Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiteLinux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2018
Hello everyone!
According to ipsw.me, iOS 6.1.3 is currently signed by Apple for iPhone 4s and iPad 2.
And I successfully downgraded my ipad to iOS 6 using itunes.
Cool!!

Cheers,
Litelinux

Reactions: carlvi

Serge88

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
I was also able to downgraded my 4S to iOS 6. An hour later I got a popup asking me to upgrade to a new iOS 8.4.1.

iOS 9 was very slow on my 4S but iOS 8 is fine and i'm able to install all my apps.

carlvi

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2017
I tried this myself yesterday on my old 4s and my iPad 2, worked just fine :) They were pretty quick to fix the other signing "mistakes" they made yesterday but since they haven't stopped signing 6.1.3 for iPad 2 and iPhone 4s, I'm thinking that they're just quietly gonna keep signing it indefinitely. These devices were discontinued so long ago and an unofficial downgrade to 6.1.3 has been possible for years now with OdysseusOTA, so really no reason for them to stubbornly continue refuse to sign 6.1.3 for these devices. Hope they do the same for iPhone 4 and iPad mini 1st gen, there are still people out there using these devices daily who'd love to go back to iOS 6 for the performance boost. A4/A5 devices took a major performance hit from iOS 7 onwards. Seems iOS 6 was much more well optimized since it ran great even on the old 3GS.

Reactions: Serge88

sevecc

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2018
Poland
6.1.3 is still being signed for iPhone 4s and iPad 2 with one exception for iPad - mid2012 model - and unfortunately it is the one that my mum has. Tried to downgrade but didn't work :(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
6.1.3 is still being signed for iPhone 4s and iPad 2 with one exception for iPad - mid2012 model - and unfortunately it is the one that my mum has. Tried to downgrade but didn't work :(
You are saying that it's an iPad 2 but can't downgrade?

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Interesting that it's still being signed...i'm going to track down a 4s and have one around! Loved iOS 6 on the 4s/5

GTO

Suspended
Jan 23, 2018
It's still being signed for iPhone 4S. I managed to downgrade my iPhone 4S back to iOS 6 through iTunes.

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
They should start signing it for the iPad 2 mid 2012, iPad 3 iPad mini, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch 5.
Why are they still signing it only on older iPad 2's and the 4s? I know it has been like this since Apple accidentally signed a bunch of IOS versions for a couple hours, but why did they keep it like this just for certain iPad 2's and all 4s's?

carlvi

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2017
They should start signing it for the iPad 2 mid 2012, iPad 3 iPad mini, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch 5.
Why are they still signing it only on older iPad 2's and the 4s? I know it has been like this since Apple accidentally signed a bunch of IOS versions for a couple hours, but why did they keep it like this just for certain iPad 2's and all 4s's?

Agreed. It's very odd indeed - it's obviously intentional since they could easily have stopped signing these versions along with all the other older versions that they accidentally started signing, but makes little sense.

The only other case of an old iOS version being permanently signed is 4.1 on the 3GS and I remember reading somewhere that they did that in order to allow OS X 10.4 users to restore their phones through iTunes, but this obviously isn't the case with the 6.1.3 signing for 4S and iPad 2.

Only apple knows why downgrades are allowed on these particular devices but I believe it's a good thing. I personally use 9.3 on my iPad 2 - it's been used every day since 2011 and still runs great. But those who want to downgrade should be allowed to, especially on older devices that are pretty much obsolete no matter which firmware they run. Apple really doesn't have anything to lose by letting those of us who are still happy with old hardware use it on whatever firmware we please.

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
Agreed. It's very odd indeed - it's obviously intentional since they could easily have stopped signing these versions along with all the other older versions that they accidentally started signing, but makes little sense.

The only other case of an old iOS version being permanently signed is 4.1 on the 3GS and I remember reading somewhere that they did that in order to allow OS X 10.4 users to restore their phones through iTunes, but this obviously isn't the case with the 6.1.3 signing for 4S and iPad 2.

Only apple knows why downgrades are allowed on these particular devices but I believe it's a good thing. I personally use 9.3 on my iPad 2 - it's been used every day since 2011 and still runs great. But those who want to downgrade should be allowed to, especially on older devices that are pretty much obsolete no matter which firmware they run. Apple really doesn't have anything to lose by letting those of us who are still happy with old hardware use it on whatever firmware we please.

I could never go back to an iPad 2 on 9.X.X, that was painful even when disabling the visual effects and other background processes. Though, if I really need new apps, I'll just upgrade to 8.4.1 because 6.1.3 can't be directly upgraded to 9.3.5, it has to go 8.4.1 first, not only will you get more modern apps from 8.4.1 alone, you can jailbreak it and use lowerinstall to get even newer apps.

Eli_Carpenter

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2018
I used this iOS 6 downgrade as a way to get an old iPhone 4s that I had on iOS 8 from iOS 9 because if you downgrade iOS 6.1.3 and you go look for a software update in Settings, the software update that's available is for iOS 8.4.1 and not iOS 9.:apple:

Fguerouate

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2018
Oregon
Hello everyone!
According to ipsw.me, iOS 6.1.3 is currently signed by Apple for iPhone 4s and iPad 2.
And I successfully downgraded my ipad to iOS 6 using itunes.
Cool!!

Cheers,
Litelinux
That is sick! I gotta get an old 4s just to take a nostalgia trip back to iOS 6

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
As per ipsw.me Apple stopped signing iOS 6.1.3. So no hope to downrade. iOS 6 device is still in my wet dreams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.