Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Good morning, everyone.

I did some searches and I understand that iOS 7 may have some bugs with location based reminders. However, I did want to make sure that I am at least setting it up correctly so I can test if I am experiencing that bug as well. I don't want the work-around, but just the actual way it is supposed to work.

Also, is anyone else having success with such reminders on iOS 7? Or does it not work for anyone?

Thanks for your help and guidance! Have a great weekend coming up too!

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
I don't always get my location reminders "soon" after arriving at a destination. They pop up after I've been there for 15 minutes or more.

The only suggestion I have is to double-check your location reminder radius and check to see that you're inside it when you don't get the notification.

Example: I set a location reminder to look at my grocery shopping list when I arrive at a specific grocery store. I arrive, shop for 15 minutes or so, and then my reminder appears.

I know I am well within the geographic radius for the reminder because sometimes I get it when I drive on the road that passes in front of the store.

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Yes, background app refresh is on for the reminders app.

Sometimes I get the reminder when I arrive, sometimes it's 15 minutes after I arrive (on different trips to the same location).

In the reminders app, I have "remind me at a location" set to on, and Location option is set to "When I arrive..." with the location appearing in a pin. I adjust the radius so it stays within the parking lot area and not on the road (because I don't want the reminder if I'm just driving by the store, only when I'm actually walking in).

Generally that means a 500ft radius or more.

I might try resetting the positions using "Current Location" when I'm actually at the store. Some of my locations were set using the address and I know at least one was not accurate (I set it with "current location" on a later visit).

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I enabled Background App Refresh JUST REMINDERS checked and I already notice a pretty bad decrease in battery life...74% with only 1 hour 18 minutes of usage. :eek:

So, even if this enables location based reminders to work, I might be avoiding this feature to save on the battery life.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I enabled Background App Refresh JUST REMINDERS checked and I already notice a pretty bad decrease in battery life...74% with only 1 hour 18 minutes of usage. :eek:

So, even if this enables location based reminders to work, I might be avoiding this feature to save on the battery life.

Ok seriously. I have background refresh enabled and reminders is not even an option. How did you make it appear as one?

Nevermind: I just figured it out. It doesn't appear until you actually create a location based reminder.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I was having similar issues as the OP, but related to location accuracy. However, in researching that issue I learned that in order to use location-based reminders, the Reminders app has to be running, either in the front or at least on in the background. Location based reminders will not fire if the Reminders app is completely shut down. On the contrary, time-based reminders WILL fire if the app is completely shut down.

My understanding is that this behavior has been reported to Apple engineers, so hopefully they will address this in the next iOS7 update.

MichaelGraubart

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
London, UK
I was having similar issues as the OP, but related to location accuracy. However, in researching that issue I learned that in order to use location-based reminders, the Reminders app has to be running, either in the front or at least on in the background. Location based reminders will not fire if the Reminders app is completely shut down. On the contrary, time-based reminders WILL fire if the app is completely shut down.

My understanding is that this behavior has been reported to Apple engineers, so hopefully they will address this in the next iOS7 update.
[doublepost=1501435623][/doublepost]I have a similar problem with my iPhone SE and iOS 10.3.3, though in my case the delay is about 4 or 5 minutes. So the Apple engineers seem not to have addressed this. What is more, I cannot adjust the operational radius: if I drag the black dot in or out, it springs back. I have checked all the usual icloud and privacy (location services) settings.

I haven't yet looked at the rest of the posts here, but I did post in the Apple Discussions and got no response. I also had a lengthy 'chat' with an Apple advisor, who finally recommended resetting the phone by holding down the home and lock buttons, but this has had no effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.