Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I also wonder about that as well. I did saw a message in the Testflight invite from Greg from Cromlent Labs that there were general issues with iOS11 and Launcher and that that Testflight version should fix compatibility with iOS11 in the Launcher app. But nothing about Setting URL schemes and if they still work. I think he is too afraid to mentioning anything about that nowadays.

He thought it was unstable. Some do, some don't. But he gave the go ahead to use iOS 11 beta with the new build. If the url schemes did not work, he would have said so, and to stay off iOS 11. I just sent him an email to confirm.
The new schemes for iOS 11 are posted on the other thread.

Manually creating Settings launchers in app launching apps

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...s-in-app-launching-apps.2037291/&share_type=t

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
If the url schemes did not work, he would have said so, and to stay off iOS 11. I just sent him an email to confirm.

The new schemes for iOS 11 are posted on the other thread.

Thanks for reaching out to the developer as well. I've send him a public tweet but I think he is too afraid too answer there I guess. Let us know what Greg has to say about it.

It seems though that they are working looking at the updated iOS11 Settings URL scheme list. I will refer to it here as well in the first post.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Thanks for reaching out to the developer as well. I've send him a public tweet but I think he is too afraid too answer there I guess. Let us know what Greg has to say about it.

It seems though that they are working looking at the updated iOS11 Settings URL scheme list. I will refer to it here as well in the first post.

Greg refered me to the thread I posted above. LOL. I guess he reads MacRumors.

Reactions: pacorob

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I've just updated the start post here and indicated the difference between iOS8/9 - iOS10 - iOS11 and the difference in Settings URL schemes.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Is there anyway to launch the hotspot app and turn it on without actually having to launch the hotspot and manually turn it on?

In other words combine the two actions into one? Same for turning it off? Two separate buttons, one to turn on, one to turn off.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Is there anyway to launch the hotspot app and turn it on without actually having to launch the hotspot and manually turn it on?

In other words combine the two actions into one? Same for turning it off? Two separate buttons, one to turn on, one to turn off.

No unfortunately you can't do that with these third party Launcher widgets it's only a direct link to the Settings page and then you still need to change the switch manually there. Maybe with Apple's new iOS11 Control Center you can in the near future.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
No unfortunately you can't do that with these third party Launcher widgets it's only a direct link to the Settings page and then you still need to change the switch manually there. Maybe with Apple's new iOS11 Control Center you can in the near future.

That is what I thought, but I am not familiar enough with writing scripts etc and might have missed something for actually enabling the "on" switch.

At least I can get to it without having to click through several pages, so that is a start!

Thank you for the response.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Have you also noticed the story about Magic Launcher that Apple removed the Pro version of that.

Apple's reason according to Magic Launcher developer:
"They don’t allow third party apps such as Magic Launcher to launch system quick settings
or allow launching of third-party apps because they assume it promotes them - which is "not appropriate for the App Store." So are apps now also no longer allows to be launched by 3rd party apps?

See also their recent Facebook post about it here and here. Their free version is still live.
It might have to do with them using still the 'Settings' in their app (although empty) and the App Store screenshots (also in the Free version).

It also seems in iOS11 beta 5 the use of Settings launchers doesn't seem to work anymore if I understand correctly.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I had contacted the developer regarding the Pro-version disappearing from the Appstore but the regular ML being still there - he told the same thing that Apple removed the Pro-version. If you paid for the Pro-version and still have it then create an account in the Pro-version and then you can install the updated regular ML and sign-in with the same account and that will unlock the Pro-version. There hasn't been any substantial update to ML, so haven't tried it yet... may be because the developer is not investing more time on this app now until there is more clarity from Apple.

What's puzzling is that Apple removed the Pro-version but kept the regular ML given that both the apps could launch Settings and later it was removed from both the versions.

Also, Apple's argument that the app promoting other 3rd-party apps is not valid because the app doesn't come pre-installed with 3rd-party launchers... that would be an advertisement .. like how Google pays Apple for being the default search engine. Users creates the launchers based on which apps they use often.

Now with the new Control center in iOS11, Apple might be promoting/forcing users to use it for quick Settings and discouraging Notification center widget for this functionality.

Have you also noticed the story about Magic Launcher that Apple removed the Pro version of that.

Apple's reason according to Magic Launcher developer:
"They don’t allow third party apps such as Magic Launcher to launch system quick settings
or allow launching of third-party apps because they assume it promotes them - which is "not appropriate for the App Store." So are apps now also no longer allows to be launched by 3rd party apps?

See also their recent Facebook post about it here and here. Their free version is still live.
It might have to do with them using still the 'Settings' in their app (although empty) and the App Store screenshots (also in the Free version).

It also seems in iOS11 beta 5 the use of Settings launchers doesn't seem to work anymore if I understand correctly.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
What's puzzling is that Apple removed the Pro-version but kept the regular ML given that both the apps could launch Settings and later it was removed from both the versions.

Also, Apple's argument that the app promoting other 3rd-party apps is not valid because the app doesn't come pre-installed with 3rd-party launchers... that would be an advertisement .. like how Google pays Apple for being the default search engine. Users creates the launchers based on which apps they use often.

Now with the new Control center in iOS11, Apple might be promoting/forcing users to use it for quick Settings and discouraging Notification center widget for this functionality.

It seems indeed very odd that they only removed the Pro version and not the free one. I think it can't last long untill they do the same thing there. I would also think for the developer in the first place to comply with the new Apple rules as far as Settings launchers to at least remove that menu option in the app completely instead of keeping it in there as an empty shell and also adjusting the App Store screenshot by removing settings launchers in those.

I think I've seen the argument a while ago for the Cromulent Labs launcher as well (which is still in the App Store) to no longer automatically recognise which apps are installed on somebodies iDevice to indicate those third party apps in their app. See this story from May' 17. In the end they removed that and now you have to use the search within the app and then add a launcher for that specific third party app so you still can but it works differently (less user friendly I would say). Grrr Apple :(

If Apple tries to force people then I think they should first support all quick launch features in Control Center and release iOS11 to the public instead of bullying these launcher developers.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
It seems indeed very odd that they only removed the Pro version and not the free one. I think it can't last long untill they do the same thing there. I would also think for the developer in the first place to comply with the new Apple rules as far as Settings launchers to at least remove that menu option in the app completely instead of keeping it in there as an empty shell and also adjusting the App Store screenshot by removing settings launchers in those.

I think I've seen the argument a while ago for the Cromulent Labs launcher as well (which is still in the App Store) to no longer automatically recognise which apps are installed on somebodies iDevice to indicate those third party apps in their app. See this story from May' 17. In the end they removed that and now you have to use the search within the app and then add a launcher for that specific third party app so you still can but it works differently (less user friendly I would say). Grrr Apple

If Apple tries to force people then I think they should first support all quick launch features in Control Center and release iOS11 to the public instead of bullying these launcher developers.

I haven't had any issues doing it how Launcher does it now. You just can't browse apps.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
It's making the best out of situation but still it seems as if the developer from Magic Launcher doesn't quite understand what to do now in getting the Pro version of the App back in the store by implementing these things.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Quite a lot can now be launched via Apple's new iOS11 Control Center but unfortunately it also still lacks quite a few options. You can't go quickly to Settings such as 'Refresh in background', 'Location use per app', 'Notifications on apps' 'x amount of MB/GB Storage per app', Battery status (x hour of usage/standby) and Storage maintenance that are unfortunately missing in the list of options to see in the new Control Center and you can also no longer launch other various Apple apps.

It's also so odd that in iOS11 you no longer can turn off WIFI and Bluetooth within Control Center see this.

That is why my iDevices still run iOS10.3.2

--------------
Does somebody happen to know if there is a special/Magic Launcher for seeing the current Bluetooth device you are connect to? Similar to the WIFI version that does still exist in both apps (I would have expected to no longer see those although it's a bit crippled).

-------------

@Ledsteplin can you please remove the reference to the Launcher's add2 in this topic as the developer asked me to remove all links but you quoted me twice. I couldn't reach you via PM

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Quite a lot can now be launched via Apple's new iOS11 Control Center but unfortunately it also still lacks quite a few options. You can't go quickly to Settings such as 'Refresh in background', 'Location use per app', 'Notifications on apps' 'x amount of MB/GB Storage per app', Battery status (x hour of usage/standby) and Storage maintenance that are unfortunately missing in the list of options to see in the new Control Center and you can also no longer launch other various Apple apps.

It's also so odd that in iOS11 you no longer can turn off WIFI and Bluetooth within Control Center see this.

That is why my iDevices still run iOS10.3.2

--------------
Does somebody happen to know if there is a special/Magic Launcher for seeing the current Bluetooth device you are connect to? Similar to the WIFI version that does still exist in both apps (I would have expected to no longer see those although it's a bit crippled).

-------------

@Ledsteplin can you please remove the reference to the Launcher's add2 in this topic as the developer asked me to remove all links but you quoted me twice. I couldn't reach you via PM

Sorry for lateness. Removed one on my quote, and one inside what I quoted. Couldn't find any other. If there's another, which post #?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Do others still run iOS10.3.2 like I do just do keep their Settings launchers in their widget (that aren't available in the iOS11 Control Center: 'Refresh in background', 'Location use per app', 'Notifications on apps' 'x amount of MB/GB Storage per app', 'Battery status' (x hour of usage/standby) and 'Storage maintenance') and other things such as:

* Show directly the widgets in notification center (if you had no recent notifications)
* Have two columns for widgets on iPad
* Just easily turn WIFI and Bluetooth on/off via Control Center
* Run 32bit (only) apps

Last edited:

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I got on iOS 11 mainly to explore new features (though there aren't many which are frequently used and iOS 11 is still isn't as smooth as 10.3.3)... I find myself opening Settings app more often now to turn-off wifi, low-power mode.
Launcher widget is now only useful for opening 3rd-party apps or just use 3rd-party apps' widget itself instead of indirectly launching it through Launcher.
It would be more convenient if Apple provided options to turn-off wifi instead of disconnecting and other Settings menu in Control Center.

Do others still run iOS10.3.2 like I do just do keep their Settings launchers and other things such as:

* Show directly the widgets in notification center (if you had no recent notifications)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I got on iOS 11 mainly to explore new features (though there aren't many which are frequently used and iOS 11 is still isn't as smooth as 10.3.3)... I find myself opening Settings app more often now to turn-off wifi, low-power mode.
Launcher widget is now only useful for opening 3rd-party apps or just use 3rd-party apps' widget itself instead of indirectly launching it through Launcher.
It would be more convenient if Apple provided options to turn-off wifi instead of disconnecting and other Settings menu in Control Center.
Low Power Mode can be controlled though Control Center.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

I'm sorry to see you made the switch but security wise it's probably a good decision.
The things you mention are exactly the reason why I stick to iOS10.3.2 for now.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Do others still run iOS10.3.2 like I do just do keep their Settings launchers and other things such as:

I'm still on iOS 10.1.1. I have several reasons to stay there. Launcher is one of them. But also have several 32 bit apps I like and use a lot. Can't find suitable replacements.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Has anyone tried the new Launcher homescreen widgets? Only available on beta, for now. I think they're great! Here's one for music on my 6s Plus. For now, there's only 2 sizes. But you can switch Launcher set ups on the same widget, similar, but a little more work, to the iOS widget stacks.
IMG_0136.png

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Has anyone tried the new Launcher homescreen widgets? Only available on beta, for now. I think they're great! Here's one for music on my 6s Plus. For now, there's only 2 sizes. But you can switch Launcher set ups on the same widget, similar, but a little more work, to the iOS widget stacks.

I'm in the beta but haven't tried it yet. The limitation of 2 sizes surprises me why so few? The amount of apps/actions on the size seems also really limited or can you set also 4-6 apps where you currently have only 3? I'm still using the classic NC widget since it feels I have it quicker at hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.