Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you upgrading to iOS 9 ?

• Yes

Votes: 362 75.7%
  • No, I'm sticking with iOS 8 or earlier

Votes: 39 8.2%
  • I will try the iOS 9 public beta first.

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • I'm waiting for iOS 9.1

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • iOS 9.2

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • iOS 9.3

Votes: 20 4.2%

• Total voters

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I'm annoyed at random limitations imposed by apple to force upgrades.

My iPad 3 is perfectly fine for my needs. Why stop sketches from working on ipad 3? I understand it happens with hardware differences make it impossible (i.e. not having a required chipset) but seriously.. what's stopping apple from allowing sketches?

it looks like they go randomly with a list of updates and say "not this, this is extra, pay for a new ipad".

I will buy a new ipad when my current ipad dies.. basically.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008

My iPad 3 is perfectly fine for my needs. Why stop sketches from working on ipad 3? I understand it happens with hardware differences make it impossible (i.e. not having a required chipset) but seriously.. what's stopping apple from allowing sketches?

it looks like they go randomly with a list of updates and say "not this, this is extra, pay for a new ipad".

thats the name of the game my friend.... name of the game - FOR PROFIT COMPANY

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Could anyone tell me if in iOS 9 the NFC chip has been made accessible to third party developers? I have tried finding it but, it isn't mentioned anywhere.

The nfc chip only exists on the iPhone 6/6+ and is locked to Apple Pay only even with iOS 9.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015

It's basically software, to make all iPad 3 users feel that they didn't get the feature that was mentioned in the keynote. The feature can also require a better chip. iPad 3 is on its way to being obsolete, in fact iPad 4 is 3 x faster, iPad Air is 5 x faster and iPad Air 2 is more than 6 times faster that's why they run the sketch in notes. What I can say that be also a hardware problem, if apple did give you that feature the iPad could've much slowed down.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
I'm confused doesn't the 4s share the exact same SOC as the iPod Touch and iPad 2 except in 45nm configuration? I don't see how the iPod Touch will get better performance considering it has a higher resolution display seeing how they share the same SOC. Unless Apple is really not optimizing 4s model through a model identifier or something. Looks like it's time to downgrade my 4s to iOS 6 and make it a portable music player.

Reactions: oldmacs

Todenymyflesh

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2014
Help needed!

I have a IPhone 5 did the iOS 9 beta testing and every time after locking my screen I get a notification that states update to the new iOS 9 upgrade but when I check settings there is no update needed. What do I do? I've already reset my phone and it rest me back to may because iCloud wouldn't sync.

Last edited by a moderator:

OlivierK

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Belgium
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before but my iPhone 4S didn't get the News app. The Newsstand is gone though. Is this a limitation for the iPhone 4S or is the News app limited by region? I'm from Belgium. I was really looking forward to trying it out!

Edit: looks like it's limited to US only for now!

Last edited:

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Ok, this much touted split-screen thing: can I get it? I only have a measly Air 2, will it work on hardware that old (November)? If so, how does one make it happen? So far, the sidebar only has Apple apps in it (and: will they someday let me hide the ones of those I never use?), so that is all but useless to me.

Oh, and this mixed-case keyboard: ick, will I eventually get used to it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok, this much touted split-screen thing: can I get it? I only have a measly Air 2, will it work on hardware that old (November)? If so, how does one make it happen? So far, the sidebar only has Apple apps in it (and: will they someday let me hide the ones of those I never use?), so that is all but useless to me.

Oh, and this mixed-case keyboard: ick, will I eventually get used to it?
You can change the keyboard back to how it was in accessibility settings. As for slide over and split screen, I believe there are some front page articles that go into detail as to how they work.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
You can change the keyboard back to how it was in accessibility settings.
Thank you.
As for slide over and split screen, I believe there are some front page articles that go into detail as to how they work.
So by mid-December, we might have a pile of 3rd-Party apps that do that.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
My iPhone 5 display turns on when facedown and receiving a text. Is that proximity-sensor-based display switch only available on newer phones?

Rubo Draco

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
4. 6 digit passcodes - supported on all devices

Not working on my iPad 2 (iOS 9 stable, 3G+WiFi)
I even tried disabling passcode and enabling again but I couldn't set a 6 digit passcode. Are we supposed to toggle ON some switch to enable the feature or what? If so then, where is it?

Edit

From Apple's website...
Apple said:

Six-digit passcodes

The default for passcodes on your Touch ID–enabled iPhone and iPad is now six digits instead of four. If you use Touch ID, it’s a change you’ll hardly notice. But with one million possible combinations — instead of 10,000 — your passcode will be a lot tougher to crack.

So... No 6 digit passcode for no Touch ID devices

Edit

SOLVED

It's not enabled by default. You have to hit the "Change passcode" option then type your old passcode and hit the "Passcode Options" option

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    399.1 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Another stupid limitation. iPad 3s don't have low power mode.

Please.
None of the iPads have that. It's for iPhones to conserve power (more or less from the aspect of being able to make or take a call being more of a priority)

macnicol

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
What version of iTunes does IOS 9 require, is it compatible with Mac OSX 10.9.5 iPhoto 9.5.1?

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
In any app if you ask Siri to open settings it will open the settings for that specific app if it Is in settings.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
So, for all intents and purposes, nothing REALLY new for my venerable iPad 2; except, from so many reports, upgrading will slow it down (still running iOS 7 because iOS 8 turned the iPad 2 into molasses).

That about right?

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I don't have a 4S but it's said that new features will be available in next betas. If not, I'll be editing my information to the right data.
Thank you..

I still don't have a preview scrubber bar on my iPhone 4S (iOS 9.1 beta 3)

pustota

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
Sorry, if that's a wrong thread (and perhaps you can direct me in the right direction): will iOS9 slow my iPad Air and I will hate the experience? Or should I try it out?

Thank you guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.