Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
home studio

Hey!

I'm a scientist, but I've also been a successful musician, and I'm building (gradually) a home studio.

I use an imac and macbook pro for this (I've been using the laptop a lot more lately though, due to it's portability). I primarily use Ableton, Logic, and Garageband... as well as some ipad apps for jamming and writing :)

I use this setup with a variety of equipment... from a Korg Triton to a Kaoss pad to various outboard processors and recorders by Boss and Zoom and others... and some nice guitars and other instruments of course!

I play and write a variety of musical styles, and although I've played everything from funk to hip hop to death metal (and lots and lots of classical music), I mostly listening to and composing electronic music and metal. I'm especially fond of industrial, as well as death metal and black metal... but most of my compositions are electronic-esque with plenty of metal influences... but to me, it's just music! :)

Reactions: sniper_wolf

Aural_Phoenix

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi, AuralPhoenix here :) . Real name's Anshuman Puri, 33 yr old eclectic, maverick tadpole turned musician turned entrepreneur. I ventured out in April 2011 with AuralPhoenix Productions, essentially a home-recording-studio set-up and a nascent online presence for now. The dream is big, the will is strong... "to walk along a path that allows me to carve an identity in the global music industry."  The persual of a life doing music is what drives me really.
   I am a little over a year old to the "mac-cult", but an inspired one-year at that. I have fallen in love with Apple, not just for their products, but their philosophy.  Apple thinks, i think too... Apple thinks and makes excellent products, i think n i strive to make excellent music. 
Its personal, feels good to have tools of creativity built and designed by humans with exemplary perceptivity of aesthetic and form and function, and the creativity inside to make a product that does the job well n' does it looking slick n uber-kewl. 
It's indeed a charm to use a product ( and several "Apple-friendly-products" alongside ) that makes the transition of a fleeting-soon-forgotten/creative "idea" into a "captured" creative "piece of art" as seamless as possible.   No, really,  it's  a breeze. [ other than GarageBand hanging like a lame duck nowadays :( ... will post on that later tonite , Please Help ! ] 
My mac and it's "friends" do that for me, make my ideas n concepts n vibrant stray thoughts into something I can bring out professionally, What a gift !!! 
 I'm happy, my girl is happy, I'll make y'all happy someday soon with great music outta this AuralPhoenix Productions stable. Just stay tuned !!! 

Check out my website, auralphoenix.com. 
Few videos are up on YouTube, few songs on soundcloud, the like... 

Lemme tell ya, I started out buying an iphone3G before my MacBook Pro. Man, I loved it. Am typing this on that very iPhone, (love ya baby lol)  

Once I bounced the icon and took GarageBand for a spin, there was no turning back. 

Creativity Flowed !!! Zen !!! 

Got quite a lotta stuff recorded without knowing much about anything, just going by instinct and feel, for 6-8 months, consulted the Internet on how to do what I wanted to do an do it better.
Learnt about MIDI, and about home recording and all gyan permeated my head n' heart n' soul.  Read up n' taught myself, very much in the spirit of how I have taught myself the guitar and music and photography and indeed everything I do. I figured I'd need an Apogee Duet if I wanted 'slick' recordings. Bought one. Next I bought a condenser mic,  AT4040. I really wanted to sing 'well'. It really helps. 
Well, the gear was collected slowly, Senheiser monitoring headphones HD 380pro, Sony Bravia LCD screen, mAudio MIDI keyboard, learning along the way. 
My utmost thanks to all the good, kind folk here and on other forums online who offered great knowledge and insight into my artistic pursuit. I salute y'all and will always regard and thankfully remember you for your silent, unknown help to setting me on the path to fulfil my life's dream. 
Music has always been my thing, though i have dabbled professionally in photography, journalism, theatre and the graphic arts and scientific pursuit.
  I'm just starting this venture, Auralphoenix Productions to go about doing music seriously. 
Let's see where the wind blows n' takes me from here.

My girl got me LogicExpress y'day from an 'idea' of hers. 
Dunno if it'll 'work', will post on here. 
Am stepping up, upgrading, going pro Yipeee !!! lol, sorry polite Sirs :D

I am limited by financial constraints or would have had bought LogicStudio by now. In the next Six months maybe, unless Auralphoenix Productions makes me enough money before that. 
Auralphoenix Productions Compositions, Concerts, Craft ... that's the keyline. Hope it attracts good chi :) 

Have been reading these forums regularly, finally thought I'd 'register' n' formally introduce myself. Ya know, make a few friends n' share my music n' my dreams with. :)  

Am rather an eclectic soul, into mysticism n' magic n' delve into graphic design, photography, cymatics, poetry besides making life more holistic and organic. 

I play guitar,having self-taught myself for 15-odd years, have a compositional/songwriting skill I think is worth pursuing and perfecting.
 Am doing so :) thx everything mac :) 

Hope to learn more in my regular visits around here... 

See my Videos on YouTube at :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Z7cLCxBVg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

See it if y'all have a lil' spare time, see the other videos too. You can even look me up on soundcloud if you have the inclination and patience (and an open ear for music) : 

http://soundcloud.com/auralphoenix 

Please leave your comments, bouquets n' brickbats alike at both YouTube n' soundcloud and/or write to me personally  at : anshumanpuri@auralphoenix.com

I would like your opinion and criticism, of the constructive kind, helps me grow and mature as an artist and a human being :) 

Thx in advance

A P 

lorddean13

macrumors newbie
Moving to the San Fran area and need help.

I have been playing with iOS app developing and have worked with a few start ups here on the East Coast. In fact I started in 1999 and have decided to go to the left coast. The problem I am having is finding an area that is semi-urban. I use to live in Brooklyn NY, and then I moved to West Reading PA. I consider both areas semi-urban. Very walkable and very close to the nearest city. I have been looking on-line and can't get a grip as to where to go. I have looked at the east bay area and then the southern peninsula. It's just my wife and I and could use some help. School districts and safety are important but so is price. Any suggestions.

flipnotik

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
Home Recording/New Student

Hey everyone,

Just graduated with my bachelors in operational management, and now going back to school for a bachelors in computer engineering with a focus in music.

Mostly diving into the hip-hop scene, I've been using an iMac x alexis io26 interface x Logic for awhile through college for numerous small projects through college. And after making the parents happy with the business degree it is time to really get into what I feel is my passion. So I'm starting the AA program at the Art Institute for Audio Production, then hopefully moving on to San Diego State University for their Bachelors program.

A few pieces I've collected over the years are my 24" 2008 iMac, Alesis io26 interface, Rode nt2a, motif es8, akai mpc 1000, technics sl1210mk2 & rane ttm57sl, microkorg, various acoustic instruments. Looking to get into the mac pro field with the hopeful upcoming refresh, or just end up purchasing a used 12 core. Super excited to be part of this community.

-Alan

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Howdy, I'm Ben.

I make some songs occasionally, but not for any real reason other than enjoyment, and not in any particular style.

I've got a SoundCloud account if anyone wants to have a listen to them, or whatever. If you like them, send me a pm!

SoundCloud

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
More hardware based questions

Hey guys, I'm Tyler and I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple questions about hardware related issues. I'm just starting to get into hi-fi stereo and music and looking at the older components that my dad has. I mainly play music off my computer, using FLAC files and I use a logitech z3i 2.1 system from 2003 that I still love to this day! For headphones, I use Klipsch s4i and love those as well (great bass response). I am currently looking into buying a pair of Grado SR80i to "upgrade" my listening experience and I'm looking at purchasing a Topping TP30, that is a $130 DAC and headphone amp along with passive speaker outputs. I think this unit will do what I want perfectly, I wanted a DAC to take the duty off of the onboard sound card, but also be an amp so that I can plug in my headphones AND have the power to plug in passive speakers. Besides those to components, I'm thinking about buying a pair of Dayton B652 ($30) to replace the duty of the z3i system. What do you guys think? Am I making the right calls here? I might not get the speakers because I could get some of my dads old ones, but I really want to know if I should bother purchasing the Grado's if the sound on the S4i's will improve with the amp/dac?

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Hi, I am Richard and I live in Sydney. I was just about to start a thread in Audio and saw this stickied thread.

I only listen to music. With iTunes and iPods, the internet, emerging digital technology and an avalanche of new artists made possible by a revolution in home recording that has ended the major label's monopoly, i am, if you can excuse the expression, stoked.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank those people who have given me so much pleasure over the years. There must be tens of thousands of you making great music, judging by the CDs i find each week.

My set up is a pair of Adam A5 near field monitors, a Adam A8 sub, a Lavry Da-11 DAC, and Apple Lossless files into a Onkyo ND-s1 digital output iPod dock, which also feeds a coaxial signal to the DAC from the MBP's USB port. It sounds great, but one day I'd love to drop the price of a small car on a couple of Adam's more upmarket monitors and an obscenely priced DAC. I hold the view that one day DACs will be able to replicate the sound of vinyl. I really do miss the musical quality of it, but certainly not the lack of variety that accompanied it.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
Hi, I am Richard and I live in Sydney. I was just about to start a thread in Audio and saw this stickied thread.

I only listen to music. With iTunes and iPods, the internet, emerging digital technology and an avalanche of new artists made possible by a revolution in home recording that has ended the major label's monopoly, i am, if you can excuse the expression, stoked.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank those people who have given me so much pleasure over the years. There must be tens of thousands of you making great music, judging by the CDs i find each week.

My set up is a pair of Adam A5 near field monitors, a Adam A8 sub, a Lavry Da-11 DAC, and Apple Lossless files into a Onkyo ND-s1 digital output iPod dock, which also feeds a coaxial signal to the DAC from the MBP's USB port. It sounds great, but one day I'd love to drop the price of a small car on a couple of Adam's more upmarket monitors and an obscenely priced DAC. I hold the view that one day DACs will be able to replicate the sound of vinyl. I really do miss the musical quality of it, but certainly not the lack of variety that accompanied it.

Initially, I'd like to say that you have quite a setup! I googled your setup (I don't know that much) and it seems like every component you have is quality. That being said, why did you spend roughly $800 on speakers and over $1000 on a DAC? From my understanding, which is very limited, DAC's are more alike than different. Would you gain more benefit out of having a cheaper DAC and more expensive speakers? Anyhow, I'm sure you enjoy yourself quite fine. My current setup is a Topping TP30 DAC/AMP (T-class 2024; wish I had a 2020) and a pair of KEF C-10 speakers (their old!) and Grado SR125i and a PAV2 headphone amp. I listen to Apple Lossless files whenever available. While I don't have the money (or space), I do what I can, but I admire your setup!

Kyran

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
I use Adobe Audition 3 at work (Radio Producer) on a PC

But I'm a Mac user at home, Plus want to start using some of my skills from work as a hobby back home.

I come to these Forums after doing some Googleing and finding a thread similar but not really what Im looking for. But I love reading MacRumors...so I thought, why not register!

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
My name is Chris. I'm currently a student studying Journalism, Film, and Music. I am an Audiophile and Godzilla fan. I play a variety of instruments, but my favorite is a tie between Guitar, Trombone, and at times, Piano. I am not a Mac (yet), but I will be soon. :)

pofv

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Hi!

I release music under the name Peaks of Valleys. I guess I would describe it as Alternative/Electronic. There is a link in my signature if you want to stream my album in it's entirety.

TheDutchGuy

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Europe
It is I, The Dutch Guy, fast-moving radio personality and I produce radio imaging at my home studio. Currently searching for the best OSX audio programs, since I'm planning to go all Mac within 2 months...

dawida

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
I am also a new member here..
And i want to be an active part of this community to learn and share some of my information with you all...

Last edited:

Bendrix

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
I've been running Cubase on Windows but looking to move to a Mac. Do you guys think the new iMacs will have sufficient processing power for running a DAW? I generally don't go past 15-20 tracks on a song, no MIDI or VST instruments, though I do like to use quite a few CPU-heavy plug-ins. I generally bounce down and "master" as a separate step from mixing, so I generally don't have a bunch of plug-ins and effects in the master buss.

I'd like to think one of the new iMacs with maybe a RAM upgrade would be enough. Thoughts?

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Hi. My name is Winter :)

and I just love to have fun. I'm also a huge audiophile. :)

Macbook Pro Early 2011, MIDI Keyboard, Adobe Auditon, Garageband. :D

digital123

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Hi I am Uler jo , i am build aduio codes for the Best music quality and make it so clear ,Many times i see telos for the Best music quality.

ILOVEMUSIC81

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
I fund three private music studios. I'm usually not one to brag about low-end digital software. However, I have recently purchased an incredible software called "Dub Turbo" for forty bucks. All I can say about that software is that it offers a lot of awesome features for $40. I recommend this monster to any beginning digital music producer out there who is looking for a great product at a decent price.

Here is a link as well if you'd like to check it out for yourself:

http://e117f5zx38kben9b20-m18-lbp.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=W68FW831

Rock On! :D

Anna stacy

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
USA
Hi Every one :)

Hi, this is Anna Stacy and I have knack for all things related to Technology. My basic forte lies within Marketing and Trading industries. I love to write and share on what's hot and what's not when it comes to the online market. I want to be an enthusiastic blogger in this high demanding blogging world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.