Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fillilutten

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
@I_ndeed

Nope, unfortunately, YT ads are almost impossible to block.

Also sorry for the late reply, I've missed your post:(.
[doublepost=1477936111][/doublepost]

We'll test it:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForiOS/issues/162#issuecomment-257366692

I'll return with testing result.

Why is it like that? Have been fiddling around with pi-hole and it seems to be the same case. But using ublock chrome add on for the computer and it blocks YouTube ads 100%. What's the big differences between them and pi-hole/AdguardPRO?

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Why is it like that? Have been fiddling around with pi-hole and it seems to be the same case. But using ublock chrome add on for the computer and it blocks YouTube ads 100%. What's the big differences between them and pi-hole/AdguardPRO?

You shouldn't confuse Youtube app and Youtube website.

Any version of AG is enough to block ads on Youtube website. The app is a whole different story, it uses very different approach to load videos and ads metadata.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Thanks makes sense this is why I use the ProTube app instead always blocks YouTube ads!

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
So, which filters do you guys use in Adguard to maximize security and utility vs fastest website loading? I use English, Spyware, Social media, Annoyances, Spanish/Portuguese, Mobile Ads and Safari filters.

Is there a filter to completely disable tracking and storing website data, cookies and whatnot?

Thanks!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So, which filters do you guys use in Adguard to maximize security and utility vs fastest website loading? I use English, Spyware, Social media, Annoyances, Spanish/Portuguese, Mobile Ads and Safari filters.

Is there a filter to completely disable tracking and storing website data, cookies and whatnot?

Thanks!

Are those options not already available in Safari's settings?

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Are those options not already available in Safari's settings?

It would likely to break websites functionality.

Spyware filters is good for blocking tracking, but it won't prevent websites from storing data (am not sure if it's possible without hurting websites).

Applerx

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
I just received the Adguard update :)

@avatar-adg can you explain the difference between the "old" DNS blocking and the new system-wide blocking on the network level?

Are there any advantages of one method over the other?

Reactions: willmtaylor

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
@avatar-adg can you explain the difference between the "old" DNS blocking and the new system-wide blocking on the network level?

System-wide ad blocking is local (blocks ads right on your device) and does not change your DNS settings.

This lets you stick to your provider's DNS or benefit from some popular DNS servers (like OpenDNS for instance) and block ads with Adguard's filter at the same time.

Are there any advantages of one method over the other?

AG DNS servers might be located far away from you. For instance, if you're an Aussie, ping will be ~200-300ms against 5-10ms with your provider's DNS server.

Aside from it, system-wide ad blocking and DNS settings are independent modules, and, IMO, they should've been independent right from the beginning:)

Reactions: Applerx

Applerx

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
Thanks for the answers!

So, system-wide blocking won't send the websites I visit to Adguard whereas this is the case when using the Adguard DNS servers?

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
So, system-wide blocking won't send the websites I visit to Adguard whereas this is the case when using the Adguard DNS servers?

Yeah, indeed. Even though we do provide a no-logging privacy policy for the DNS server, you now have more control over it.

Reactions: Applerx

Matyou98

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
So to clarify further, is it best to use either the vpn or system wide adblocking individually instead of having both enabled at once?

System-wide ad blocking is local (blocks ads right on your device) and does not change your DNS settings.

This lets you stick to your provider's DNS or benefit from some popular DNS servers (like OpenDNS for instance) and block ads with Adguard's filter at the same time.

AG DNS servers might be located far away from you. For instance, if you're an Aussie, ping will be ~200-300ms against 5-10ms with your provider's DNS server.

Aside from it, system-wide ad blocking and DNS settings are independent modules, and, IMO, they should've been independent right from the beginning:)

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
So to clarify further, is it best to use either the vpn or system wide adblocking individually instead of having both enabled at once?

They both use the VPN API, just for different things.

In the end, it depends on what you need from Adguard.
1. Want ad blocking? System-wide ad blocking is just enough.
2. Do not want to share your browsing history with the ISP? Try Adguard DNS or any other no-logging DNS.
3. Want to have adult websites blocked? Try Adguard Family Protection or Open DNS Family Shield.
4. etc.

Matyou98

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Is there ever a time when one would want both the vpn and the system wide ad blocking features enabled at the same time? Mainly curious if using both causes an overlap where both the vpn and system wide ad blocking are both unnecessarily doing the same thing possibly increasing battery drain and cpu usage.

They both use the VPN API, just for different things.

In the end, it depends on what you need from Adguard.
1. Want ad blocking? System-wide ad blocking is just enough.
2. Do not want to share your browsing history with the ISP? Try Adguard DNS or any other no-logging DNS.
3. Want to have adult websites blocked? Try Adguard Family Protection or Open DNS Family Shield.
4. etc.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Is there ever a time when one would want both the vpn and the system wide ad blocking features enabled at the same time? Mainly curious if using both causes an overlap where both the vpn and system wide ad blocking are both unnecessarily doing the same thing possibly increasing battery drain and cpu usage.

I don't know how Apple does it, but it appears, that VPN apps based on new Network Extension framework (like Adguard) are compatible with the apps based on the VPN-profile approach.

We keep track of compatible VPN apps on Github:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForiOS/issues/162

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I just purchased the Pro version with the new update, I'm excited :)
I think the app is perfect—if it had iCloud support for saving my settings that'd be cherry on top.

Matyou98

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
In my previous question, I was curious if using both the 'fake vpn' and the new 'system wide ad blocking' settings in the adguard pro app at the same time would be overkill. It seems to me that both do the same thing but are just implemented in different ways (using your dns servers vs using the ISP dns servers).

I was not asking if using separate vpn apps in conjunction with adguard pro would cause any conflicts. Also thank you for your prompt replies. I have learned so much reading your replies on how adguard pro works and what differentiates it from other content blockers.

I don't know how Apple does it, but it appears, that VPN apps based on new Network Extension framework (like Adguard) are compatible with the apps based on the VPN-profile approach.

We keep track of compatible VPN apps on Github:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForiOS/issues/162

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
I think the app is perfect—if it had iCloud support for saving my settings that'd be cherry on top.

I must admit that it is my fault we still don't have it.

Instead of making a relatively simple iCloud Sync feature among Apple ecosystem apps (AG for iOS, Mac and Safari extension) I decided, that we should make it cross-platform so that you could sync with literally any AG app. This is much much harder to implement, that's why it is not here yet.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012

Instead of making a relatively simple iCloud Sync feature among Apple ecosystem apps (AG for iOS, Mac and Safari extension) I decided, that we should make it cross-platform so that you could sync with literally any AG app. This is much much harder to implement, that's why it is not here yet.
Well at least is in the pipeline ;) Quick question, how do I add domains to User filter? writing ||domain.com no longer seems to work. Thanks!

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
It seems to me that both do the same thing but are just implemented in different ways (using your dns servers vs using the ISP dns servers).

If you need just the ad blocking, using default Adguard DNS along with the system-wide ad blocking would be an overkill indeed.
[doublepost=1492018275][/doublepost]
Well at least is in the pipeline ;) Quick question, how do I add domains to User filter? writing ||domain.com no longer seems to work. Thanks!

Please note, that the User filter is now used for Safari Content Blocker only.

System-wide filtering provides separate blacklist/whitelist. Moreover, you can block/unblock domains right from the log view.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009

Lacking 2 important features, sync settings across devices iOS /MacOS and Adguard Pro needs firewall for apps

Last edited:

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany
System-wide filtering *...it is capable of filtering traffic of all apps and browsers on your device...*

So, this function would be able to block ads in Chrome for iOS? Because it isn't. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: iCloud Photos wasn't syncing with system-wide filtering enabled.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
@flowsy

So, this function would be able to block ads in Chrome for iOS? Because it isn't. Am I doing something wrong?

There is a nasty bug in the new version. So, when you update the app from the previous version, you should switch system-wide filtering OFF and then ON again in order for start it up properly. Everything is ok with the clean install, though.

Edit: iCloud Photos wasn't syncing with system-wide filtering enabled.

With system-wide only or with the DNS as well?

Reactions: flowsy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.