Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I got a message that my iCloud account was almost full which was shocking as I only store email there. I opened it up and there were a bunch of Photos and my iPhone and iPad Mini backups were there. I had always backed up to my old Mac (which is backed up to two Time Machine disks in different locations) so never had storage problems.

I turned off photo storage to iCloud on my mobile devices but the photos were still there so I went into the web interface and manually deleted all of the photos on iCloud. Then I turned off backup to iCloud on both devices and manually deleted the backups. So I'm fine on storage now. It's pretty annoying that I had to do this though.

My guess is that the vast majority of iPhone users backup to iCloud these days. I prefer to have local backup copies so that I can restore quickly and that I have multiple backups of my backups. I'd also guess that most people freak out when they get the message that iCloud is almost full because email stops adding new mails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.