Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
When you double-tap home to bring up your recently used apps, swiping to the left brings up the iTunes controls like it always has, but swiping left one farther brings up a volume control for iTunes.

This has been here since iOS 4.2.

In multi-tasking tray instead of closing individual apps you can use several fingers to close multiple apps at once.

I've noticed this as early as iOS 4.3.

Mahu4you

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not a feature, but you can't put music, phone, and messages in a folder anymore... Pretty disappointing.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not a feature, but you can't put music, phone, and messages in a folder anymore... Pretty disappointing.

It still allows me to (on iOS 5.0).

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
If you have a Japanese keyboard set up then the "define" option will show up when selecting Japanese characters, which upon tapping will offer an english translation.

I'm not sure if this works with any other languages, though it didn't seem to do anything with Spanish or French.

callum23

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

that is mint , thanks man

Mahu4you

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011

T-Will said:

It still allows me to (on iOS 5.0).

It won't work on 5.0.1... You have to have the folder already created, dragging the icons together results to nothing.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It won't work on 5.0.1... You have to have the folder already created, dragging the icons together results to nothing.

I just dragged phone onto music, it created a new folder called "Music".

Perhaps the problem is you're leaving them in the dock? You can't create a new folder in the dock, you have to do it on the main screen - then you can drag the folder onto the dock if you want.

jangoforhire

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but if you hold down the new tab button in safari on the iPad (the plus all the way to the right) it shows you your recently closed tabs and gives you the option to open them again.

Also, is it possible to assign custom vibrations to contacts for text messages? I know this is possible for calls but I can't seem to get it to work for texts with specific contacts.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
I just dragged phone onto music, it created a new folder called "Music".

Perhaps the problem is you're leaving them in the dock? You can't create a new folder in the dock, you have to do it on the main screen - then you can drag the folder onto the dock if you want.

lol yah, i dragged phone and messages together and it labled it "Productivity" hahahaha

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
In multi-tasking tray instead of closing individual apps you can use several fingers to close multiple apps at once.

nice.. can only seem to get two fingers at the same time. if three finger works, it still takes longer than it would just using one finger.

floling

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
apple still haven't fixed the issue of an incoming SMS killing our eardrum while making a phonecall...

loud is what it is is what it is!

cheers

macteen94

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Oregon
That is notification center. It is available on all devices that run iOS 5. Apple featured it as one of the main features of iOS 5. So that makes it a documented feature.

On IPad 2 if you pull down on the time in on the task bar a notification tab opens.

----------

It works on iOS 5.1 beta 2... I have them all out of folders and tried to put them in. It worked.

tcison

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Siri command to create a general reminder

Sometimes I just want Siri to create a reminder and not have to think about specifying a time to be reminded. So rather than say "Remind me to...", say "Remember to..." and you won't be prompted for a time to be reminded. But if you forget this subtle difference and you are prompted for a time, simply say "No time" and you will get the same result.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
sometimes i just want siri to create a reminder and not have to think about specifying a time to be reminded. So rather than say "remind me to...", say "remember to..." and you won't be prompted for a time to be reminded. But if you forget this subtle difference and you are prompted for a time, simply say "no time" and you will get the same result.

thank you!

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
Sometimes I just want Siri to create a reminder and not have to think about specifying a time to be reminded. So rather than say "Remind me to...", say "Remember to..." and you won't be prompted for a time to be reminded. But if you forget this subtle difference and you are prompted for a time, simply say "No time" and you will get the same result.

Thanks. This is about one of three or four features in this thread that actually weren't listed or mentioned before in official explanations or marketing materials.

I also can't seem to get the "restart" command to work with Siri, has anyone? What exactly did you say?

floling

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
You can adjust the ringer/text volume independently of the music
it's not about the ipod and the sms tone, its about receiving an sms when talking on the phone.
i think it's a problem of the multitaskting ... well well!

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Please indicate if the tip is for iPhone or iPad

Many members forget there are multiple iOS 5 iDevices and a tip that works on one won't necessarily work on all. Also some members answer questions without quoting the original message. If you read the message immediately before, the answer makes no sense at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.