Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Hey anyone ;) i got a quick question and that is

Why is there a little spinning wheel on the top of My home screen besides the little battery icon?

And does it use battery life?? thx ;)?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Have you tried restarting your phone to see if that would make it go away?

Quantum2

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
Sometimes it appears on my phone aswell, but it always goes away when I turn off the WiFi/3G

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Do you have a screen shot? Is on the top left or on the top right?

Sorry for being inactive LOL its is the top right where the battery is and my battery only lasts 5 hours on standby (no usage) and 10-20 min on usage.?

And yes i can take a screenshot later.:rolleyes:

----------

Sometimes it appears on my phone aswell, but it always goes away when I turn off the WiFi/3G

No dice with airplane mode/turn off wifi and data.

----------

Have you tried restarting your phone to see if that would make it go away?

It wont.

----------

and its is spinning VERY FAST faster then the small wheels nomaly spin.

Quantum2

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
Sorry for being inactive LOL its is the top right where the battery is and my battery only lasts 5 hours on standby (no usage) and 10-20 min on usage.?

----------

----------

It wont.

----------

I was not suggesting to disable data connection when the spinning thingy appears, I was just saying that the spinning wheel is related to some internet stuff going on the background, maybe a iCloud backup or photostream uploads

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

----------

----------

It wont.

----------

Im not sure what that would be on the top right...

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
here is a screenshot.

I just saw it for the first time ever on my iPhone 4S. I'm running iOS 6.1.3. wasn't doing anything new or out of the ordinary on my phone. just reading macrumors lol. the battery is at 1 percent and its still spinning as I type this. any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 1,613

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
here is a screenshot.

I just saw it for the first time ever on my iPhone 4S. I'm running iOS 6.1.3. wasn't doing anything new or out of the ordinary on my phone. just reading macrumors lol. the battery is at 1 percent and its still spinning as I type this. any ideas?
Thats within the browser, which is different. That's simply you being on a page where something isn't fully loaded and is being loaded at the time and perhaps there's some issue retrieving some piece or it's constantly reloading for some reason. Could similarly happen within an app. It's somewhat different than seeing that when you aren't even running any apps and nothing else is happening when you are on the home screen and you see that data spinner for no reason.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Thats within the browser, which is different. That's simply you being on a page where something isn't fully loaded and is being loaded at the time and perhaps there's some issue retrieving some piece or it's constantly reloading for some reason. Could similarly happen within an app. It's somewhat different than seeing that when you aren't even running any apps and nothing else is happening when you are on the home screen and you see that data spinner for no reason.

oh I see. yeah you're right. it was reloading one of my background tabs that hadn't fully rendered yet.

I think I misunderstood the OP question in that regard but the end basis of the discussion turns out to be the same. basically I figured out the spinning wheel will move to the right side of the top bar if there is t any room on the left hand. I was able to reproduce this to verify. basically when my phone went into Do Not Disturb mode & my signal strength attenuated to below -100 dB, there wasn't enough space on the left for the spinning wheel so it moved to the right next to the battery. good to know I guess.

in my case it was spinning b/c of safari. if you're on the home screen, idk. maybe something running in the background. try doing a hard reset, it tends to solve that.

DJDarkGift

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
Carlstadt, New Jersey
Do you have a screen shot? Is on the top left or on the top right?
Did you read his post, He said it’s right next to the battery icon so that would be the upper right side of the screen.
[doublepost=1527949273][/doublepost]

----------

----------

It wont.

----------

Has anyone ever found out why this happens? I notice that if I say Hey Siri, then hit the home button the spinning wheel stops and turns into the Direction Arrow used to display that location services are being used so maybe it has something to do with that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Did you read his post, He said it’s right next to the battery icon so that would be the upper right side of the screen.
Seems like that part was already replied to and taken care of about 4 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.