Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jrpmsms

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
San Francisco
Is it me? Or have keyboard freezes (I use Swiftkey) increased with this last update? Before... there were a tolerable amount... now... it's like we moved backwards.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Is it me? Or have keyboard freezes (I use Swiftkey) increased with this last update? Before... there were a tolerable amount... now... it's like we moved backwards.

Not with Swype (iPhone 5s) or Path Input for iPad (running on iPad mini2) running iOS8.4 on both.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
My SwiftKey has improved. Not near as much freezing up. Hardly any at all. The keyboard does vanish in messages occasionally. But I'd rather deal with that than have the issues I get with the stock keyboard. I like the SwiftKey features. It's important to me to be able to delete non words from the predictive keyboard library. With stock, you have to delete the entire keyboard dictionary and start over. SwiftKey has a better memory than stock.

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL

I have seen that with SwiftKey and TouchPal. I have also had several instances where the keyboard either switches back to the built-in keyboard or the custom keyboard app will not come up when I tap in an edit field.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Unfortunately ever since iOS9 some of the keyboards have lag some more then others. I hope Path Input and Swype will soon bring out an update if that can resolve it (if it's not an Apple iOS issue). I used Swype on my iPhone and Path Input for iPad on my iPad mini2 untill now. Swype does work quite ok on both devices but you still see quite some lag when you do Spotlight search it takes a bit before the keyboard to show in comparison to Apple's own keyboard.

The lag with Path Input for iPad is awfull. It takes ages in iOS9.

I already contacted both developers. Let's hope this can be resolved.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Yesterday Swype released an iOS9 update but it seems this doesn't resolve the stutter/lag with only Spotlight search so it seems. The odd thing was also that for a selected period of time i couldn't even choose another 3rd party keyboard when i had the Spotlight search open. The icon to switch between keyboards was not available when it was on the Apple keyboard although Swype was selected as a keyboard and the app was completely downloaded. After i also added Path Input for iPhone it worked again and i could select both Path Input and Swype.

- 3rd party keyboards lag is very annoying there is some with Swype (still after yesterdays update) on both iPhone and iPad and major lag with Path Input for iPad
- in some cases i couldn't select the 3rd party keyboard in Spotlight search

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I have no stutter when scrolling in e.g. Settings or Last calls with below two devices.

I really hope that the stuttering/lag with showing the 3rd party keyboard will be resolved. I already discussed this matter with Swype and Path Input. Swype already responded and we tried quite a few things (remove the app, set full access on/off and other things). The result:

iPhone 5s on iOS9.02 - only lag/stuttering when showing Swype or other 3rd party keyboards with Spotlight search (not anywhere else

ipad mini2 on iOS9.02 - only lag/stuttering when showing Swype or other 3rd party keyboards with Spotlight search but also with e.g. Safari or other Apple apps and 3rd party apps.

===

I notice another keyboard in the App Store which is called:

ReBoard: Revolutionary Keyboard By Gursimranjeet Singh | Free, with in-app purchases | needs full access rights - mandatory

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Unfortunately the lag/stutter is still there running iOS9.1 beta 5 on my iPhone 5s especially with the Spotlight search.
Swype did two or three updates recently but weren't able to resolve it so i keep thinking it's related to iOS9 and not their app. It worked so great in IS 8.3/8.4 grr.
My iPad mini2 doesn't even show the third party keyboard Swype after the update of today when i try to do a Spotlight search.

Crusoe

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2014
Swype and Swiftkey seem no worse, but unfortunately no better, running under 9.1B5. And annoyingly I lost the ability in Swype to swipe away from the keyboard to capitalise a letter. Not sure if that's a beta issue or something else.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Unfortunately the lag with showing a third party keyboard such as Swype or Path Input for iPad is still there with the final version iOS9.1 which was released yesterday. Swype released already quite a few iOS9 updates but didn't help so far. The lag is especially visible with my iPad mini2 running 9.1 and also a bit with iPhone 5s it's especially visible with the Spotlight search (scroll down). I sure hope they will get this fixed. In some cases the keyboard doesn't even show on Spotlight and jumps back to Apple's own keyboard while in other apps i do get the Swype keyboard. Very odd behaviour.

iOS9.1 is an improvement but not for the third party keyboards. It was working so good in iOS 8.3/8.4.

I wish Apple would come up with a swiping/slide feature for their own keyboard one day.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Nintype has yet to crash on 9.1. Hasn’t stopped showing up in Spotlight either.

I will test it out with my iPad mini2 how the response is with Nintype especially with Spotlight search it still very stuttering/lag to show a third party keyboard like Swype. The bug with not showing the keyboard happened a few times with Path Input for iPad (no iOS updates since ages) but i did have quite a few times that in Spotlight it jumped back to Apple's keyboard when the Swype keyboard was actually selected.

I bought the Nintype keyboard but didn't like it. It's too difficult to use in my opinion. I kept using Swype.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I found another few keyboards. I just added these also to the topic start post.

Thingthing Keyboard | Thingthing Keyboard app free | needs full access rights - mandatory

dcUgZk7.png

I also noticed that the iOS version of the Go Keyboard now also support swiping gesture:

GO Keyboard | GO Keyboard app free | 36 languages supported | does not need full access rights if your using the English keyboard | You temporary need to give 'full access' to download and select another language then English, you can turn it off again after that and still swipe words. Please note that for some features you still need to turn on full access to use it. | offers language-specific layouts (QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY)

oxja5jd.png

Slash Keyboard | Free | official website | needs full access rights - mandatory

Last edited:
Reactions: nicolas.holao

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I've 100% given up on these. =(

Why? 3rd party SDK bugs are indeed still there in some areas and still sluggish with loading third party keyboards (e.g. Swype) on some older devices (e.g. my iPad mini2) since iOS9>9.2. I'm using Swype daily with both iPhone 5s and iPad mini2 both running iOS9.2. I've read on Twitter a tweet from a beta tester that 9.2.1 is much faster in regards to third party keyboards.

aarontsuru

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Why? 3rd party SDK bugs are indeed still there in some areas and still sluggish with loading third party keyboards (e.g. Swype) on some older devices (e.g. my iPad mini2) since iOS9>9.2. I'm using Swype daily with both iPhone 5s and iPad mini2 both running iOS9.2. I've read on Twitter a tweet from a beta tester that 9.2.1 is much faster in regards to third party keyboards.
because, I want them to work 100% like the stock keyboard. Show up on quick replies, show up everywhere, not be shut down by the OS to where nothing shows up. Etc. I want to grant them the same permissions that Apple's keyboard has so that they work like they did on Android. Until then, they are hampered and I'm not going to bother. Bummer that a marquee feature was so poorly executed.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
because, I want them to work 100% like the stock keyboard. Show up on quick replies, show up everywhere, not be shut down by the OS to where nothing shows up. Etc. I want to grant them the same permissions that Apple's keyboard has so that they work like they did on Android. Until then, they are hampered and I'm not going to bother. Bummer that a marquee feature was so poorly executed.

I agree that it's still super annoying that you can't use a third party keyboard with quick replies!!
It would also be nice to choose to allow this and also use Siri on a third party keyboard. That a third party keyboard is not showing up in my bank app is fine with me.

Reactions: nicolas.holao

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I agree that it's still super annoying that you can't use a third party keyboard with quick replies!!
It would also be nice to choose to allow this and also use Siri on a third party keyboard. That a third party keyboard is not showing up in my bank app is fine with me.
I'm happy with SwiftKey. I've been using it exclusively since the beginning of iOS 8. I have the Stock keyboard deleted. It still shows for passwords and such. But I'm happy. The benefits of SwiftKey outweigh no dictation mic and what not for me.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The guy behind Nintype found a consistent way to not have the keyboards popup. So he's filed a report with Apple and we'll probably have that fixed in 9.3 finally.

Am interested in trying out the Microsoft keyboard. Was nice on my 520.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.