Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Noticed this after the recent iOS signing changes, as that provided an easy opportunity to see definitively what happened, and I was curious if anyone knew anything about this.

I updated my 5th gen. iPod touch from 6.0.1 to 6.1.3 and (though I had to connect to Wi-Fi to set it up) immediately placed it in Airplane Mode after exiting the setup app. It never exited Airplane mode or even connected to power since that evening. Several days later, I woke up to a badge on Settings and a notification telling me iOS 8.4.1 was available (though not downloaded).

How the hell did it know that there was an update available? Is Apple playing (or, rather, did they play) some stupid games with Airplane Mode? The only thing that I can think of is that in the 15 or so seconds it was connected to Wi-Fi, it checked for updates and then delayed the notification by a few days, which is still odd.

Anyone know something I don't? My goal, obviously, was to prevent having a badge on Settings.

HoloYolo

Suspended
Jan 10, 2018
Vancouver, Canuckistan
The iPod will get notifications pushed to it whenever it's connected to the internet, but they may not spring up for a while. Also, why upgrade from 6.0.1 to 6.1.3? It would've been rarer and more desirable that way, but oh well...

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
The iPod will get notifications pushed to it whenever it's connected to the internet, but they may not spring up for a while.
I guess it just seemed odd to me that it would have checked for an update during the few seconds setting it up and then "stored" the notification for days before posting it.

Also, why upgrade from 6.0.1 to 6.1.3? It would've been rarer and more desirable that way, but oh well...
6.1.3 performs better than 6.0.1 and – more importantly – the lockscreen music controls are vastly improved. Since I use it exclusively as an iPod, it made more sense to be on 6.1.3. I have no intention of ever selling it.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I guess it just seemed odd to me that it would have checked for an update during the few seconds setting it up and then "stored" the notification for days before posting it.

6.1.3 performs better than 6.0.1 and – more importantly – the lockscreen music controls are vastly improved. Since I use it exclusively as an iPod, it made more sense to be on 6.1.3. I have no intention of ever selling it.
If I may ask, what are the differences between the lockscreen music controls of iOS 6.0.1 and 6.1.3?
I have an iPod Touch 5G on iOS 6.0. Sorry to bother, but can you share a screenshot of the music controls to see the difference?

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
If I may ask, what are the differences between the lockscreen music controls of iOS 6.0.1 and 6.1.3?
I have an iPod Touch 5G on iOS 6.0. Sorry to bother, but can you share a screenshot of the music controls to see the difference?
No problem at all, I already had these on hand anyway. iOS 6.0.x had an awkward black strip on 4" devices between the title and artwork (since it retained the exact same styling as 5.x) when controls weren't displayed.
6.0.0.jpg

6.1.x extended the upper bar on these devices to fill in the gap with more information, as well as redesigning the controls to match the iOS 6 music app and create some beautiful consistency between the lockscreen and the music app.
6.1.3.jpg

Here's another one I found comparing the differences directly:
comparison copy.jpg

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
No problem at all, I already had these on hand anyway. iOS 6.0.x had an awkward black strip on 4" devices between the title and artwork (since it retained the exact same styling as 5.x) when controls weren't displayed.
View attachment 753954

6.1.x extended the upper bar on these devices to fill in the gap with more information, as well as redesigning the controls to match the iOS 6 music app and create some beautiful consistency between the lockscreen and the music app.
View attachment 753955

Here's another one I found comparing the differences directly:
View attachment 753956
Yeah it's definitely nicer and more logical but it does look rare. I've had the 6.0 one for 5 years!!!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Nice! I wish mine was original (I bought it off eBay). With iOS 6, it's a fantastic music device if it only had more storage.
By original you mean that you wished you were the original owner?
As for the storage and music part, I have 32 GB, but I don't use it for Music as I use Apple Music and I cannot have it on iOS 6. I use it as a camera. Have a lot of pictures and videos.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
By original you mean that you wished you were the original owner?
As for the storage and music part, I have 32 GB, but I don't use it for Music as I use Apple Music and I cannot have it on iOS 6. I use it as a camera. Have a lot of pictures and videos.
Yes. Thankfully the casing is pristine, but I still like to know the history.

That's not bad, 32GB should be plenty for pics and videos. I just wish they had made a 128GB model before iOS 7 was released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.