Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I've held out on iOS 9 on my 6 Plus for several reasons, but I've read the reports that iOS 12 does not slow down older phones.

Has anyone tried the upgrade from 9 to 12 on an iPhone 6? If so, what were your results? Slower? Thanks.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
I've held out on iOS 9 on my 6 Plus for several reasons, but I've read the reports that iOS 12 does not slow down older phones.

Has anyone tried the upgrade from 9 to 12 on an iPhone 6? If so, what were your results? Slower? Thanks.
Update! Do you not read what other people post?
Not in this thread of course. Security is important to you?! You should care about it. Update!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Don't do it. A friend had a 6+ on iOS 11 and battery life was lower - yes, lower - than my 6s on iOS 9. (A plus should have anywhere between 1.5 to 3 more hours than a regular. Lower? It's the equivalent of my iPhone getting 3 hours of usage or so).
Performance was poor. Really poor. He complained of apps crashing, well, of course he complained about battery life as well.
If you have held out this far, then you don't have issues - like me - with running older versions of iOS.
There is a huge chance - not to say it's a sure-fire bet - that battery life will severely decrease. Performance differences between 9 and 12? Not sure, I can't answer that. But if it works fine, then don't fix it. Mainly because there's no way back, and chances of something going wrong are high, even more so if we consider iOS 12's track record with battery life. Even if performance is good, I doubt it will be better than iOS 9, and battery life is almost certainly going to severely decrease.
PS: Still happily running iOS 9 on my iPhone 6s.

Reactions: janeauburn

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Don't do it. A friend had a 6+ on iOS 11 and battery life was lower - yes, lower - than my 6s on iOS 9. (A plus should have anywhere between 1.5 to 3 more hours than a regular. Lower? It's the equivalent of my iPhone getting 3 hours of usage or so).
Performance was poor. Really poor. He complained of apps crashing, well, of course he complained about battery life as well.
If you have held out this far, then you don't have issues - like me - with running older versions of iOS.
There is a huge chance - not to say it's a sure-fire bet - that battery life will severely decrease. Performance differences between 9 and 12? Not sure, I can't answer that. But if it works fine, then don't fix it. Mainly because there's no way back, and chances of something going wrong are high, even more so if we consider iOS 12's track record with battery life. Even if performance is good, I doubt it will be better than iOS 9, and battery life is almost certainly going to severely decrease.
PS: Still happily running iOS 9 on my iPhone 6s.

Yeah, I've decided to stay on iOS 9.

As to security concerns, I have none. Has anyone ever met anyone who had their phone hacked? I never have.

Reactions: FeliApple

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Don't do it. A friend had a 6+ on iOS 11 and battery life was lower - yes, lower - than my 6s on iOS 9.
Battery age has such an effect on this, there's no value in this sort of anecdotal comparison. I just had the battery on a 6 replaced, and it gained several hours of life.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Battery age has such an effect on this, there's no value in this sort of anecdotal comparison. I just had the battery on a 6 replaced, and it gained several hours of life.
The impact - in my experience - of degraded batteries is negligible - unless severely degraded - if the iPhone is left on its original iOS version.
Also, plenty of reports that, for example, the iPhone SE has worse battery life with newly replaced batteries after updating, or with high health (upwards of 95%).
Battery health plays a role in it, but the most impacting issue is the iOS version the phone is running.
Is your 6 on iOS 12? How many hours of usage (without taking background music into account) are you getting?

Rhino1

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
There is a much easier technique to checking all of this;

Buy an iPhone SE from the Apple store, upgrade it to iOS 12, put your sim in it and run it for a few days keeping it very safe and clean. If your happy with the battery life and the features simply upgrade. If not stick with iOS 9. Once your done testing simply put the phone back in the box and take it back.

I have two SE's one running 9.3.5 and one running 12. I use the 12 on some days and the 9.3.5 on other days. I get a little more battery life out of the 9.3.5 however I get more app advancements on the 12. They are both great iOS's. One snappy and responsive with good app developments the other built like a tank and rugged and can take on two days + battery.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Buy an iPhone SE from the Apple store, upgrade it to iOS 12, put your sim in it and run it for a few days keeping it very safe and clean. If your happy with the battery life and the features simply upgrade. If not stick with iOS 9. Once your done testing simply put the phone back in the box and take it back.

I have two SE's one running 9.3.5 and one running 12. I use the 12 on some days and the 9.3.5 on other days. I get a little more battery life out of the 9.3.5 however I get more app advancements on the 12. They are both great iOS's. One snappy and responsive with good app developments the other built like a tank and rugged and can take on two days + battery.
Apple isn’t selling the SE anymore.

Rhino1

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
It doesn't have to be from the Apple store;
most places will apply the usual returns policy and some places still have stock.
Mobile providers all over the place still have plenty of stock to buy and try.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

The iPhone SE isn't the 6+. I am unsure of the improvements specific to the 6+ on iOS 12. As I said, the iPhone 6+'s performance on iOS 11 was poor. I don't know if they managed to match the iOS 9 performance on iOS 12. It has higher RAM usage due to the larger screen and it has less RAM (1GB). New iOS versions make RAM the bottleneck, generally (barring highly specific cases, such as the weak A5X on the iPad 3). There really is no device to compare it to, you would have to get another 6+ on iOS 12 and compare battery life and performance directly.
Battery life will be severely worse. Performance... Not sure, but it will surely not be better. You can expect it to be either worse or somewhat similar.
[doublepost=1541248775][/doublepost]
Yeah, I've decided to stay on iOS 9.

As to security concerns, I have none. Has anyone ever met anyone who had their phone hacked? I never have.
I have said it repeatedly, security concerns are, so far, a non-issue. I hope it stays that way.

Rhino1

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
The iPhone SE isn't the 6+. I am unsure of the improvements specific to the 6+ on iOS 12. As I said, the iPhone 6+'s performance on iOS 11 was poor. I don't know if they managed to match the iOS 9 performance on iOS 12. It has higher RAM usage due to the larger screen and it has less RAM (1GB). New iOS versions make RAM the bottleneck, generally (barring highly specific cases, such as the weak A5X on the iPad 3). There really is no device to compare it to, you would have to get another 6+ on iOS 12 and compare battery life and performance directly.
Battery life will be severely worse. Performance... Not sure, but it will surely not be better. You can expect it to be either worse or somewhat similar.
[doublepost=1541248775][/doublepost]
I have said it repeatedly, security concerns are, so far, a non-issue. I hope it stays that way.

[doublepost=1541255263][/doublepost]
Also, plenty of reports that, for example, the iPhone SE has worse battery life with newly replaced batteries after updating, or with high health (upwards of 95%).
Battery health plays a role in it, but the most impacting issue is the iOS version the phone is running.

I was responding to the SE part of your post here.

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009

I would not upgrade. I went from 9 to 12 on my iPad Air 2, and it’s become unusable because certain webpages now reload in loops and crash. It’s not a 6 Plus, but it’s a comparable device in many ways.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would not upgrade. I went from 9 to 12 on my iPad Air 2, and it’s become unusable because certain webpages now reload in loops and crash. It’s not a 6 Plus, but it’s a comparable device in many ways.
At the same time it's also not something that seems to be that many others experience and certainly doesn't appear to be something common/likely.

Reactions: Rhino1

Rhino1

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
At the same time it's also not something that seems to be that many others experience and certainly doesn't appear to be something common/likely.
Agreed. My iPad Air 1 is running flawlessly.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Maybe because very few people jump three versions at once? The difference is quite large. It's almost impossible not to notice, in most cases.
Same case with the battery life: "Seems fine". How much are you getting on your 6s on iOS 12? "4.5 hours". No, I am getting 9. "Well, battery is degraded". No, you just don't remember how iOS 9 was.
People don't remember - which is obvious, you won't if you update every year - so they think that it works that way because the battery is too old, or the performance is poor because the phone is too old.
Again, false. It works that way because it was updated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Same case with the battery life: "Seems fine". How much are you getting on your 6s on iOS 12? "4.5 hours". No, I am getting 9. "Well, battery is degraded". No, you just don't remember how iOS 9 was.
People don't remember - which is obvious, you won't if you update every year - so they think that it works that way because the battery is too old, or the performance is poor because the phone is too old.
Again, false. It works that way because it was updated.
Comment was in relation to a specific issue that was brought up in the quoted post.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I beg to differ. It's not a conjecture. Barring specific exceptions, it's a fact.
A fact that it's a common occurrence that upgrading causes the specific browser website loading issue that was brought up?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
A fact that it's a common occurrence that upgrading causes the specific browser website loading issue that was brought up?
Webpage reloading? Yes, I'd say it's a common occurrence if updated far enough. Crashing? Yes, that too.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Webpage reloading? Yes, I'd say it's a common occurrence if updated far enough. Crashing? Yes, that too.
There are common reports of this being much more noticeably and frequently present after updating to iOS 12?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
There are common reports of this being much more noticeably and frequently present after updating to iOS 12?
iOS 12 is the exception, so far.
Battery life seems really awful on iOS 12, yet overall performance - at least on several iPhone 7s I have seen - is near the initial iOS version, which is a great achievement by Apple.
Specific app-related quirks like those previously stated are still possible and have been reported, though, which is what I'm saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.