Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idec50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2019
TX
Around a dozen of my keys on my 2017 MBP stopped working earlier today. What is strange is that I created a new user account without customizations and they worked there. On my main account I stopped practically everything from running and the keys still did not work.

It seemed to be running slightly hot but this is true for both accounts. I turned it off and hours later it now works again in the main account. I have noticed that I haven't heard the fans increase in speed on this machine in quite some time, so I installed Macs Fan Control and set it up to more aggressively speed up the fans. But the fans are likely fine and unrelated.

Is it typical for this to be intermittent? Should I abandon ship? Not sure how I'll get a free repair if it's intermittent. I did record a video.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not sure how I'll get a free repair
Contact apple should be the first step, intermittent or not. Get the ball rolling, I'm not sure at this stage, they'll probably just look to replace the keyboard and move on to the next repair

thetechhimself

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2015
Around a dozen of my keys on my 2017 MBP stopped working earlier today. What is strange is that I created a new user account without customizations and they worked there. On my main account I stopped practically everything from running and the keys still did not work.

It seemed to be running slightly hot but this is true for both accounts. I turned it off and hours later it now works again in the main account. I have noticed that I haven't heard the fans increase in speed on this machine in quite some time, so I installed Macs Fan Control and set it up to more aggressively speed up the fans. But the fans are likely fine and unrelated.

Is it typical for this to be intermittent? Should I abandon ship? Not sure how I'll get a free repair if it's intermittent. I did record a video.

Hardware issue, not software. Apple will have to fix.

I've seen chicken noodle soup, coffee and alcoholic beverage spills create what you're describing. What is possible (but I have seen), is some kind of other overheat condition underneath the keyboard could cause this too. Either way, get it checked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.