Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
This is my biggest concern as well. Reading threads like this makes me want to stay far away from Android: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/8pko5a/what_do_people_here_think_about_android_and/

Despite what Android users here say, Google *does not* care about its user's privacy. Apple isn't perfect, but I trust Apple with my data. I don't trust Google with it.
Damn, that first post is from Android subreddit, and it got so many likes.

At least they do not deny the reality.

Oh, and the plus, iOS device with Google's spyware installed is not any better than Android phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Damn, that first post is from Android subreddit, and it got so many likes.

At least they do not deny the reality.

Oh, and the plus, iOS device with Google's spyware installed is not any better than Android phone.
Here's what I don't get: Apple doesn't tell you what you know.

If you go to Google History, you can see everything they have. If you have a problem with what's in your google history or how much they know, switch to Apple's third rate default software on iPhone.

It's this simple: Google Apps are better because they are (openly) using your data to make your experience better. Apple is third or fourth rate software and services because they don't use your data but still have the nerve to make them the default.

Differential Privacy is a marketing scam. It doesn't actually work. If poor Apple software makes you happy, have at it.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

If you go to Google History, you can see everything they have. If you have a problem with what's in your google history or how much they know, switch to Apple's third rate default software on iPhone.

It's this simple: Google Apps are better because they are (openly) using your data to make your experience better. Apple is third or fourth rate software and services because they don't use your data but still have the nerve to make them the default.

Differential Privacy is a marketing scam. It doesn't actually work. If poor Apple software makes you happy, have at it.
Except that they get caught all the time not following what they say...so trust google have at it.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
It is sad when people are so caught up on their side that they can’t even accept any criticism of what they like.
It happens both ways, people get attached to a brand like it's a religion. I own the best product I can get for my money, the brand is irrelevant to me. However on MR if you don't love every single Apple product you are labled a 'hater' and told to not post on these forums.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
I have a noob question about Androids security:

Are apps such as AdGuard or Fluent Gestures which want the control over apps and data informations "safe"? I mean: do they collects or see my infos, passwords, etc.?

Last edited:

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I have a Samsung S8, my wife has an iPhone something (7 or 8 I think).

Purely anecdotal, but I can't see any difference in security. I think you're hard-pressed these days to completely keep away from Google (my wife has Gmail, Chrome and Google Maps on the iPhone) if you feel that they are the baddies.

I've not had any money stolen from my bank or any strange men crawling through my bushes, so Android doesn't seem to be causing me any serious harm.

I would imagine a lot of people who drone on about security are members of Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc., and I personally think that is much more of a security risk. I used to be on them until it became very obvious Instagram was listening to us. I immediately closed and deleted it along with Facebook.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I have a noob question about Androids security:

Are apps such as AdGuard or Fluent Gestures which want the control over apps and data informations "safe"? I mean: do they collects or see my infos, passwords, etc.?
You have to read their terms and conditions and then verify when you download it what google thinks you need.
[doublepost=1546189073][/doublepost]
It happens both ways, people get attached to a brand like it's a religion. I own the best product I can get for my money, the brand is irrelevant to me. However on MR if you don't love every single Apple product you are labled a 'hater' and told to not post on these forums.
I don't have a problem with Apple devices, other than bad default software. They're amazing build quality.

I just take exception to the hypocrisy from iPhone users who come over here and tell me how private their data is when they have effectively given away all their information to a different tech giant than I have.

I remember when this subforum was started to allow for Android discussion without all the iOS and Android infighting.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
All I know is that my job requires the most secure off the shelf phones out there, and they yanked back thousands of android phones and replaced them all with iPhones. Blackberries were the most secure. Personally one has to simply remember that if you pay nothing for the product, you are the product.

Do you know what brands those were? I know Huawei and ZTE have fallen out of favor with many corporate security departments, but their issues are in no way indicative of Android security as a whole. This "pulled back thousands of Android phones" means little without context of what brands they were. It's also possible the company decided to just yank all Android devices as a result of the Huawei/ZTE concerns because they didn't know how to block at the manufacturer level rather than at the OS level. The company I support mobile devices for has DOD and DOE contracts, they're not allowing Huawei and ZTE devices but Android is still allowed company-wide.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Feels like that Apple software would be fifth- or sixth-rate by the end there.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Do you know what brands those were? I know Huawei and ZTE have fallen out of favor with many corporate security departments, but their issues are in no way indicative of Android security as a whole. This "pulled back thousands of Android phones" means little without context of what brands they were. It's also possible the company decided to just yank all Android devices as a result of the Huawei/ZTE concerns because they didn't know how to block at the manufacturer level rather than at the OS level. The company I support mobile devices for has DOD and DOE contracts, they're not allowing Huawei and ZTE devices but Android is still allowed company-wide.
They require FIPS 140 Level 2 minimum, only Sammy had that. Then there were problems with those and they removed even those. I wish BB would get FIPS 140 for they Android phones, but to my knowledge they have not.
[doublepost=1546214253][/doublepost]
You have to read their terms and conditions and then verify when you download it what google thinks you need.
[doublepost=1546189073][/doublepost]
I don't have a problem with Apple devices, other than bad default software. They're amazing build quality.

I just take exception to the hypocrisy from iPhone users who come over here and tell me how private their data is when they have effectively given away all their information to a different tech giant than I have.

I remember when this subforum was started to allow for Android discussion without all the iOS and Android infighting.
They have an entire website just for you. I know I go there also. It’s called androidforums.com

I think the real sadness is that you try to falsely equivocate the two companies. No one is saying that Apple is completely (saintly) forthright with everything privacy related. HOWEVER, they are FAR better than Google. The FBI doesn’t even have to worry about getting into Android phones. I wonder why that is that they only have to pay hackers to get into iPhones...

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think the real sadness is that you try to falsely equivocate the two companies. No one is saying that Apple is completely (saintly) forthright with everything privacy related. HOWEVER, they are FAR better than Google. The FBI doesn’t even have to worry about getting into Android phones. I wonder why that is that they only have to pay hackers to get into iPhones...
Spoken like someone who both doesn't understand security and doesn't understand what "equivocate" means.

1. Google is not the reason Android has security issues. By and large, Android OEMs leverage the open source nature of Android to build skins which open up vulnerabilities.
  2. Google phones are very, very secure. Google's own device, the Pixel 3, is on par with iPhone in terms of security.
  3. You mean "equate", not "equivocate"
Stick to what you know. Big words and android security aren't it.

And I'm not leaving. I like the Alternatives crew and the community discussion crew. Not to mention, I like to keep my options open.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
  1. Both run proprietary versions of in-house developed software (iOS and Android with Google Play Services)
  2. Both have on device security management software solutions (Secure enclave and Titan M)
  3. Both have heavily regulated app environments (iOS's closed App Store vs Google Play Protect)
  4. They both receive timely security update (iOS on demand updates and Android's monthly security patches, which appear first on Pixel)
  5. Both farm out their cloud storage to other companies and neither are encrypted.
One thing to keep in mind with Android is it is based on an open source platform. As such, more people are more heavily invested in its security. Vulnerabilities are more difficult to find for everyone on iOS which is a double edged sword. Generally, that means if someone does find an iOS vulnerability (which people certainly have), it takes longer for it to become exposed because there are fewer white and grey hat hackers looking at the codebase.

There are certainly counterpoints to this, and SEVERAL of these arguments do not apply to OEMs like OnePlus and Samsung, but the Google Pixel line of phones is very different and much similar to iPhone in terms of security.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Wow...telling someone to leave because they don't support your point of view....just wow......
In fairness, I did lament the fact that iPhone board people came over here and started bashing android and kind of told them to go back. That being said, I didn't tell them to leave macrumors.

Reactions: jamezr

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016

That's true for anything. Humans are inherently tribal and you can see this anywhere. Politics and religion are the most obvious where one wants their "camp" to win but you can see it in sports, cars, phones, console wars etc.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
That's true for anything. Humans are inherently tribal and you can see this anywhere. Politics and religion are the most obvious where one wants their "camp" to win but you can see it in sports, cars, phones, console wars etc.
Certainly, we are all guilty of it to some extent.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
  1. Both run proprietary versions of in-house developed software (iOS and Android with Google Play Services)
  2. Both have on device security management software solutions (Secure enclave and Titan M)
  3. Both have heavily regulated app environments (iOS's closed App Store vs Google Play Protect)
  4. They both receive timely security update (iOS on demand updates and Android's monthly security patches, which appear first on Pixel)
  5. Both farm out their cloud storage to other companies and neither are encrypted.
One thing to keep in mind with Android is it is based on an open source platform. As such, more people are more heavily invested in its security. Vulnerabilities are more difficult to find for everyone on iOS which is a double edged sword. Generally, that means if someone does find an iOS vulnerability (which people certainly have), it takes longer for it to become exposed because there are fewer white and grey hat hackers looking at the codebase.

There are certainly counterpoints to this, and SEVERAL of these arguments do not apply to OEMs like OnePlus and Samsung, but the Google Pixel line of phones is very different and much similar to iPhone in terms of security.

I don’t know if I would refer to the Google Play Store as heavily regulated.

Zepher

Suspended
Dec 30, 2018
Spoken like someone who both doesn't understand security and doesn't understand what "equivocate" means.

1. Google is not the reason Android has security issues. By and large, Android OEMs leverage the open source nature of Android to build skins which open up vulnerabilities.
  2. Google phones are very, very secure. Google's own device, the Pixel 3, is on par with iPhone in terms of security.
  3. You mean "equate", not "equivocate"
Stick to what you know. Big words and android security aren't it.

And I'm not leaving. I like the Alternatives crew and the community discussion crew. Not to mention, I like to keep my options open.

Android and the Pixel 3 is far from the same terms of security of the iOS. Tell you what, lets both go to Def-Con conference in Las Vegas this year, and I'll have an iPhones, and you have your Pixel, and lets see how quick your device gets broken into vs mine. Let's just say, they warn people to not use Android devices at that conference because they are easily hacked by people at the conference for fun. I go to that conference every year.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Android and the Pixel 3 is far from the same terms of security of the iOS. Tell you what, lets both go to Def-Con conference in Las Vegas this year, and I'll have an iPhones, and you have your Pixel, and lets see how quick your device gets broken into vs mine. Let's just say, they warn people to not use Android devices at that conference because they are easily hacked by people at the conference for fun. I go to that conference every year.

You go to DEF CON every year but don't know about Pwn2Own? How many times were Google owned in 2018 vs Apple? Security through blind worship is worse than security through obscurity.

https://www.thezdi.com/blog/2018/3/14/pwn2own-2018-results-from-day-one

https://www.thezdi.com/blog/2018/3/15/pwn2own-2018-day-two-results-and-master-of-pwn

https://www.zerodayinitiative.com/blog/2018/11/13/pwn2own-tokyo-2018-day-one-results

https://www.zerodayinitiative.com/b...-tokyo-2018-day-two-results-and-master-of-pwn

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
All this data mining is for ads. Ads so accurate they try to sell me my current possessions.

So if Google knows me its personal assistant/info is relevant to me. I get annoyed if autofill doesn't know me. If my privacy isn't compromised when my wife and I.... The rest? I live here and like tech and ukulele. Service user 485748209483975...9. Who cares. I don't get siri being a clueless annoyance when I return to iPhone.

Links on this thread with so many cookie consents the cookie monster passed out with ecstasy. Every website these days has a mini cookie and privacy quiz... Some get a I cant be a$$ed, some get a decline all.

Try as you might the next ad is relevant to your hedge trimmer (ooh errr) search... its all mystery. If you want privacy and your personal info secure bar gps? Get a dumb phone and a landline and have at it.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Zepher

Suspended
Dec 30, 2018

which has nothing to do with Android vs iOS in your first two links. Also, ZeroDayInitiative means nothing in my world of network security when BlackHat and Def-Con are the worlds largest hacking conferences which are more respected than Zero Day. LOL

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.