Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I got tired of the Message in iCloud storage always showing 270 MB of usage when I only had 99 MB of conversations, so I decided to turn it off on my iPhone and iPad. It said it needed to download my messages on both devices when turning off, but still disabled immediately.

I checked the local storage after doing so and it never increased over 5 MB, so I went through and checked that all my messages and photos/videos were there. Once I did that I attempted to disable and delete messages from the iCloud storage screen. That hung “turning off” after a few minutes I killed the Settings app and tried again and it shut off immediately. It then displayed a message that I could undo this by tapping undo. I went to check the storage size and Messages disappeared from the iCloud storage area (meaning I couldn’t undo anymore which seems like a bug). Local storage size still showed 5 MB for messages, which I’m assuming was wrong.

According to http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/06/20/how-to-use-messages-on-icloud/ I could undo deleting by either going to the iCloud storage message screen or simply turning messages back on in the iCloud settings. Since the former screen was missing, I did the later on my iPhone.

At that point the Messages item reappeared in iCloud storage and reported to be using 135 Mb (half of what it was before). The conversations still reported as 99.9 MB, so it’s still 35 MB off, but at least I got back 135 MB. Strangely, after enabling it again on my iPad, the conversations listed on there as being 98.2 (1.7 MB smaller), with one conversation listed as 63.3 MB on my iPhone and 60.7 on my iPad (2.6 MB smaller). Those were originally the same size (99.9) before disabling and re-enabling, so I assume they will straighten themselves out at some point.

I tested deleting and that’s syncing so it seems to still work.

On a side note, my messages were still viewable in airplane mode despite “loading” when swiping down in a conversation so I assume they are stored on my device. I don’t see iOS freeing up space as it claims to be doing unless it caches all messages until the space is needed.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Lately the battery usage on my 7 Plus isn’t resetting after charging my phone, nor does the screen recognize that I’ve plugged in my phone, so I get large usage hours.

I’m hoping iOS 12 fixes this since the battery screen is being reworked.

b267740af7d9c30216ea5ba20e13ae96.jpg

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Lately the battery usage on my 7 Plus isn’t resetting after charging my phone, nor does the screen recognize that I’ve plugged in my phone, so I get large usage hours.

I’m hoping iOS 12 fixes this since the battery screen is being reworked.

b267740af7d9c30216ea5ba20e13ae96.jpg

This is also affecting the low power prompt as my phone just hit 19% and I was never prompt to enable low power mode.

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
It happened to me sometimes also not to be prompted for the low power mode. But this happened when I had the phone in my pocket for example, and the screen was not on when it reached 20%, I unlocked at 18% lets say, and no prompt

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I let the battery run down on my phone and instead of shutting off, it immediately changed to the picture of the battery that normally appears if you try to turn on your phone after the battery completely drains. Something was way off since that should never happen. Basically the phone didn’t know to shut down do to low battery. Battery health is 90%.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Then I have no idea what coils have caused the problem :D
Tomorrow iOS 12 will be out. Hopefully it will not happen again

Just noticed my iPad has the same problem, which I didn’t notice because iPad doesn’t support low power. I noticed it because when this happens the sound that occurs when plugging in doesn’t occur. As such it seeks like an iOS bug so I’m hoping iOS 12 fixes it.

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Just noticed my iPad has the same problem, which I didn’t notice because iPad doesn’t support low power. I noticed it because when this happens the sound that occurs when plugging in doesn’t occur. As such it seeks like an iOS bug so I’m hoping iOS 12 fixes it.

Had the same problem on my iPad. Powering off and then on fixed it. Also 110 hours of stand by and 77 hours of usage was fixed too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.