Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
My dad needs to get a new laptop (under $800) and he has sent me out to do some research for him. I was thinking dell or HP. I like the dell line, but I cant deside. I could get him a real cheap one with a ntel® Celeron® M for $619. But I have an oversion to "outdated" technology and I want to suggest a Inspiron E1405 with Intel® Core™ Solo 1.66GHz for $749. Is ti really worth $150 more?? It'll be used for basic computing. nothing special.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
My dad needs to get a new laptop (under $800) and he has sent me out to do some research for him. I was thinking dell or HP. I like the dell line, but I cant deside. I could get him a real cheap one with a ntel® Celeron® M for $619. But I have an oversion to "outdated" technology and I want to suggest a Inspiron E1405 with Intel® Core™ Solo 1.66GHz for $749. Is ti really worth $150 more?? It'll be used for basic computing. nothing special.

I you have an aversion to outdated technology, why don't you get him to buy a MacBook? It will safe you many many hours of giving free tech support, so it's definitely worth the money ($1199 with 1 GB of RAM).

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
gnasher729 said:
I you have an aversion to outdated technology, why don't you get him to buy a MacBook? It will safe you many many hours of giving free tech support, so it's definitely worth the money ($1199 with 1 GB of RAM).
My mom has a hard enough time using WIndows the way it is. To switch OS on here would set her back YEARS. I'm getting a Macbook next year :)

PS: I shoul dhave clearified, my dad is buying the computer for my mom.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
A MacBook can run Windows completely natively. The only thing you'll have to teach your mom will be to hold "option" after she presses the power button.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
I know everyone is trying to push the 'Mac' sale on this guy...but let's be honest with each other...

...a laptop under 800 bucks = Dell. It's that simple.

And no, if you're just using the computer for "basic" computer needs, than the Celeron will be more than sufficient. Don't expect the computer to run Windows Vista, however - and don't expect the computer to last for more than maybe 2-3 years, at best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.