Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kystengl

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
I have had this issue with my 2018 Clubman, wireless connection, for more than a year. Replaced head unit in car which made it connect every time. Unfortunately CarPlay continues to have connection issues. Have called Apple and been through two escalations and now they ignore my calls. That makes me believe this is a combination of BMW and Apple not working together for a solution. I agree that it is probably some type of wireless interference. Hope it is solved since it is a great system when connected. Of course very dangerous when it disconnects while in traffic on a phone call.

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
Just went to the dealer and asked if there was a firmware update? I have a 2019 Impreza.

And my CarPlay has been way worse on iOS 13 beta. Always stuttering, saying thinking for a long time and internet connection issues. Well, so she states. Phone is perfectly connected. Gotta unplug and replug it all the time to fix it. Getting annoying now.
No, my 2019 Forester can connect to Wi-Fi and auto checks for updates when the vehicle starts. Said there was an update, I installed it, and then later in the day read that one of the fixes was for audio skipping in CarPlay.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
No, my 2019 Forester can connect to Wi-Fi and auto checks for updates when the vehicle starts. Said there was an update, I installed it, and then later in the day read that one of the fixes was for audio skipping in CarPlay.

I’ll have to try that next time I pick up WiFi at my parents

jjord4

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
The option to connect to CarPlay is completely gone. The CarPlay WiFi isn’t even popping up. Any suggestions??
2019 MINI S 4Dr

I go from the music cutting out and general freezing to it being completely unavailable and not even an options.???

jjord4

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
UPDATE! Took it to the mini dealership today after the CarPlay option completely disappeared. After waiting for three hours and escalating the situation from technician to foreman to mini engineer they finally fixed my CarPlay connection. Now that I can finally connect again, it seems that it’s doesn’t skip as often but the problem is still there ?

Last edited:
Reactions: xodh

Mikepeer

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
Nederland
I remove tonight my phone from the mini, replayst again and drive 20 km. No cracks. ?
Tomorrow i drive 40km and i come back for the update. ???

jjord4

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Saw this suggestions on Apple support forums and it works great! No cutting or freezing.

Just put your phone under the infotainment system in the little cubby in front of the cup holders.

Works great, yet still annoying that I have to leave my phone in this spot. If I move it from the spot it continues to freeze and/or cut off.

Reactions: jimmysalg

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Wow!!! Thanks. This actually does work!
[automerge]1577566634[/automerge]
Saw this suggestions on Apple support forums and it works great! No cutting or freezing.

Just put your phone under the infotainment system in the little cubby in front of the cup holders.

Works great, yet still annoying that I have to leave my phone in this spot. If I move it from the spot it continues to freeze and/or cut off.

wow. It works. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjord4

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
No change for me, that’s where i always keep my phone.

Question is it plugged in to the USB? I noticed that if I plugged it in it would start cutting out again (but not as much). I have to have it in there by itself and then I don't get any cutout

KevenL

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
IOS 13.2 did not fix it for me. Today, I set the wifi 'ask to join networks' to off and 'auto join hotspot' to never. I think it may have improved (hopeful wishing), but won't know for sure until my commute to work tomorrow. I still got drop outs when I pulled into the grocery store (around the time I was checking wifi networks and an Xfinity truck parked further down - xfinity wifi appeared on my wifi list).

With the Mini's, I think you get the wireless charging unit in the armrest if you have CarPlay (no way to separate the options), at least it was with my 2019 US model (the charger is too small for the plus/ max though). My dropouts happen whether I have it in the armrest charger or sitting out.
Did changing the 'ask to join networks' and 'auto join hotspot' settings help?

Daki

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Did changing the 'ask to join networks' and 'auto join hotspot' settings help?
No, it did not. However, I did go back to this thread late last week and tried the suggestion a few posts above and placed the phone directly under the radio in the little area in front of the cup holders. When it is there, the drop outs are almost non existent. There is still one little stretch of road on my commute where dropouts happen, but for the most part, that seems to work. Not ideal, but it worked. Now, it would be nice to have that close signal in the wireless charging cradle.
For reference in case it matters at all:
US 2019 Mini JCW Convertible (built Nov 2018)
iPhone 11 pro with a leather case

MacBook08

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
California
The 13.3.1 beta has also resolved the issue for me (wireless CP, 2019 Mini Clubman). I've actually left my iPhone 11 Pro in my pocket and there's been no cutting out whatsoever (three trips so far). Overall CP responsiveness is also much improved.

fyi - I have followed the steps here to disable the U1 chip in 13.3.1: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/01/17/ios-13-3-1-beta-ultra-wideband-chip-toggle/. I haven't yet tested performance with it enabled.

ftmb

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
13.3.1 beta 3 available now. Is anyone here a developer and installed it? Can you tell if the problem was Realy solved with this update?
is it possible to install this update without being a developer?

ftmb

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Good news! I updated my iphone 11 to 13.3.1 beta 3 and the problem is solved. In my case it was NOT necessary disable the toggle of the U1 chip. I just updated the fw and it was 100%.
Cooper jcw 2020.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.