Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Total conspiracy theory on my part, but I wonder if the Workflow acquisition could at all be related. Maybe Apple wants to be the only one doing shortcuts.

I also thought there might be a link between those two as well. See also this translated post of me on a Dutch tech site. Not sure what to think of the takeover though. I hope we will finally see the option then in the near future as well to customize the Control Center with quick settings and (third party) apps as well besides smart workflows.

For now other third party widgets (Magic Launcher Pro - updated 17th March, AirLaunch Pro - updated 22nd Feb. '17) still remain to have the feature all their list of supported apps remain really short (ofcourse you can manually add them).

Reactions: Paco II

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I also thought there might be a link between those two as well. See also this translated post of me on a Dutch tech site. Not sure what to think of the takeover though. I hope we will finally see the option then in the near future as well to customize the Control Center with quick settings and (third party) apps as well besides smart workflows.

For now other third party widgets (Magic Launcher Pro - updated 17th March, AirLaunch Pro - updated 22nd Feb. '17) still remain to have the feature all their list of supported apps remain really short (ofcourse you can manually add them).

I'm guessing Magic Launcher Pro and AirLaunch received the same warning from Apple. Cromulent labs was just quik to update. Launcher was pulled before. So Greg isn't taking chances.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Magic Launcher also had an app with IAP Pro upgrade which was available before the Pro app was launched.. that seems to be gone now, though Po version is still there.
I'm guessing Magic Launcher Pro and AirLaunch received the same warning from Apple. Cromulent labs was just quik to update. Launcher was pulled before. So Greg isn't taking chances.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
ML has had those for ages. Loving ML's dynamic display based on time of day and week/weekend.

I do like the battle for features between ML and Launcher. We the customers reap the benefits, unless Apple ruins the party.

Have any of you used the folders option in Launcher? I set up a few yesterday as part of my beta testing and like them.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
ML has had those for ages. Loving ML's dynamic display based on time of day and week/weekend.

I do like the battle for features between ML and Launcher. We the customers reap the benefits, unless Apple ruins the party.

I haven't used the folders yet with neither of them. I did test Magic Launcher a few days ago and it works great as well. The main downside that widget/app has is that the amount of apps that are in their database is really limited. I did have to add quite a few manually.

I sure hope that Apple don't ruins the party but it begins to look like it though.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Magic Launcher's recent update has moved the Settings launchers under App launchers, previously it was a separate item by itself.... Good part is, it still retains the Settings launchers, though it's grouped along with other App launchers.

Reactions: Paco II

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Magic Launcher's recent update has moved the Settings launchers under App launchers, previously it was a separate item by itself.... Good part is, it still retains the Settings launchers, though it's grouped along with other App launchers.

I still see it as a separate 'Settings' between the Magic Launcher, App Launcher and have the latest version installed.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Did you also see the latest TestFlight invite for v3 for Launcher widget. Apple is crippling this app more and more now with now also disallowing a search database for all apps that use URL schemes. Stop with this Apple or build these features into iOS itself! See also my tweet about this here.

Launcher_widget_Testflightv3update.jpg

I've also noticed another launcher widget called AirLaunch (Pro) also did an update and had to remove the Settings launchers as well as they also mentioned in their update.

Air_Launch_Pro_update.png

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
So does this affect checking of installed apps and prepare a database of launchers with URL schemes? If so, then what's the purpose of limiting the number?
Sometime back Twitter was checking for all the installed apps and Apple forced them to stop doing this (for security reasons?). Launcher has a legitimate reason for checking installed apps.

Did you also see the latest TestFlight invite for v3 for Launcher widget. Apple is crippling this app more and more now with now also disallowing a search database for all apps that use URL schemes. Stop with this Apple or build these features into iOS itself! See also my tweet about this here.

Launcher_widget_Testflightv3update.jpg

I've also noticed another launcher widget called AirLaunch (Pro) also did an update and had to remove the Settings launchers as well as they also mentioned in their update.

Air_Launch_Pro_update.png

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
So does this affect checking of installed apps and prepare a database of launchers with URL schemes? If so, then what's the purpose of limiting the number?
Sometime back Twitter was checking for all the installed apps and Apple forced them to stop doing this (for security reasons?). Launcher has a legitimate reason for checking installed apps.
Currently installed apps won't be affected.
He told me this:

"Yes, if you install a new app, it likely won't show up in the Installed list unless it is one of the top 100 most popular apps. In that case, if you search for it by name, it will show up there and let you know if it is installed or not and tapping on it will create the launcher just like normal. For people with a fresh install, having to keep searching for most apps will make it more of a pain, but it is less so for people who have run older versions of the app which have already checked the thousands of supported apps."

The long list of Uninstalled apps is gone. You have to use the search function to bring one up.

Last edited:
Reactions: pacorob

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Currently installed apps won't be affected.
Greg told me this:

"Yes, if you install a new app, it likely won't show up in the Installed list unless it is one of the top 100 most popular apps. In that case, if you search for it by name, it will show up there and let you know if it is installed or not and tapping on it will create the launcher just like normal. For people with a fresh install, having to keep searching for most apps will make it more of a pain, but it is less so for people who have run older versions of the app which have already checked the thousands of supported apps."

The long list of Uninstalled apps is gone. You have to use the search function to bring one up.
[doublepost=1494703614][/doublepost]That's ok. As long as core functionality stays the same I am not too bothered about a slightly longer set up process.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
[doublepost=1494703614][/doublepost]That's ok. As long as core functionality stays the same I am not too bothered about a slightly longer set up process.

I had requested an installed app that wasn't included in the installed list. He emailed me to say he added it. It still wasn't on the list, but I searched it and added it. Didn't take long at all.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I've found the developers of both ML and L to be super responsive in adding 'missing' apps.

I had requested an installed app that wasn't included in the installed list. He emailed me to say he added it. It still wasn't on the list, but I searched it and added it. Didn't take long at all.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
That's good to know... so this is not an app on the Appstore but need to sideload it installing a profile?

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I'm adding URL schemes myself for both Launcher and Magic Launcher .

I had it on my screen, but today it crashed upon launch. I looked in settlngs, and it has been deleted in profiles. I tried again to install, but I got a pop up that says can not install at this time.
UPDATE: The certificate had expired. You can go back to the website and install again now.

Last edited:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
iOS 10 has been out for a while now, and I have completely stopped using Launcher, because of it.
It's a two or three step action to get something done that was a one click thing before.
The new left-panel widget page and the way it's displayed etc, it's quite terrible. I still can't get over it.
The "quick" solutions that launcer offered are now hidden below the fold and so it is a swipe, a drag, a seletion, and then still having to click. because ios no longer allows a bunch of stuff and it is just not the same as before anymore.

It really sucks, it was almost worth it.

What a bummer for the author, i really feel for him

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
iOS 10 has been out for a while now, and I have completely stopped using Launcher, because of it.
It's a two or three step action to get something done that was a one click thing before.
The new left-panel widget page and the way it's displayed etc, it's quite terrible. I still can't get over it.
The "quick" solutions that launcer offered are now hidden below the fold and so it is a swipe, a drag, a seletion, and then still having to click. because ios no longer allows a bunch of stuff and it is just not the same as before anymore.

It really sucks, it was almost worth it.

What a bummer for the author, i really feel for him

Most of mine (82) only require one click. There's a few apps that offer a pop up, where you tap "ok". It's still handy for me, I have over 300 apps on my home screen. Most are in folders. I also like being able to call people without unlocking the phone.

Last edited:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Most of mine (82) only require one click. There's a few apps that offer a pop up, where you tap "ok". It's still handy for me, I have over 300 apps on my home screen. Most are in folders. I also like being able to call people without unlocking the phone.
Different needs I guess.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I had it on my screen, but today it crashed upon launch. I looked in settlngs, and it has been deleted in profiles. I tried again to install, but I got a pop up that says can not install at this time.
UPDATE: The certificate had expired. You can go back to the website and install again now.

I also had that the other day. I had to redownload it again as well to get the certificate working again.

I also only need to click an icon ones if I already used that in Launcher before from the Notification Center. The only downside of this is that it needs my TouchID after that to take action on the matter so two steps.

I love to easily see my current WIFI, Bluetooth connections and to switch easily and also to turn off 3G although it's unfortunately that for both of these you still have to be redirected to the specific Settings for that.

I also love the smart contact launchers to easily get in touch with someone via either phone, facetime audio/video, e-mail or whatsapp/telegram. I'm missing the option there though to send a predefined message to a contact which you can do with a separately action but it isn't yet available in the smart contact launchers area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.