Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Is Nikon big enough to survive, Canon and Sony have massive divisions that can carry it through ups and downs.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Here's an interesting tidbit.

According to the innosight report, the average lifespan for a company that is in the S&P 500 index has a typical lifespan of 33 years. In 2027, that lifespan will be reduced to only 12 years. In fact, the lifespan of any company in the S&P 500 has been steadily declining for the past decades. This is the contracting forces at work and had been for decades, but the speed of which this force is acting upon is getting faster and faster and more vicious in this decade. New disruptive technology had a lot to do with the reduction of lifespan and yet with the Japanese, it is somewhat immune to this contracting forces because governments had been willing to support zombie companies rather than, like the Western companies, let it die and let the new disruptive forces to take over its place.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Is Nikon big enough to survive, Canon and Sony have massive divisions that can carry it through ups and downs.

Yes. They have much more going on than just consumer camera equipment.
[automerge]1573961829[/automerge]
Here's an interesting tidbit.

According to the innosight report, the average lifespan for a company that is in the S&P 500 index has a typical lifespan of 33 years. In 2027, that lifespan will be reduced to only 12 years. In fact, the lifespan of any company in the S&P 500 has been steadily declining for the past decades. This is the contracting forces at work and had been for decades, but the speed of which this force is acting upon is getting faster and faster and more vicious in this decade. New disruptive technology had a lot to do with the reduction of lifespan and yet with the Japanese, it is somewhat immune to this contracting forces because governments had been willing to support zombie companies rather than, like the Western companies, let it die and let the new disruptive forces to take over its place.

Is that company life span or life span on the index?
Can you post a link to the article.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If Nikon can't survive, I would think "the name" is "sellable" along with the technology.
Wondering who might be interested?
And what they would do with the product line once they acquired it?

I read a few days' back that Olympus may be in serious trouble, as well.

Canon and Sony will survive.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If Nikon can't survive, I would think "the name" is "sellable" along with the technology.
Wondering who might be interested?
And what they would do with the product line once they acquired it?

I read a few days' back that Olympus may be in serious trouble, as well.

Canon and Sony will survive.
Olympus' problems were due more to issues at corporate and not really due to sales.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
After reading the article, I hope the takeaway for Nikon isn't to rush Z lenses to market that aren't good lenses. Or to skimp on quality control. That would kill the Z system and also negatively impact the brand.

Reactions: mollyc

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

They were late to the mirrorless party (especially the budget one) plus when you buy a Nikon, I would assume most people use it for years and years (I got my D3300 refurb and used 18-200 five years ago).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.