Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Which is the best weather app out there that has a widget? So far Ive found Be Weather.
That seems to be one of the better ones as far as the widget goes. There are also Weather Underground, Yahoo! Weather, The Weather Channel, Dark Sky, and various others.

markusloffler

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
Hi all,
I'm currently developing a new organiser widget. Went through the whole story of crash and burn with App Store rejection... now I'm positive I'm on the right track. It's about having a really good overview of your calendar events, a fast way to add new calendar events, tracking locations and recording voice notes.

What do you think? Here is more info: http://quicklydone.info

If you want to check it out, here is all info about it
Take care,
Markus

QuicklyDoneFlyerSimple.png

Last edited:
Reactions: LostEchoes

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Hi all,
I'm currently developing a new organiser widget. Went through the whole story of crash and burn with App Store rejection... now I'm positive I'm on the right track. It's about having a really good overview of your calendar events, a fast way to add new calendar events, tracking locations and recording voice notes.

What do you think? Here is more info: http://quicklydone.info

If you want to check it out, here is all info about it
Take care,
Markus

View attachment 595736

This is looking good, be interesting to know why Apple haven't allowed it to be excepted into the store.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I do not see EventsWidget listed in the calendars section. It has become my new favorite calendar widget.

I'm still really loving this widget and use it daily! See daily events and show either a certain amount of days (e.g. 7/8 ahead) or certain amount of events (max 28) and no advertisements or in-app purchases.

Hi all,
I'm currently developing a new organiser widget.
What do you think?

Markus thanks for posting your app here. I send you an e-mail for a TestFlight invite. I would be happy to give you feedback.

Which is the best weather app out there that has a widget? So far Ive found Be Weather.

Definitely BeWeather 2! I've tried the free version for a long time but to support the developer i've recently bought the app (unfortunately just before they had a 99 cents promo). The only thing that I would like to see is the minute by minute rain forecast to also work in my country (the Netherlands) other then that it's amazing to select all your favorite options and look of the widget and app.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
I'm still really loving this widget and use it daily! See daily events and show either a certain amount of days (e.g. 7/8 ahead) or certain amount of events (max 28) and no advertisements or in-app purchases.

Markus thanks for posting your app here. I send you an e-mail for a TestFlight invite. I would be happy to give you feedback.

Definitely BeWeather 2! I've tried the free version for a long time but to support the developer i've recently bought the app (unfortunately just before they had a 99 cents promo). The only thing that I would like to see is the minute by minute rain forecast to also work in my country (the Netherlands) other then that it's amazing to select all your favorite options and look of the widget and app.

Totally agree about "Eventswidget", apart from "Launcher" and "BeWeather" these pretty much make up my NC screen.

I've also requested the beta trial of "Quicklydone" be interesting to see how it stacks up.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Totally agree about "Eventswidget", apart from "Launcher" and "BeWeather" these pretty much make up my NC screen.

I've also requested the beta trial of "Quicklydone" be interesting to see how it stacks up.

We are both using Launcher, BeWeather 2 and Events Widget then.

I'm also using another local Dutch weather widget (Buienalarm) to see minute by minute rain forecast because BeWeather 2 cannot show that. I also love 'Klok' and 'Heapo' but decided to remove those because i didn't use them as much. I also have Glimpse to show mountain/snow webcams from various mountain villages in the Alps to see if there is any snow. I wish that someone would build a widget for it that actually has full support for webcams now that Yahoo Pipes stopped and i can no longer use the Photo of the Day widget solution (with RSS webcam feeds) as discussed earlier in this topic here and on this Dutch wintersports forum topic.

Reactions: Beefburga

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Have you noticed that the badge doesnt update like it used to? (Be Weather 2)
A new update is coming soon. Mine updates fine. I'm beta testing it though. I had an issue with some things not working but it turned out my wifi had switched to Xfinitywifi, a community wide service that has a weak signal where I live. After adding my regular Comcast wifi back, those issues stopped.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Does anyone know of a weather app that has a Badge Icon that actually works to show the correct temp? Fahrenheit did work at one time but now it just stays on whatever temp was correct on the last time opened.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
A new update is coming soon. Mine updates fine. I'm beta testing it though. I had an issue with some things not working but it turned out my wifi had switched to Xfinitywifi, a community wide service that has a weak signal where I live. After adding my regular Comcast wifi back, those issues stopped.

Thank you, looking forward to the update..

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
We are both using Launcher, BeWeather 2 and Events Widget then.

I also have Glimpse to show mountain/snow webcams from various mountain villages in the Alps to see if there is any snow. I wish that someone would build a widget for it that actually has full support for webcams now that Yahoo Pipes stopped and i can no longer use the Photo of the Day widget solution (with RSS webcam feeds) as discussed earlier in this topic here and on this Dutch wintersports forum topic.

To quote myself. You can still use Photo of the Day. I contacted the developer and informed him that Yahoo Pipes stopped. He has now a solution to create an RSS via his own website here which does work (although it's still a workaround to get it arranged and i can only get it to generate via a desktop/laptop and not via iPad or iPhone (at least not in Safari browser).

markusloffler

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
This is looking good, be interesting to know why Apple haven't allowed it to be excepted into the store.

@Beefburga: Originally, I just got the idea on how to add new calendar events really fast within one screen while seeing the context of your current events. When the iOS8 came out, I thought widgets are a perfect way to launch into adding a new event. So the original version just had four shortcut icons for adding new calendar events, reminders, locations, and voice notes. This was back at the time when launcher was rejected because pure shortcut widgets were not wanted. So this basically forced me to add more content to the widget (even though App Review couldn't tell me if this would really help "just submit again and we'll have a look" ;)). After the initial frustration I gave it a try and here we are ... ;)

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
As with many, I think Apple could loosen up a bit but too much customisation is Marmite for some. Me, personally I like to make my phone more suited to me and customise as much as I'm allowed, this is where the today screen and the widgets come in for me.

I look forward to testing your app when it's available.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Question for the thread: what is your opinion on left side margin and bottom padding for widgets? It's part of Apple's guidelines, but I've come to really not like it, and prefer full width widgets that use very little bottom padding. A widget that I have to use with left margin I usually stick at the bottom. Totally a personal aesthetic thing, but was just curious about others.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Totally agree with you Paco, perfect example are the bottom widgets I use.

Both good widgets but look kind of out of place when you consider Events Widget, Launcher.

Is this something the developers choose or are they lead by the style of widget and Apple?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    255.4 KB · Views: 493

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
My impression is that they are led by Apple's guidelines, especially if they are new to widget making. I've had a few conversations with developers begging them to make their widgets full width and drop the huge bottom padding, and frequently get the response that that is how Apple wants it. Thankfully more and more widgets are embracing full width, and making good use of those extra pixels.

On a separate note, Events Widget is my absolute favorite calendar widget right now. Only bummer is that my emails to the developer have gone unanswered, which always make me nervous in terms of ever getting updates/enhancements.

Totally agree with you Paco, perfect example are the bottom widgets I use.

Both good widgets but look kind of out of place when you consider Events Widget, Launcher.

Is this something the developers choose or are they lead by the style of widget and Apple?

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Markus,

Is this something you could look in to with your app in which to line up your widget to use the full width of the today screen?.

Just a thought as yours look still over more to the right (or is it my old eyes playing up?)

image.jpeg

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
On a separate note, Events Widget is my absolute favorite calendar widget right now. Only bummer is that my emails to the developer have gone unanswered, which always make me nervous in terms of ever getting updates/enhancements.

That's never a good sign especially those apps you've put your hand in your pocket for.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I really like it that Google Keep now also has a widget available and also supports the share sheets.

I also love the widget and i'm wondering:

1) What the colors mean in the widget with some appointments? I can't find it anywhere in the settings
Unfortunately i'm not seeing it today otherwise i would include a screenshot

2) When i set it to event list options to: 'events of 7 days' i'm now seeing only 5 days why is that? I have appointments on day 6, 7. Have you also seen this odd response? I have seen that it showed 7/8 days in the past. I just noticed that there is a short sentence in the settings area saying that is actually a limit in the size of the widget so it seems. When i deselect the top quick buttons i'm now seeing 6 days ahead instead of 5. Does Apple has a limit in the size of an app? If so a small scroll button could be an option within the widget maybe or simply clicking a button 'see more' or something like that.

I would also love to contact the developer about that to have an explanation. Do you have any idea?

Last edited:

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
If you have multiple calendars within your calendar, for example subscribed calendars for sports fixtures etc, then i think the colours in the widget relate to the colour the calendar app has given to them. If you are using the default apple calendar app then open it and choose calendars bottom middle of the screen and it will show a list of the calendars you use and the colour assigned to them.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
As mentioned above, the colored vertical bars should correspond to the calendar color as defined in Calendar app.

In terms of what is shown, the widget definitely has a max height. I do not know if that is an Apple limitation or a developer decision. I am ok with this as I don't want it so hugely tall.

There are two things I would really like 'fixed':

1. Font size: a long meeting name can result in such a small font it is barely readable. Allow a setting for minimum font size, even if that may result in the meeting name being truncated.

2. I want event location on a separate line so that it is always visible.

Ultimately I think this calendar widget is the best of all of them right now.

I really like it that Google Keep now also has a widget available and also supports the share sheets.

I also love the widget and i'm wondering:

1) What the colors mean in the widget with some appointments? I can't find it anywhere in the settings
Unfortunately i'm not seeing it today otherwise i would include a screenshot

2) When i set it to event list options to: 'events of 7 days' i'm now seeing only 5 days why is that? I have appointments on day 6, 7. Have you also seen this odd response? I have seen that it showed 7/8 days in the past. I just noticed that there is a short sentence in the settings area saying that is actually a limit in the size of the widget so it seems. When i deselect the top quick buttons i'm now seeing 6 days ahead instead of 5. Does Apple has a limit in the size of an app? If so a small scroll button could be an option within the widget maybe or simply clicking a button 'see more' or something like that.

I would also love to contact the developer about that to have an explanation. Do you have any idea?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As mentioned above, the colored vertical bars should correspond to the calendar color as defined in Calendar app.

In terms of what is shown, the widget definitely has a max height. I do not know if that is an Apple limitation or a developer decision. I am ok with this as I don't want it so hugely tall.

There are two things I would really like 'fixed':

1. Font size: a long meeting name can result in such a small font it is barely readable. Allow a setting for minimum font size, even if that may result in the meeting name being truncated.

2. I want event location on a separate line so that it is always visible.

Ultimately I think this calendar widget is the best of all of them right now.
You and I pretty much have the same two requests as far as that great app/widget goes. I even emailed the developer about the second request in particular (location being on its own line, or at least an option for that) a couple of weeks ago, but haven't heard anything back so far.

Reactions: Paco II
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.