Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kristijan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hi All,

I have an iPhone 7 running with iOS11. Since upgrading (from the latest iOS10 version), I can no longer use the phone in my Audi using the MMI interface. This is the cable that's in the glove compartment on the passenger side. When I plug it in and eventually get it to recognise the iPhone, it scans for a while and comes back with a message saying it can't find any data formats that it can play.

Connecting the iPhone via Bluetooth still works fine though, but I always preferred connecting via the MMI cable, as the interface would show album/podcast art, and I could navigate using the in car controls.

Bluetooth plays fine, but doesn't show any time codes on what's being played (just shows a running time of 00:00 no matter what I'm playing), and I can't navigate using the in car controls (I can still play/pause using the in car controls though, but not traverse any menus).

I know it's a rather specific problem, but any Audi owners running iOS11 had/having a similar problem?

-Kristijan

littleasian36

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
Hi All,

I have an iPhone 7 running with iOS11. Since upgrading (from the latest iOS10 version), I can no longer use the phone in my Audi using the MMI interface. This is the cable that's in the glove compartment on the passenger side. When I plug it in and eventually get it to recognise the iPhone, it scans for a while and comes back with a message saying it can't find any data formats that it can play.

Connecting the iPhone via Bluetooth still works fine though, but I always preferred connecting via the MMI cable, as the interface would show album/podcast art, and I could navigate using the in car controls.

Bluetooth plays fine, but doesn't show any time codes on what's being played (just shows a running time of 00:00 no matter what I'm playing), and I can't navigate using the in car controls (I can still play/pause using the in car controls though, but not traverse any menus).

I know it's a rather specific problem, but any Audi owners running iOS11 had/having a similar problem?

-Kristijan

What car do you have? I'm driving a 2017 Audi A4. Haven't had any issues using carplay. Was on the ios 11 beta before migrating to the GM version. Have you tried unpairing carplay from your vehicle and deleting the vehicle profile from your phone and then reconnecting?

majid23

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Hi All,

-Kristijan

Same problem here: Bluetooth is ok, MMI interface doesn't work anymore. It stopped working with the fifth beta I believe. It works in cars with CarPlay but not with the older MMI interface (2015/2016 and previous models).

On the plus side, contact pictures work with bluetooth. I wonder if Bluetooth 5 on the iPhone X, which supports more information, will allow album art to be displayed on older MMIs...

Last edited:

Kristijan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
What car do you have? I'm driving a 2017 Audi A4. Haven't had any issues using carplay. Was on the ios 11 beta before migrating to the GM version. Have you tried unpairing carplay from your vehicle and deleting the vehicle profile from your phone and then reconnecting?

I have a 2013 Audi A5, so now CarPlay for me unfortunately :(

Same problem here: Bluetooth is ok, MMI interface doesn't work anymore. It stopped working with the fifth beta I believe. It works in cars with CarPlay but not with the MMI interface.

That sucks, but good to know it's not isolated to just me. Short of sending feedback to both Apple and Audi, have you looked into any other options to get it working again with iOS11? It's not a major loss for me, so I'll wait and see if it's resolved in a point release of iOS...I don't know if Audi even provide MMI software updates for my model car anymore.

majid23

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
I have a 2013 Audi A5, so now CarPlay for me unfortunately :(

That sucks, but good to know it's not isolated to just me. Short of sending feedback to both Apple and Audi, have you looked into any other options to get it working again with iOS11? It's not a major loss for me, so I'll wait and see if it's resolved in a point release of iOS...I don't know if Audi even provide MMI software updates for my model car anymore.

Unfortunately not...I reported it in the feedback app but I doubt enough people did the same to make them look into it.

One thing I did try was to reset the MMI (in my car it's done by holding the MMI menu button, middle button, and top right button at the same time) - connecting the cord would work (album art and everything) the first time after doing that then stop working again. I tried doing this with the GM and it didn't work. Worth a try for you...

Kristijan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Unfortunately not...I reported it in the feedback app but I doubt enough people did the same to make them look into it.

One thing I did try was to reset the MMI (in my car it's done by holding the MMI menu button, middle button, and top right button at the same time) - connecting the cord would work (album art and everything) the first time after doing that then stop working again. I tried doing this with the GM and it didn't work. Worth a try for you...

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see if it produces any different results :)

PeteW65

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Hi All,

-Kristijan

I am having issues with 2 cars since upgrading to iOS11 this week. 2017 A4 will play through bluetooth but as you state the controls to navigate to other music or skip songs have disappeared. I can connect to CarPlay and it works fine but sometimes that is not convenient. I would like to hear if there is a fix either from apple or audi. Our 2015 Q3 now won't work when connected as it won't recognize the device but it will connect with bluetooth. Something funny that looks like a software update is required.

Kristijan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I am having issues with 2 cars since upgrading to iOS11 this week. 2017 A4 will play through bluetooth but as you state the controls to navigate to other music or skip songs have disappeared. I can connect to CarPlay and it works fine but sometimes that is not convenient. I would like to hear if there is a fix either from apple or audi. Our 2015 Q3 now won't work when connected as it won't recognize the device but it will connect with bluetooth. Something funny that looks like a software update is required.

I’m not aware of a fix, but I also haven’t tried since updating the other day to iOS 11.0.1.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
I have a 2015 Audi A3 Quattro and tonight I tried to use voice commands to dial my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 11.0.3. The MMI kept giving me really weird responses to my dial by name voice commands. I tried unpairing and repairing the phone but I couldn’t get voice commands to work properly via the MMI to dial my phone. Anyone else having this issue? I even reset the MMI without success. I did check that all of my contacts are visible via MMI, just can’t get dial by name working.

Josh

Danielsas

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Hi All,

-Kristijan
I’m Having the same problem since the iOS update!!!

Triumph675

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
I have a 2015 Audi A3 Quattro and tonight I tried to use voice commands to dial my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 11.0.3. The MMI kept giving me really weird responses to my dial by name voice commands. I tried unpairing and repairing the phone but I couldn’t get voice commands to work properly via the MMI to dial my phone. Anyone else having this issue? I even reset the MMI without success. I did check that all of my contacts are visible via MMI, just can’t get dial by name working.

Josh
[doublepost=1508853839][/doublepost]Same problem here, since upgrading my Iphone 6, voice commands will not work in my Audi A3 64 plate
Very annoying, no idea how to fix?

andx

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2017
Same with my Hyundai;
Try with 11.1 beta 5 and tell us if has been fixed....some Ford Users solved with that relase

mszilard

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2012
BT works with my 2013 Audi A6, but the phone calls volume through BT is so low, i have to turn up the volume all the way up to hear something through the cars speakers.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Just wanted to let you guys know that iOS 11.1 beta 4 fixed the bluetooth and usb/lightning connections with my 2011 Hyundai, so there's hope that your connectivity could be fixed as well.

It's likely going to be released next week - just before the iPhone X launch.

Reactions: andx

carlosandresmendoza

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2017
Hi All,

-Kristijan

Same horrible problem here: brand new A1 with MMI 3G+. Iphone 7 iOS 11.1.2 keeps disconnecting and connecting from MMI. Checked with green and yellow cables, green (older) is much better but don’t display album art. Yellow displays album art but it’s a mess disconnecting every 10 or 20 seconds!!!

Anyone found a solution???? I think Audi should not sale cars with infotainmet that don’t work with the current technologies!

Kristijan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Same horrible problem here: brand new A1 with MMI 3G+. Iphone 7 iOS 11.1.2 keeps disconnecting and connecting from MMI. Checked with green and yellow cables, green (older) is much better but don’t display album art. Yellow displays album art but it’s a mess disconnecting every 10 or 20 seconds!!!

Anyone found a solution???? I think Audi should not sale cars with infotainmet that don’t work with the current technologies!

I gave up trying to find a solution, and just use Bluetooth now. It's annoying, and I'm not happy about it, but it seems to be the only option :(

crujones727

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
San Francisco
Exact same problem. I have a 2012 A6, and unfortunately no CarPlay option - just the cord in the glovebox. I upgraded the iOS, and now I can't use my phone. Really, really sucks.

MyAudiSucks

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017

[doublepost=1513277723][/doublepost]I bought a brand new 2018 Audi A4 with the MMI. It won't even recognize my iphone 7 plus with the latest iOS. It has never connected vis USB since the MMI can't even find it. The phone connects via bluetooth for talking only, and that's it. After a few weeks of complaints and the so-called tech support from AudiUSA the final verdict is them telling me to take my car to a dealership. I am looking at legal options at this point.

imartez

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2017
[doublepost=1513277723][/doublepost]I bought a brand new 2018 Audi A4 with the MMI. It won't even recognize my iphone 7 plus with the latest iOS. It has never connected vis USB since the MMI can't even find it. The phone connects via bluetooth for talking only, and that's it. After a few weeks of complaints and the so-called tech support from AudiUSA the final verdict is them telling me to take my car to a dealership. I am looking at legal options at this point.

I have a 2018 S4 and am using an iPhone X. Carplay has issues and is not really reliable but I can't see pursuing legal action because a feature on the MMI is not working. Can you help me understand why you are going the legal route?

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
No issues here with iPhone X and Audi A4 (2016) be it CarPlay or Bluetooth.
Are you using the original Apple USB cable or an aftermarket?

MyAudiSucks

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017
I have a 2018 S4 and am using an iPhone X. Carplay has issues and is not really reliable but I can't see pursuing legal action because a feature on the MMI is not working. Can you help me understand why you are going the legal route?

I paid for a car and all of its features as advertised. The car isn't functioning as it should which means that I paid for something that doesn't work. Now I have to take my time off from work to take it to a dealership and pay for a car rental because in my experience of owning Audi for more than 11 years, a dealership has never offered me a loaner car, and even when I did ask for one, they bluntly said "We are all out."
Maybe you are okay with paying for a service/product that doesn't work but it's not okay with me. PLUS the car came with USB Cables and other stupid options that are way overpriced but I picked it because I needed a car fast and it was the closest match to what I wanted. And yes, I used the ridiculously overpriced USB cables that came with the car. Genuine Audi parts made in Romania, LMAO!!!!

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Never had those type of dealer issues with my couple of Audi. Sorry you have that. The cables that it comes with are also dealer options and obviously your dealer didn't attempt to find out what you needed.
The problem I think with Car Play is determining if it is an auto issue or an Apple issue or both. Personally, I think I have a few of both with my VW - probably some of the same electronics in an Audi.

ElsaS6

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2018
I happened to forget my phone attached to my adapter in the glove box and when I started the car I no longer had the MMI problem. I have 09 S6. Hope this helps

FanciFiasco

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2018
I paid for a car and all of its features as advertised. The car isn't functioning as it should which means that I paid for something that doesn't work. Now I have to take my time off from work to take it to a dealership and pay for a car rental because in my experience of owning Audi for more than 11 years, a dealership has never offered me a loaner car, and even when I did ask for one, they bluntly said "We are all out."
Maybe you are okay with paying for a service/product that doesn't work but it's not okay with me. PLUS the car came with USB Cables and other stupid options that are way overpriced but I picked it because I needed a car fast and it was the closest match to what I wanted. And yes, I used the ridiculously overpriced USB cables that came with the car. Genuine Audi parts made in Romania, LMAO!!!!
[doublepost=1528746124][/doublepost]

Any Update on legal option? have a friend going thru the same here in CA. She wanted to try to lemon her 2018 Q3 but Audi service techs report they can pair up so she should be able to. She keeps getting disconnected. has had the car in the shop 4 times now and they will keep it for days.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.