Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Okay, so it's not just me. I'm always reluctant to post about battery life after updates - but I'm definitely feeling it on 12.4.1 compared to 12.4. My Series 3 Apple Watch battery life has dropped with 5.3.1 as well.
I am not seeing any issues on my series 4 watch or my X. Battery life is consistent with what I experienced on 12.4. Updated to 12.4.1 on the day it was released.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I am not seeing any issues on my series 4 watch or my X. Battery life is consistent with what I experienced on 12.4. Updated to 12.4.1 on the day it was released.
I use a Series 3 with my Xs, 2 iPhone SEs and an iPad Air 3. The Air 3 has taken a subtle battery life hit, SEs are just as they were on 12.4, but the Series 3 and Xs took the biggest hit. I'm getting about 1/3 less battery life on both of those devices. Normally I dont need to charge until at 6pm, but I've been having to plug in around 2pm now.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I use a Series 3 with my Xs, 2 iPhone SEs and an iPad Air 3. The Air 3 has taken a subtle battery life hit, SEs are just as they were on 12.4, but the Series 3 and Xs took the biggest hit. I'm getting about 1/3 less battery life on both of those devices. Normally I dont need to charge until at 6pm, but I've been having to plug in around 2pm now.
That is strange. Definitely not seeing that. Hopefully it will settle down or be fixed in 13....battery drain is the pits

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Takes a few days to know about battery because it has to reindex
Indexing takes a few hours to a day at most. This is definitely update related. I’ve charged my phone 3 times today. It goes from 100% to 70% in 60 minutes flat. As much as I don’t want to restore, I might have to. It’s almost unusable unless I have a battery pack attacked to me. This also isn’t my first rodeo with this stuff. Have decades of experience.

Cameront1993

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2019
Indexing takes a few hours to a day at most. This is definitely update related. I’ve charged my phone 3 times today. It goes from 100% to 70% in 60 minutes flat. As much as I don’t want to restore, I might have to. It’s almost unusable unless I have a battery pack attacked to me. This also isn’t my first rodeo with this stuff. Have decades of experience.
Maybe try rebooting your phone or maybe it could be the apps mine was good today on xs max using 12.4.1 I’ll continue testing it because I got it last n

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Maybe try rebooting your phone or maybe it could be the apps mine was good today on xs max using 12.4.1 I’ll continue testing it because I got it last n
I appreciate you trying to help, but I am a veteran with this stuff. I've done all the troubleshooting short of restoring. I've reset settings, reset network settings, checked background apps/processes, signed out and back into iCloud and so far. Its A) A bad install or B) 12.4.1.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I appreciate you trying to help, but I am a veteran with this stuff. I've done all the troubleshooting short of restoring. I've reset settings, reset network settings, checked background apps/processes, signed out and back into iCloud and so far. Its A) A bad install or B) 12.4.1.
After taking the time to restore my phone as new, and only pair my Apple Watch to it, battery life is still a problem which leads me to believe it’s iOS 12.4.1 related. There is nothing on my device. Just bare bones. Will need to contact Apple now to report it.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I’m sad and irritated to have to report that my Settings app still freezes on occasion and the only resolution is time. I can swipe to kill and go back in to find it still frozen. Generally takes anywhere from 15 - 60 seconds to become responsive again.

darkeos

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2018

This means is better to stay at 12.4???? I have updated my watch but my phone is still at 12.4.... and I am thinking seriously to maintain this version forever!!!

I had a very bad experience with x and iOS 12 ( screen colors ) and now with an xs max.... i have a big doubt of what I am going to do with 12.4.1 or iOS 13, I am tired to invest a lot of money and due to software ( all starts to run slowly or battery duration changes ).

So, let’s see what happens but seems that my decision will be to mantain 12.4 and in November verify if could compensate iOS 13 jump

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This means is better to stay at 12.4???? I have updated my watch but my phone is still at 12.4.... and I am thinking seriously to maintain this version forever!!!

I had a very bad experience with x and iOS 12 ( screen colors ) and now with an xs max.... i have a big doubt of what I am going to do with 12.4.1 or iOS 13, I am tired to invest a lot of money and due to software ( all starts to run slowly or battery duration changes ).

So, let’s see what happens but seems that my decision will be to mantain 12.4 and in November verify if could compensate iOS 13 jump
It means that at times there are different experiences when it comes to different people/devices. It doesn't necessarily mean that everyone or most or even many experience the same things, but certainly that some could.

Reactions: darkeos

Nama52018

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
WI
Okay, so it's not just me. I'm always reluctant to post about battery life after updates - but I'm definitely feeling it on 12.4.1 compared to 12.4. My Series 3 Apple Watch battery life has dropped with 5.3.1 as well.

Series 2 watch battery life is less too. 8 + seems to have a few new locking up episodes too.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Its just me or the battery on this version is very, very good? Its definitively better than 12.4 for me on my XS Max and I think its one (if not) the best version of iOS 12 for battery life for me.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
12.4.1 drained the battery on my iPhone SE. It was jailbroken on 12.1.1 and decided to just let it go and clean the device up. Battery life was crap on 12.4.1 just like it was when I had it jailbroken. Thank God I was able to downgrade to 12.4 literally 4 days ago. Now it is no longer being signed. I jailbroke the device again and added all the tweaks I had and battery life is so much better now, even with having the iPhone 8 resolution and iPhone UI and gestures applied to it. Didn’t even restore from iCloud. Set it all up as new. Decide is now good to go and continue to be my secondary device.

There’s definitely an issue with 12.4.1 and hopefully Apple addresses it.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It’s interesting how that follows a message of someone saying their battery is better with 12.4.1 than it was before.
There seems to be a lot more negative comments (not just here on MacRumors, but actual people I know) regarding battery life with 12.4.1. The one person you mention seems to be the only positive comment I’ve seen/heard with regards to battery life with 12.4.1.

My battery life was so bad on my devices I had to upgrade to the betas. This is after doing fresh restores on all of my devices. The betas have substantially better battery life on my personal 4 devices and multiple family member devices. Something was wrong with 12.4.1.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
If you watch the zolotech video of his follow up on 12.4.1 you'll see a lot of people saying they have a great battery life. Not that I don't believe the negative comments, but for me so far the battery is definitively better. Not night and day but it seems it decrease slower than before.

But it can be a placebo effect on both sides because 12.4.1 is essentially a patch they done before to fix the jailbreak. I don't think they really do anything else that will impact the battery negatively or not.

ras113

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
hello,

i am on 12.4 , i would like to update to 12.4.1 and not to 13.0 ..is that possible ? through itunes or something?

Richytay

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
Since I updated to 12.4.1 my XR can’t rotate into landscape mode. Anyone else had this?

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
hello,

i am on 12.4 , i would like to update to 12.4.1 and not to 13.0 ..is that possible ? through itunes or something?
You have to download the software at ipsw.me for exemple and then install it via iTunes.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Will that then be like update or new installation?
In your case its an update because you're still in 12.4. Simply download the firmware file on your computer, and press option button (or shift key on Windows I think) while clicking the update button on iTunes to select the file on your computer and then it will install the select file.

ras113

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
tank you! :) My phone is with sim card and i am from europe.. when downloading firmware do i chose iphone x global or gsm version?

Im actually planing to make a fresh install with 12.4.1 and then not update it anymore.. the iphone is allways getting slower with a new update and i want to have the phone one year or more..

Last edited:

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I have 2 ipad... one pro one mini.... both were on 12.4 i had no problem logging in imessage. So i updated the ipad pro to 12.4.1 and couldn’t log in on iMessage. I restored and clean install .Tried my ipad mini on 12.4’and i could log on imessage no problem. This morning i updated the ipad mini to 12.4.1 and can’t log on iMessage anymore... There must be something in ios 12.4.1 that won’t let me log in. Anyone havin lg this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.