Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I also had that the other day. I had to redownload it again as well to get the certificate working again.

I also only need to click an icon ones if I already used that in Launcher before from the Notification Center. The only downside of this is that it needs my TouchID after that to take action on the matter so two steps.

I love to easily see my current WIFI, Bluetooth connections and to switch easily and also to turn off 3G although it's unfortunately that for both of these you still have to be redirected to the specific Settings for that.

I also love the smart contact launchers to easily get in touch with someone via either phone, facetime audio/video, e-mail or whatsapp/telegram. I'm missing the option there though to send a predefined message to a contact which you can do with a separately action but it isn't yet available in the smart contact launchers area.

Greg wasn't even aware the certificate had expired until I emailed him. LOL I don't recall seeing anything about a predefined message. Sounds interesting.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Greg wasn't even aware the certificate had expired until I emailed him. LOL I don't recall seeing anything about a predefined message. Sounds interesting.

Haha ok really thanks for reaching out to him about it.

You can do that predefined messages with e.g. WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, iMessage, sms or Telegram.
The feature was removed for a few months with WhatsApp but luckely they decided to added it again later on.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Looks like Magic Launcher also removed Settings launchers...they never disclosed it in update notes. It still has an option for Settings launchers which is empty and asks to register. ML had a couple of updates since Launcher pro was forced to remove Settings, but at least LP mentioned it in the notes, so I kept a backup copy and didn't update it and it still works. Since ML shows an option for Settings, so only realized today that it had disabled it without informing the users.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Looks like Magic Launcher also removed Settings launchers...they never disclosed it in update notes. It still has an option for Settings launchers which is empty and asks to register. ML had a couple of updates since Launcher pro was forced to remove Settings, but at least LP mentioned it in the notes, so I kept a backup copy and didn't update it and it still works. Since ML shows an option for Settings, so only realized today that it had disabled it without informing the users.

I figured they would have to at some point. Their app store write up still lists "Manage settings..." as a feature. That will confuse new users. Many won't know about or know where to find the url schemes with either app.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
There all having to remove the feature. AirLaunch recently removed settings launchers as well after being told to by Apple. Hopefully custom settings launcher will continue to work, but that's all on Apple.

I figured they would have to at some point. Their app store write up still lists "Manage settings..." as a feature. That will confuse new users. Many won't know about or know where to find the url schemes with either app.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

Now that you mentioned it. It's pretty odd that they (Magic Launcher) didn't mention this removal in their App Store update nor did they mention anything about it on their website, Twitter or Facebook. It's also very odd that it's still showing up in their app but it shows up empty now.

image_02.png

image_01.png

There all having to remove the feature. AirLaunch recently removed settings launchers as well after being told to by Apple. Hopefully custom settings launcher will continue to work, but that's all on Apple.

I sure hope that existing custom settings launchers will indeed remain to work.
It's one of the most used launchers I use (e.g. change WIFI, see current WIFI name, see all available bluetooth devices, turn on/off 3G/4G, battery usage per app)

hieubtcoltech

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
Hi, I'm the developer of Magic Launcher and I’m really sorry for this. Apple just sent me message about asking me to remove the Settings from my app nor they will pull down my app from App Store. So I have to disable it immediately and will notify users in the upcoming updates

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for posting here. Did Apple give any reasons for having to remove Settings launchers?
Also, do the Settings launcher URLs reside in the app or they are implemented on the server side?
There were a couple of updates of Magic Launcher since Apple began forcing and in the absence of any mention in the release notes was glad to see the Settings option still there, though didn't realize that was disabled and was just a placeholder now.
It would have been helpful to inform users about it, so if anyone wanted they could keep a backup of older version.

Hi, I'm the developer of Magic Launcher and I’m really sorry for this. Apple just sent me message about asking me to remove the Settings from my app nor they will pull down my app from App Store. So I have to disable it immediately and will notify users in the upcoming updates

hieubtcoltech

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
Thanks for posting here. Did Apple give any reasons for having to remove Settings launchers?
Also, do the Settings launcher URLs reside in the app or they are implemented on the server side?
There were a couple of updates of Magic Launcher since Apple began forcing and in the absence of any mention in the release notes was glad to see the Settings option still there, though didn't realize that was disabled and was just a placeholder now.
It would have been helpful to inform users about it, so if anyone wanted they could keep a backup of older version.
They said that Settings URLs are their private APIs so they do not allow 3rd apps to use them. At this moment, we can still use them as normal by searching for Settings launcher from Magic Launcher

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

It's much appreciated that you posted your response here as well after I approached you via e-mail and posted this link to you.

They said that Settings URLs are their private APIs so they do not allow 3rd apps to use them. At this moment, we can still use them as normal by searching for Settings launcher from Magic Launcher

Thanks for pointing that out that we can still find the 'Settings' app and it's settings via the App Launcher > Search > Settings where you will get the Settings launcher. It seems Apple wasn't really thoroughly on this but aren't you afraid that they might remove your app when they found out after all that there you are still referring to their 'private Settings API'?

hieubtcoltech

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
It's much appreciated that you posted your response here as well after I approached you via e-mail and posted this link to you.

Thanks for pointing that out that we can still find the 'Settings' app and it's settings via the App Launcher > Search > Settings where you will get the Settings launcher. It seems Apple wasn't really thoroughly on this but aren't you afraid that they might remove your app when they found out after all that there you are still referring to their 'private Settings API'?
I have turned it on temporarily for current version only. In the upcoming version, it will be disabled completely.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I have turned it on temporarily for current version only. In the upcoming version, it will be disabled completely.

Aha good to know. Still such a shame Apple took this decision. I hope they change their mind on this. I still think they should actually open up these features for third parties instead of blocking them or then at least allow it untill the functionality is finally build and available in e.g. iOS11 into the Control Center so people with and without 3D Touch can choose their quick settings and have these advanced features e.g. to switch between WIFI points and Bluetooth devices without going into Settings app first.

Reactions: hieubtcoltech

hieubtcoltech

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
Aha good to know. Still such a shame Apple took this decision. I hope they change their mind on this. I still think they should actually open up these features for third parties instead of blocking them or then at least allow it untill the functionality is finally build and available in e.g. iOS11 into the Control Center so people with and without 3D Touch can choose their quick settings and have these advanced features e.g. to switch between WIFI points and Bluetooth devices without going into Settings app first.
That would be great if they integrate it into Control Center. I don't know why Apple doesn't listen to their users

Reactions: pacorob and Paco II

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That would be great if they integrate it into Control Center. I don't know why Apple doesn't listen to their users
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. And even when they do (to one degree or another) it can take some time. The existence of something like the Control Center is in itself an example of that.

Reactions: pacorob

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
In Launcher, I currently am able I launch sounds and cellular data setting via the shortcuts, but the shortcut for location settings is not working. Does anyone have a working link for location settings?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
In Launcher, I currently am able I launch sounds and cellular data setting via the shortcuts, but the shortcut for location settings is not working. Does anyone have a working link for location settings?

I think the one from the topic start post is the same one that I'm also currently using.
Location Services: Prefs:root=LOCATION_SERVICES (iOS8)
Location Services: Prefs:root=Privacy&path=LOCATION (iOS9/10)
I just tested it in Magic Launcher and my Location setting still works.

Last edited:

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
I think the one from the topic start post is the same one that I'm also currently using.
Location Services: Prefs:root=LOCATION_SERVICES
I just tested it in Magic Launcher and my Location setting still works.
For some reason that shortcut doesn't work with Launcher, maybe someone with the Launcher app can give it a try and see if it works.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Location Services: Prefs:root=Privacy&path=LOCATION

Also, for both Launcher Pro and Magic Launcher, it seems the app content including URL paths to create new launchers are not hard coded in the app and it fetches that information from servers without user action.
Since LP removed Settings, I had not updated the app hoping that the old version will retain the ability to create Settings launchers or at least will be able to check Settings URL path and make custom launchers, but even in the old version, option for Settings has disappeared.

For some reason that shortcut doesn't work with Launcher, maybe someone with the Launcher app can give it a try and see if it works.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Location Services: Prefs:root=Privacy&path=LOCATION

Also, for both Launcher Pro and Magic Launcher, it seems the app content including URL paths to create new launchers are not hard coded in the app and it fetches that information from servers without user action.
Since LP removed Settings, I had not updated the app hoping that the old version will retain the ability to create Settings launchers or at least will be able to check Settings URL path and make custom launchers, but even in the old version, option for Settings has disappeared.
Thanks for the shortcut path to location.

I have been able to access settings that I am interested in by creating custom launcher in the Launcher app.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Thanks so much sharing that. I didn't know such a list existed.

My apologies I've mentioned the old iOS8 URL scheme for location settings. It's good that the other uses already supplied it with the latest one for iOS9/10.

Location Services: Prefs:root=LOCATION_SERVICES (iOS8)
Location Services: Prefs:root=Privacy&path=LOCATION (iOS9/10)

A long list of those is already covered in the topic start here as well. I just made a copy of that as well so it's also available here.

It also seems that they changed a few URL schemes as of iOS9/10 which were accessible with a different URL scheme in iOS8 as you can also see in the topic start post here.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Has anyone tried Launcher apps with iOS 11 beta? How well do they work or Apple blocked access to Settings API?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Has anyone tried Launcher apps with iOS 11 beta? How well do they work or Apple blocked access to Settings API?

I also wonder about that as well. I did saw a message in the Testflight invite from Greg from Cromlent Labs that there were general issues with iOS11 and Launcher and that that Testflight version should fix compatibility with iOS11 in the Launcher app. But nothing about Setting URL schemes and if they still work. I think he is too afraid to mentioning anything about that nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.