Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
I don’t think I’ve ever experienced as many glitches on my Apple devices since I started buying them. iPadOS is a wreck (for me, your experience may be different) my iPhone isn’t without its issues (11 pro) and my new MacBook under Catalina has issues since I upgraded.

I’m well aware of how bad the alternatives are, I have an msi gaming laptop running windows 10, I tried out a Samsung tab and the other year I briefly ran with a Samsung galaxy 8 and their watch, horrible.

Hopefully Apple iron out the glitches but it’s poor, very poor considering the prices they charge.

Their customer service stinks too, it took me two hours on the phone until they eventually agreed to replace my Apple Watch, which was under AppleCare plus. It was using 49% battery most nights and I’d done everything to try to sort it. The replacement uses almost nothing.

I love Apple and hate them in equal measure.

Reactions: Tozovac and zkap

PeterK44

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
I have an iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 13.2. The force restart sequence (vol up, vol down, power) doesn’t work. Is this a bug?

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Can anyone chime in on this? I just watched a YouTube video explaining things to turn OFF in iOS 13 and they said that most of these things under privacy > system services, should be OFF including motion calibration and distance but isn’t that going to affect the pedometer and overall health fitness tracking?
)

this is what my system services screen looks like
57A95402-8921-4641-BD8C-231BDEA88B39.png
4EA232F8-970C-483D-8C50-F095B60EE505.png

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Can anyone chime in on this? I just watched a YouTube video explaining things to turn OFF in iOS 13 and they said that most of these things under privacy > system services, should be OFF including motion calibration and distance but isn’t that going to affect the pedometer and overall health fitness tracking?
)

this is what my system services screen looks like View attachment 876217 View attachment 876218

Sure. If you don’t want your phone to do anything besides being an email reader. And yes, you will lose the ability to log steps.

I’m not sure where you live but there may be some places in the world where you’d prefer not to let the authorities know where you’ve been. But if you live in the United States or Western Europe, at least for now, most of these things are overkill, in my opinion.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure. If you don’t want your phone to do anything besides being an email reader. And yes, you will lose the ability to log steps.

I’m not sure where you live but there may be some places in the world where you’d prefer not to let the authorities know where you’ve been. But if you live in the United States or Western Europe, at least for now, most of these things are overkill, in my opinion.
Sure, a few particular things like some fitness tracking and/or some location based alerts might be affected, by the vast majority of functionality wouldn’t really be—most of iPhone’s features would still be there and working (certainly very far off from something like just an “email reader”).

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
)

this is what my system services screen looks like View attachment 876217 View attachment 876218
I leave the motion calibration and distance on as apple recommends leaving it on if you have an Apple Watch and want better accuracy tracking running/walking/swimming workouts. I’ve had it on as long as it’s been available and I don’t notice any difference in battery life.

It mainly comes on when your phone is locked and in your pocket and you leave a WiFi location. That seems to trigger it to come on every once and while when you are out and about walking around. It’s just used then to try to estimate your distance walked better than if it was off and just guessing distance based off of steps from your watch and phone. Also it helps calibrate your stride better with the watch and phone together so you get a better result from a run. Also helps for indoor run calibration. I’d say just leave it on!

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I leave the motion calibration and distance on as apple recommends leaving it on if you have an Apple Watch and want better accuracy tracking running/walking/swimming workouts. I’ve had it on as long as it’s been available and I don’t notice any difference in battery life.

It mainly comes on when your phone is locked and in your pocket and you leave a WiFi location. That seems to trigger it to come on every once and while when you are out and about walking around. It’s just used then to try to estimate your distance walked better than if it was off and just guessing distance based off of steps from your watch and phone. Also it helps calibrate your stride better with the watch and phone together so you get a better result from a run. Also helps for indoor run calibration. I’d say just leave it on!

what about “compass calibration”, do you leave that on as well?

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
what about “compass calibration”, do you leave that on as well?
I turned that off. But if I’m using google maps for AR walking around you need it on for it to work properly. Then I just shut it back off. Otherwise it comes on randomly and bugs me.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I turned that off. But if I’m using google maps for AR walking around you need it on for it to work properly. Then I just shut it back off. Otherwise it comes on randomly and bugs me.
Whats the reason you turned "Compass Calibration" off though? Does "Compass Calibration" impact the battery life at all? Does NOTHING else use compass calibration except for Google Maps for the orientation pointing? (Orientation pointing using the Google Maps doesn't work if "Compass Calibration" is turned off in the System services menu as you mentioned above) and Google maps seems to be the only app that is affected by the disabling of "Compass calibration" but how do we know nothing else is affected such as the step counter and workout features of the apple watch and iphone 11 pro?

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
For the moment, iOS 13.2.2. on iPhone XR is the best software experience I’ve had. It’s very fast and smooth and the battery life is amazing (best it’s ever been for me).

On the other hand, iPad OS 13.2.2. is not so hot on my iPad Pro 10,5. The Files app still has ridiculous bugs (1. no file in the files app will open on the first try if it‘s the first time I’m downloading it from the cloud, it will say it cannot be opened then it will open just fine on the second try; 2. using the magic keyboard in the Files app folders means you cannot see the typing area and whatever you type blindly, the app freezes immediately after). Also the iPad drops Wi-Fi (only experienced this while using Safari).

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
For the moment, iOS 13.2.2. on iPhone XR is the best software experience I’ve had. It’s very fast and smooth and the battery life is amazing (best it’s ever been for me).

On the other hand, iPad OS 13.2.2. is not so hot on my iPad Pro 10,5. The Files app still has ridiculous bugs (1. no file in the files app will open on the first try if it‘s the first time I’m downloading it from the cloud, it will say it cannot be opened then it will open just fine on the second try; 2. using the magic keyboard in the Files app folders means you cannot see the typing area and whatever you type blindly, the app freezes immediately after). Also the iPad drops Wi-Fi (only experienced this while using Safari).

You have the same experience as I do. My iPhone is usually rock solid and super stable while my iPad has numerous bugs. The Files app issue you mention is the same for me, usually happens when I try to open a Word document, first time it says the file can't be opened then on the next try it opens just fine. I think this might be on the app developer to fix though since this happened to PDF Expert too before but after their update it works as expected. Same with Apple's Pages, never had that problem with it.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I’ll echo zkap & fredrik9, the updates are getting much much better and more stable, I’ve been using the beta builds of 13 and am currently on 13.3.2, which is amazing on an XR, XS Max, new 11 Pro, & an iPhone 7 - as well as gen 1 of the 12.9, gen 3 of 12.9, & both 9.7 & 10.5” iPad Pros.
‘iPadOS isn’t just iOS 13. It’s literally the first iPad operating system, independent of iPhone, tvOS & watchOS. The split between iOS and iPad‘iPhone is the most obvious and significant of the changes, departures from their similarities and the additions of new and better ways to differentiate the two. And by doing so, seriously showing off the abilities of both devices without both trying to be other. I’m also curious, as this was a first w/iOS 13 - I got the 11Pro for my wife, it’s replacing her iPhone 7. When I went to restore it, I took a picture of one phone using the other and was given the options of either A) downloading from an iCloud backup or B) ‘transferring’ data from my old to the new phone. Wirelessly. (Option C, setting up as a new phone is before you get to the backup options;))
I decided to backup using the air transfer option vs downloading from the latest iCloud backup. It’s a 237GB backup (I got her the 512), and is anticipating a 2 hour transfer. Just curiosity - what’s going on here? Is it an NFC direct data transfer or WiFi/Bluetooth other radio doing the data transfer? When did this option avail itself? I don’t remember it being an option recently when updating an iPad Pro

It’s an extremely cool feature, whenever it came to be - as it saves a TON of bandwidth on a lot of accounts/phones, with hoarders like us;)

j

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Guys, I just bought a new iPad Pro 11 and it came with iPadOS 12.4

Should I update to 13? Has it been fixed all the little issues, or at least the most part?

I really miss the Dark Mode, but I also want a working OS. First time iPad user here

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Firstly when did Apple add this ? :

Not even sure what they do

Attachments

• IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 110

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Guys, I just bought a new iPad Pro 11 and it came with iPadOS 12.4

Should I update to 13? Has it been fixed all the little issues, or at least the most part?

I really miss the Dark Mode, but I also want a working OS. First time iPad user here

Its fine. People tend to be very overdramatic with bugs on here.

Reactions: gwhizkids
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.