VERY CAREFUL HERE!

[See Disk Utility Image attached below; click on any image to enlarge.]

3. From Disk Utility’s File menu, choose “New > Disk Image from [device]” from the File menu, set the image format to “DVD/CD master” and Encryption to none and create the disk image on your Desktop. When the creation of the disk image file is complete, quit Disk Utility and eject the Snow Leopard Install DVD from your drive.

4. Mount the new disk image by double-clicking the file. You will now have two separate items on your Desktop: the image file and the container named Mac OS X Install DVD.

5. Launch Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/); cut and paste or carefully type the following command into Terminal and then hit Return/Enter:

touch '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist'

6. Quit Terminal

Step Two - Installing Snow Leopard into Parallels 7 in Lion

1. Launch Parallels 7 from your Applications Folder

2. From the File menu go to New… and enter your account password when requested.

3. From the New Virtual Machine window select Install Windows or another OS from DVD or image file and click Continue:

[See Install Windows image attached below]

4. In New Installation, in the Install From box, select Choose an Image File… then find, select and open the Snow Leopard image file (for example SuperDrive.cdr) created in Step One above, and then click Continue.

5. If Automatic Detection fails, in the next window select Mac OS X and click OK.

6. The default name will be Mac OS X. I like to make it more descriptive by naming it Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Also check the box at the bottom - Customize Setting Before Installation (you can leave the box Share WIth Others Users of This Mac unchecked) and click Continue.

7. At the Virtual Machine Configuration window, click Hardware, then Boot Order and check Select Boot Device on Startup, close the Hardware window (click the red button) and then click Continue.

8. OS X Snow Leopard will now start to be installed into the Parallels Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file located at ~/Documents/Parallels/. As with all Snow Leopard installations, the following selections need to be made, as they come up:

a. Use English for the main language (click on the right arrow).

b. Install Mac OS X (click on Continue).

c. Agree to the terms of the software licensing agreement by clicking Agree.

d. Select the disk where you want to install Snow Leopard by clicking on the Macintosh HD, but DO NOT YET CLICK ON INSTALL
9. In the Utilities Menu to the right of the Mac OS X Installer Menu (at the top of the Snow Leopard installation screen), Launch Terminal; see attached image below.

10. Type the following command (including the quotation marks) in Terminal and then click RETURN/ENTER:

mkdir -p '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/'

11. Now type this command (including quotation marks) in Terminal and hit RETURN/ENTER:

touch '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist'

12. Quit Terminal and go back to the installation of Snow Leopard; BUT FIRST: Click Customize and select Rosetta and optionally Quicktime 7 and all printer drivers. Click on OK.

13. Click on Install and the process will take upwards to 30 minutes or more as Snow Leopard is installed into Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm.

14. As it initiates Snow Leopard be sure to remember the Account Name and Password you establish.

15. Upon completion the installation process will reboot and you will now have a Snow Leopard Parallels window -- Cancel ANY attempt by Software Update at this time. I recommend the following optional settings in the Snow Leopard environment:

a. Go to Preferences in the Finder menu and make sure that Hard Disks and Connected Servers are selected.

b. Launch System Preferences and go to Date/Time and then Clock and select show seconds.​

16. Shut down Snow Leopard. In Lion go to ~/Documents/Parallels/ and make an Alias of the file Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm and place the Alias on your desktop to easily double click to launch Snow Leopard. Optionally make a duplicate copy of the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file (Command-D) for protection.

Step Three - Updating the Snow Leopard Parallels environment

1. Installing Parallels Tools

a. Double click the Snow Leopard Alias to start Parallels, but do not click to start Snow Leopard.

b. In the Parallels menu - Virtual Machine, go down to Configure… Select Hardware and select CD/DVD1. In the Connect to - box go down to Choose an Image File. Migrate the Open window to /Macintosh HD/Library/Parallels/Tools/ and select the file: prl-tools-mac.iso. Click the red button to close this window and Click Snow Leopard to start.

c. Open the Parallel Tools icon on the Desktop and double click Install and follow the installation instructions. When complete, quit the Installer, eject Parallel Tools and Restart Snow Leopard.
2. Preparation for updating Snow Leopard

a. Open TextEdit in Snow Leopard. NOTE: The first time you open TextEdit in the Snow Leopard Parallels environment, go to the TextEdit Menu, down to Preferences and under Format, instead of the default Rich Text, click Plain Text; then close the Preferences window.

b. Copy the following xml code into a blank open document in TextEdit (NOTE: if you open Safari in Snow Leopard and type in the following URL -- https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14799174 -- you can then easily copy and paste the following xml text into TextEdit):​

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.rectalogic.vmware</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
            <string>/bin/bash</string>
            <string>-c</string>
            <string>/bin/rm -f /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist; trap "/usr/bin/touch /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist; exit" SIGINT SIGTERM SIGHUP; sleep 999999 & wait $!</string>
    </array>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <true/>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

NOTE: the 12th line in the middle of the text above to be entered into Text Edit, runs off the screen here on MacRumors. BE SURE to get the complete line; either copy and paste the whole text or be sure you are properly entering this COMPLETE line:

<string>/bin/rm -f /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist; trap "/usr/bin/touch /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist; exit" SIGINT SIGTERM SIGHUP; sleep 999999 & wait $!</string>​

c. Go to Save As in the File Menu of TextEdit.
(1) Enter the file name: "com.rectalogic.vmware.plist" (without the quotation marks) in the Save As box (delete: ".txt"). You will see the correct default - Plain Text Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)

[If you do NOT see "the correct default - Plain Text Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)" when you try to Save As, it is probably because, when you pasted in the code, it pasted as Rich Text. You can fix this easily by going to Format > Make Plain Text, after which the UTF-8 option (and .txt option) will be available.];​
(2) Uncheck the box "If no extension is provided, use '.txt'." and save it to the Desktop. If it asks which extension, choose .plist.

(3) Quit TextEdit.

(4) Go to the Desktop and move the file to /Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/ and when it asks - click Authenticate and then enter your Snow Leopards account password.​

d. Open Terminal in Snow Leopard from /Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/. Enter the following text in Terminal and then hit RETURN/ENTER:​

f. Enter the following text in Terminal and then hit RETURN/ENTER:​

g. Quit Terminal​

3. Updating Snow Leopard and other software updates

a. In the Apple Menu in Snow Leopard go to Software Updates...

b. After it Checks for New Software, it will tell you updates are available:
(1) Click the Show Details button.

(2) My advice is that at this time (May, 2012) all updates should be accepted except for the Apple Software Installation Update 1.0 (which has had some problems and probably only fixes installation problems of software that you would preferably be installing into Lion anyway).

(3) You will most likely have to restart after the Software Installation and there may be additional software updates that will appear after a restart.

(4) Repeat this process until all recommended updates are complete.​
c. In System Preferences, go to Sharing and turn on File Sharing. NOTE: you may have to turn on printer sharing in your Lion environment to access your printers in Snow Leopard.​

4. Congratulations: you now have a completely functional Snow Leopard environment in Parallels 7 operating in Lion!

Step Four - Backup your Snow Leopard Parallels file

1. Shut Down Snow Leopard.

2. Make a backup of the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file. If you decide to do further backups of this file as you make changes within Snow Leopard, BE SURE to keep this original backup separately, so that you can always go back to this initial state.

END OF INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

NOTE: I never save important files in a virtualized environment; even in Windows XP. I use the Shared Folder or File Sharing to access all of my important files from my Macintosh HD and/or my many external HDs connect to my Mac and all saved files are also saved there.

Thank you to all of the Internet sources that contributed to this solution.

Is it possible to install Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard Server, install Rosetta, install my programs that are dependant on Rosetta, Time Machine my installation, then be able to place the working files on my standard installation through Time Machine?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is it possible to install Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard Server, install Rosetta, install my programs that are dependant on Rosetta, Time Machine my installation, then be able to place the working files on my standard installation through Time Machine?
No. You'd need to use everything in the virtual environment unless your real OS is still Snow Leopard, but then you wouldn't need a virtual machine in the first place.

SeasonBeats

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2015
No. You'd need to use everything in the virtual environment unless your real OS is still Snow Leopard, but then you wouldn't need a virtual machine in the first place.

I wish I could install Snow Leopard on my Mac then upgrade to Mavericks but due to Apple, my late 2012 Mac Mini is incapable of it. I just need Rosetta so I can install two programs. Roland Edirol Orchestral and Steinberg Hypersonic 2. Too bad Crossover is incapable of doing this.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana

nothing found to load

I had the same issue. Not sure, why there are this few that do.

I did some research and found that the plutil command can scan a plist file for syntactical errors, of which "no plist was returned for" is an indication.

plutil -lint /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist

returns

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist: Encountered unknown ampersand-escape sequence at line 12

I am wondering, what is wrong with the character encoding that might cause this.

Just now, I used TextWrangler on my El Capitan system, instead of TextEdit, to generate the file and then ran plutil -lint on it. Same report.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I had the same issue. Not sure, why there are this few that do.

I did some research and found that the plutil command can scan a plist file for syntactical errors, of which "no plist was returned for" is an indication.

plutil -lint /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist

returns

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rectalogic.vmware.plist: Encountered unknown ampersand-escape sequence at line 12

I am wondering, what is wrong with the character encoding that might cause this.
You need to change the "&" in line 12 to
Code:
&amp;

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.